Viking Rhine Getaway -- newbie questions

trish1c

This looks like a good & well priced introductory river cruise. So now I have some questions for all of you.

We're thinking about April 2014.

We can either sail from Amsterdam to Basel Switzerland or the reverse. Does it matter?

The ships are the Sun vs. the Helvetia. From what I've read, they seem similar. One was built in 2005; the other in 2006. Does anybody know if one is better than the other? I haven't read the CC reviews yet but will.

Does Viking do a good job booking air? They said they are running a special, $500 off from the NYC area. When traveling domestically, I usually DIY but I have never had luck booking air to / through Europe without a TA. I really don't want to deal with booking flights into one AP & flying home from another. I never seem to get that right. :o

Why is the price for these trips so much better? The lowest cabin catagory starts at $1800 pp v. $2800 / $3200 I'm seeing on other trips / dates. While I love a good bargain, I don't want to be miserable. I'm guessing this is the rainy season?

I'm sure I'll have a lot more questions as we continue to think about this.

There are lock closures for yearly maintainance during April. Over on the river cruise board you might get one of our German posters to help with the exact dates. There can also be high water problems due to snow runoff. We usually try to wait til the end of April. Good luck Pat

We were on the Sun in December of 2012, Amsterdam to Basel. I don't think it matters which direction - I haven't been on the Helvetica but I think it is a sister ship to the Sun, which is a terrific ship. The entire cruise was fantastic - lots of time in the ports, good tours - Viking is top notch, you won't regrert booking with them. I always do my air through them - the price they offer is great and the included transfers are awesome - you never have to touch your bags after you get out of baggage claim, very nice. It's a terrific cruise - hope you enjoy it as much as we did! :D

We were on the Helvetia in November 2012. Loved it. Crew was great, rooms were a nice size. We booked our air with Viking using their custom air. Their pricing was much better than if we booked on our own. We sailed Amsterdam to Basel and did a pre and post package with Viking as well. This was our first river cruise and now we are hooked.

Have fun!

Maryann

• 1 month later...

Trish1c - The average tempature in April in Amsterdam is 35 to 55. But the tulips will be blooming towards the end of April. Shortly after April the tulips are cut down at the Keukenhof so if you have your heart set on seeing them bloom go for April. Just wear layers. As far as rainy season it's typically more rainy during Sept, Oct and Nov. Of course it could rain anytime in Amsterdam and it can be seasonably cool anytime.

We prefer to go to Europe in later May and early June. It's just nicer weatherwise and usually other things are in bloom. It's a personal choice. Have fun whenever you go.

• 2 weeks later...

you can google average tempatures for Amsterdam and get past averages but it all depends on current weather patterns. for June 9th I found an average low tempature of 51F and average high tempature of 65F.

We're from a cool weather state and would find that to be on the cool side. Your best bet is take along layers. Sweater, spring jacket and raincoat. Have a great trip

sadiemay ~ we've been in Amsterdam 3x now (all for cruises) in late June, mid July and early September. All 3 times its been on the cool side - but we never hit cold weather. In 2010 we took an early July Baltic cruise - it was the warmest ever in Russia (summer heat fires in Moscow later that July) but when we returned to spend some time in Amsterdam it was cooler there!

Paulinda is correct - layers! I usually bring thin long sleeve tops (even turtlenecks) that I can wear under other tops/blouses. I have one black, one whilte that are almost always packed and many times I've been veryhappy to use them! They wash/dry easily also.

Amsterdam is a great fun city with lots to do and see - hav e awonderful time!

Thankyou! That was very helpful. I think I was planning too many light, short sleeve items. I will definitely add items for layering. We used to live in New England but the last 16 years in North Carolina have me thinking too warm for that location. Thanks again!

Edited by sadiemay

I think short sleeves for early June might be not be warm enough - but you never know! I usually monitor the weather for about a month or so before traveling - can't be fool proof but usually help in getting an idea of tempertures!

Good Lucj and have a fabulous trip!!

Lori' date=' December 2012, what was the weather?[/quote']

Well, when we were there on December 5th, 2012, it was COLD - for a Floridian at least - About 40 deg. I agree with the responses above - layers are the way to go but I also had a long, down-filled coat with a hood over my layers - kept me pretty toasty the entire trip. It was a bit bulky but pretty light and it went down almost to my knees - great idea in the cold, as we had plenty of snow in other ports.

Lori ~ PLEASE tell me more about your December 2012 trip!! We sail December 7th from Basel to Amsterdam on Viking Rinda and would love to hear any and all you can tell us about the ports - especially the Christmas Markets - and Basel - we'll be there 2 days pre-cruise.

Does Viking run their usual tour?

Do they run extra tours/shuttles to the Christmas Markets?

Evenings - is it possible to see the markets on your own or do they have tours?

Anything "special" we should look for at any of the markets?

Thanks much for your time in answering!!

Lori ~ PLEASE tell me more about your December 2012 trip!! We sail December 7th from Basel to Amsterdam on Viking Rinda and would love to hear any and all you can tell us about the ports - especially the Christmas Markets - and Basel - we'll be there 2 days pre-cruise.

Does Viking run their usual tour?

Do they run extra tours/shuttles to the Christmas Markets?

Evenings - is it possible to see the markets on your own or do they have tours?

Anything "special" we should look for at any of the markets?

Thanks much for your time in answering!!

Peg - if you really want to hear about the ports, please send me your email and I will email you my travel blogs - they are very detailed and will give you a good idea of what you will see - I'd be happy to share them.

Viking has a tour in ever town you will go - after all of them except one, the Marburg castle tour (which is the day your ship goes through the section of the Rhine that has the most castles), you will have plenty of extra time to wander about on your own. With the exception of Strasbourg, France, there are no shuttle services from your ship to the markets but the rest of them are within a short walking distance of where you are docked - we would go back and forth, sometimes several times, from the ship to the markets and the towns. The Basel markets have the advantage of a lovely tram system that goes throughout the entire town - just hop on and off as you like - and all of the hotels there give you a 2 days pass to use all the transport systems, buses and trams, for free - a great perk!

Special items? Well, there are just hundreds of handcrated goodies at all of the markets - we brought back a gluwein mug from each market we went to (they all have their own individual mugs - if you don't like mulled wine, get hot chocolate!), some lovely small christmas pyramids that look like they are made out of chrome snowflake lace, a few smokers (GREAT gifts and really neat!). Rudeshiem on the Drosselglasse had wonderful shops and stalls - the market is all along the riverside main road - but there was an absolutely fantastic shop on the Drosselglosse, across from the Schloss -that sold wooden ornaments and other items at REALLY great prices. I got two christmas pyramids - they are about 18" tall, with the Holy family on the carosel - for about $12 each and I LOVE them! I gave one to a friend as a christmas gift and she actually cried with joy, she had had one as a child and missed it. You will have PLENTY of wonderful gifts to choose from!

Some more advice - the Christmas markets in Basel, Switzerland are lovely and have most of the same items you will find throughout the rest of the trip - but are 2 to 4 times more expensive for the SAME items! So window shop in Basel and BUY, buy buy in Germany and France! But DEFINITELY eat at the markets - the bratwurst sandwhiches are heaven on a bun!Also, if you are in the market for a cuckoo clock, there is a HUGE and absolutely fabulous selection in the clock shop they take you to in the black forest - all sizes and price ranges and VERY reasonable for the quaility - and PLEASE - forget the calories, eat a slice of the black forest cake - it is terrific!

Let me know what else you would like to know about! :D

Lori ~ sounds FABULOUS!!!!! I'd say I can't wait but we have SO many wonderful things happening this year still coming and I don't want to wish away the time! But its great knowing we'll have such a great trip to look forward to and all of the advice and suggestions help!!!!

YES - I'd love to read your blogs!!! email is my screen name at aol dot com - thank You SO very much!!!!

Someone else warned about prices being higher in Basel but then there's seemed to conflicting comments about each market having different items. I've had enough "buyer's regret" when I haven't seen something after passing it up but I'll be careful in Basel! Just going and seeing the lights and stalls and decorations and food - just what we've wanted!!! Its funny but for the past maybe 10 years NYC has had Christmas Markets in 2 or 3 places - but almost no food - unless you count the usual greasy watered hot dogs! So the idea of the mulled wine and brats and all the pastries I've seen photos of sounds SO appealing!!!!!

Thanks again for your time - will get back to you with any questions!!

Lori ~ sounds FABULOUS!!!!! I'd say I can't wait but we have SO many wonderful things happening this year still coming and I don't want to wish away the time! But its great knowing we'll have such a great trip to look forward to and all of the advice and suggestions help!!!!

YES - I'd love to read your blogs!!! email is my screen name at aol dot com - thank You SO very much!!!!

Someone else warned about prices being higher in Basel but then there's seemed to conflicting comments about each market having different items. I've had enough "buyer's regret" when I haven't seen something after passing it up but I'll be careful in Basel! Just going and seeing the lights and stalls and decorations and food - just what we've wanted!!! Its funny but for the past maybe 10 years NYC has had Christmas Markets in 2 or 3 places - but almost no food - unless you count the usual greasy watered hot dogs! So the idea of the mulled wine and brats and all the pastries I've seen photos of sounds SO appealing!!!!!

Thanks again for your time - will get back to you with any questions!!

I know what you mean - but there is a lot of similarity between the markets in Switzerland and Basel - but as you said, if you see something you cannot pass up, go ahead and get it - but if you see it again later in the trip, just don't ask the price!! LOL.

Also, don't forget to BARGAIN! They would not deal in Basel but they did in France and Germany.

Keep a lookout - I will send you my travel journals to your email - and don't hesitate to ask more ???'s if you think of any!

I know what you mean - but there is a lot of similarity between the markets in Switzerland and Basel - but as you said, if you see something you cannot pass up, go ahead and get it - but if you see it again later in the trip, just don't ask the price!! LOL.

Also, don't forget to BARGAIN! They would not deal in Basel but they did in France and Germany.

Keep a lookout - I will send you my travel journals to your email - and don't hesitate to ask more ???'s if you think of any!

Hey Lori - would love it if you could send me your travel blog as well - we are doing a slightly different trip this Dec but would love to read your blogs. My email is lcox104 at comcast dot net

Hey Lori - would love it if you could send me your travel blog as well - we are doing a slightly different trip this Dec but would love to read your blogs. My email is lcox104 at comcast dot net

I'll be happy to - watch for it later this evening! :)

They have been sent to your email - hope you enjoy them!

I am too cheap to ship stuff (I'd rather buy more stuff with the $$!) - I packed everything carefully and hauled it home - with only ONE exception - the cukoo clock we bought in the black forest shop. They gave me a lovely discount that more than covered them shipping it directly to me - it arrived just a few days after I did, in perfect shape!

Enjoy your cruise! :D

• 3 weeks later...
Sent the travel journals to both of you, hope you enjoy them! :)

Lori,

Ff its not too much trouble I would appreciate it if you could also send me a copy of your Viking Rhine cruise travel journal. We are on the Forseti sailing from Amsterdam Nove 23rd.

Thanks!

Bill

billK400@yahoo.com

Edited by BillK400