Cherbourg or le havre ?

dalgirl

Cherbourg is the more convenient for the American D-Day sights - the first sight is Ste Mere Eglise, taken by US airborne forces, and it's about 24 miles from Cherbourg. The American cemetery & Omaha beach are about 50 miles, the furthest beach (Sword, in the British sector) is about 85 miles.

From Le Havre, Sword is 66 miles, Omaha 90, Ste Mere Eglise 112.

Cherbourg is also more convenient for Bayeux at 60 mls vs 80 mls and there's also a train service from Cherbourg.

Cherbourg too for Mont St Michel, about 110 mls vs 140.

Each has a number of minor sights that are inconvenient from the other. For instance from Le Havre there's Rouen (by train or road), Monet's Garden, or nearby coastal sights & towns such as Honfleur, Etretat, Deauville/Trouville.

But first be sure to check the hours in port.

Le Havre sailings are often mid-evening. This is to allow time for those travelling to Paris, but also overcomes the extra distances to the D-Day sights & Mont St Michel.

Cherbourg is often only a half-day, which screws up pretty-well everything except a whistle-stop ship's tour of some of the US D-Day sights.

Other than those trains above, and a pretty infrequent bus service Le Havre to Honfleur, you'll need road transport. A tour, a rented car, or for shorter distances (eg Honfleur from Le Havre at under 30 minutes) a taxi.

Also bear in mind that for car rental from either port, Sundays can be problematic. And for a late return to Le Havre you need to make sure you can return the car after business hours.

Instead of either of those ports, some smaller ships call at Honfleur or sail up the Seine to Rouen.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

My friend JB has nailed-it and there is not much we can add other then to pay particular attention to the hours you would be in the port. Sometimes, ships will give you a much longer port day in Le Havre (because of tours that go to Paris) which can make it a better choice. But all things being equal we also prefer Cherbourg if we are planning on driving to some of the D-Day beaches. There are a few rental car offices in town within a 15 min walk from the pier.

Hank

We visited Cherbourg last October. As you get off the ship straight ahead is La Cité de la Mer, a family attraction. It has an Aquarium, Titanic Exhibition, Submarine and an interactive activity. We thought it was an excellent attraction and although you could easily spend the whole day there we were there for about 4 hours, then we walked into the town, about 20 minutes or so and had a very nice lunch and walked back (although there were shuttle coaches available). There is also a shopping center near to the terminal

thanks for the detailed info. Both stops have full days, so that is not a problem. And I admit that I am more interested in castles and gardens than battlefields. Le Havre might work best. I will keep investigating.

There are several besutiful chateaus and gardens within easy access of Cherbourg very close to the N13 road going South from Cherbourg.

Mont St Michel is nearly 2 hours by car from Cherbourg, but you'll be able to take in chateaus and gardens on route. Mont St Michel is quite a drive from Le Havre, but in either port you will benefit from having a car rental.

Hope this helps?

Kevin

• 1 year later...

Hello John

Thank you so much for your very informative post. We are stopping in Cherbourg for a long day on an Azamara cruise. Would you know anything about the two frequently recommended D Day tour companies, D Day Battle Tours and Overlord? Can you tell me about how long a ride it would be from Cherbourg to "probable" first stop at the sites and an average time in car between all of the others. We are talking about probably a 12- 13 hour day. Next, can you comment on any difficulties with walking at the various sites. We have no mobility issues, are "older but active":cool: but wonder if our walking more slowly than folks 10 or 15 years younger would hinder us OR the other tour participants. We are considering joining a group who has rented a van for 8 people.

We also stop in Honfleur for a shorter day. Are we close enough to Monet's Garden to consider arranging a private tour? If yes, how long a trip & would you recommend it or suggest walking in Honfleur is a better option. Thank you!

Didi

Cherbourg is the more convenient for the American D-Day sights - the first sight is Ste Mere Eglise, taken by US airborne forces, and it's about 24 miles from Cherbourg. The American cemetery & Omaha beach are about 50 miles, the furthest beach (Sword, in the British sector) is about 85 miles.

From Le Havre, Sword is 66 miles, Omaha 90, Ste Mere Eglise 112.

Cherbourg is also more convenient for Bayeux at 60 mls vs 80 mls and there's also a train service from Cherbourg.

Cherbourg too for Mont St Michel, about 110 mls vs 140.

Each has a number of minor sights that are inconvenient from the other. For instance from Le Havre there's Rouen (by train or road), Monet's Garden, or nearby coastal sights & towns such as Honfleur, Etretat, Deauville/Trouville.

But first be sure to check the hours in port.

Le Havre sailings are often mid-evening. This is to allow time for those travelling to Paris, but also overcomes the extra distances to the D-Day sights & Mont St Michel.

Cherbourg is often only a half-day, which screws up pretty-well everything except a whistle-stop ship's tour of some of the US D-Day sights.

Other than those trains above, and a pretty infrequent bus service Le Havre to Honfleur, you'll need road transport. A tour, a rented car, or for shorter distances (eg Honfleur from Le Havre at under 30 minutes) a taxi.

Also bear in mind that for car rental from either port, Sundays can be problematic. And for a late return to Le Havre you need to make sure you can return the car after business hours.

Instead of either of those ports, some smaller ships call at Honfleur or sail up the Seine to Rouen.

Hello John

Thank you so much for your very informative post. We are stopping in Cherbourg for a long day on an Azamara cruise. Would you know anything about the two frequently recommended D Day tour companies, D Day Battle Tours and Overlord? Can you tell me about how long a ride it would be from Cherbourg to "probable" first stop at the sites and an average time in car between all of the others. We are talking about probably a 12- 13 hour day. Next, can you comment on any difficulties with walking at the various sites. We have no mobility issues, are "older but active":cool: but wonder if our walking more slowly than folks 10 or 15 years younger would hinder us OR the other tour participants. We are considering joining a group who has rented a van for 8 people.

We also stop in Honfleur for a shorter day. Are we close enough to Monet's Garden to consider arranging a private tour? If yes, how long a trip & would you recommend it or suggest walking in Honfleur is a better option. Thank you!

Didi

Hi, Didi,

I've driven Normandy coach tours with local guides, but I've never been on a private a tour.

Overlord is by far the best-known small-group operator on Cruise Critic and I've never seen a negative review.

I don't know D-Day Battle Tours, but don't read anything untoward into that.

The nearest sight to Cherbourg is the village of Ste Mere Eglise, taken by US Airborne troops. Amongst other things, there's an Airborne museum, and the dummy of a parachutist tangled-up on the church roof - he survived by "playing dead" until his comrades secured the area.

It's about 30 minutes from the port on a fast road.

But that might be the last stop, not the first. Tour operators often wisely make the nearest place the last stop, so that if there's some delay earlier in the day they can curtail that stop or even pass it by, rather than risk missing a sailing.

Probably your first stop will be the furthest one, the American Cemetery, about an hour from the port. This gives your guide time to give you a précis of the tour and the background to the invasion on your way.

You might go as far east as Arromanches, another 30 minutes (this on the coastal lanes), but I doubt that would be the first stop. Possibly also inland to Bayeux with its cathedral and tapestry (unrelated to D-Day. From Arromanches or from the American Cemetery, west along the lanes to probably include Pointe Du Hoc, possibly the German cemetery at La Cambe (a stark contrast to the America Cemetery), possibly Utah beach and almost-certainly Ste-Mere Eglise.

No drive between sights is likely to be more than 20 minutes.

There's perhaps a ten minute walk between the parking lot and Pointe du Hoc.

And the American Cemetery is quite a big site.

Elsewhere IIRC everything is pretty close at hand.

No massive walking problems.

Some steps if you want to visit the museum (underground) at the American Cemetery, perhaps some uneven ground at Pointe du Hoc and at the German battery at Longues if you tour visits there, but no need to take to the uneven ground.

If you feel that you're holding up the group (I doubt it, there are unlikely to be any spring chickens ;)) you can always suggest to the guide that they go ahead & you'll catch up, or that you'll do your own thing and meet them at the bus. You'd still see pretty-well as much as the others, you just might miss out on some of the guide's narration.

-----------------------------------------------------

Monet's Garden is about 90 minutes by road from Honfleur.

Not practical by public transport - you'd need a taxi (or be lucky with the timing of the very infrequent bus service) for the half-hour drive to Le Havre station, then a Paris-bound train as far as Vernon, then again bus or taxi for the last 3 miles to Monet's Garden.

I've not been there so can't comment how worthwhile.

And its not my sort of place.

For myself I'd be content with a bit of wandering and shopping in pretty Honfleur - or more likely just watching others doing that, from behind a long cool beer at an outside table of one of the many harbourside bars & cafes.

A relaxing lazy way to spend a short shore-trip.

John,

Once again THANK YOU! I am feeling much more comfortable about traveling with the people (younger:)) who arranged for private tour & posted on our roll call.

And enjoying a glass of beer or wine after wandering in Honfleur sounds perfect!:cool:

Didi

• 1 month later...
We visited Cherbourg last October. As you get off the ship straight ahead is La Cité de la Mer, a family attraction....had a very nice lunch and walked back (although there were shuttle coaches available).

What kind of shuttles? Provided by the cruise company? This sounds great for our young grands and their parents while we go visit D-day sites.

--D

• 2 months later...
My friend JB has nailed-it and there is not much we can add other then to pay particular attention to the hours you would be in the port. Sometimes, ships will give you a much longer port day in Le Havre (because of tours that go to Paris) which can make it a better choice. But all things being equal we also prefer Cherbourg if we are planning on driving to some of the D-Day beaches. There are a few rental car offices in town within a 15 min walk from the pier.

Hank

Hello John

Didi

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app