Scooters use for a NZ to AUS cruise: Several questions.

mlbcruiser

Sorry this will take a couple minutes to read, but I could really use some input!

I don't know if I should push the issue of renting a scooter on a cruise from NZ to Australia with my DH or not. Although my husband can walk and use stairs, and can dirve with one hand, he is somewhat mobility impaired (R leg, R arm & hand) in that doing too many sessions of walking in close sequence, or standing still for more than a few minutes, sometimes requires that he sit down. The handicap can build as the day or excursion goes on. While he can often walk for a few blocks to even a mile or more at home in our neighborhood, in general he walks more slowly than an average person, with care for his balance. He must be particularly mindful of curbs and in the areas he is unfamiliar with. Just ambling around or stopping many times to stand still and listen to a tour guide's talk can be tough on him. He rarely will even use a cane, but on rare occasions he does. He also refused to use a scooter or automatic wheelchair when we did a cruise to Alaska a year ago.

We have done a couple of cruises (Alaska, Cuba) and a guided tour (Ireland) since his disability began about 18 months ago. Without a scooter. In some locations, he got off the bus and walked around a bit, and sometimes didn't. A few times we walked a few blocks to find a restaurant or something. There were times where we'd set out, but he'd decide quickly that he needed to sit or go back to the ship. We are about to do a Rhine River cruise (no scooter) and although he says he'll be able to handle the tours, I know that in many cases he likely won't be able to, and will just decide to stay on the ship. I expect we'll be doing things on our own and/or I'll be doing a tour or shopping alone. I bought him a cane with a flip down stool for the upcoming Rhine cruise thinking it would help him to be able to sit for a couple of minutes whenever he felt the need. However, he returned it, saying he didn't like it, it would be too awkward to use, and he wouldn't use it. (I mention that just to show the opposition I'm dealing with. I'm not saying the stool was super comfy, but it could've been used if necessary.) A big part of it is his pride. Plus he has always been the type to avoid dragging along anything that needs to be carried or stored, so that is nothing new. He has used a driveable wheelchair 2 or 3 times at ONE venue - a very large professional sports arena that our son in law (who is involved with this sport) had to use after surgery. Although our daughter and I really had to talk him into using that, he realizes it makes going to a game there lots easier on everyone in our group with regard to his getting around more easily and quickly. And faster - for us and for him!

What prompted my post is we have a Princess cruise from New Zealand to Australia booked for next year. Not sure if we should try it or not. (DH is REALLY griping about the long flight, and I know that won't be fun. Our longest flight ever was to/from China from middle America, so we do have experience with that. Due to the cost of airfare, there will be no first, business or comfort class for us!) Coupled with the mobility issue, I'm on the fence over whether to do this cruise or not. Until DH had a medical issue that greatly affected his right leg and arm, we were pretty active - various water sports like diving, snorkeling, boating, wave running, tubing, snow skiing, zip lining, hiking, danced once in a while, etc. NZ is great for active pursuits, but I'm resigned to the fact that those aren't the things we'll be doing and think we'll still enjoy it. I am thinking perhaps DH would enjoy the cruise and trip much more if he rented a light weight travel scooter. (?) He wouldn't need it all the time. (Not likely on board the ship very much.) However, I am thinking it would enhance his sightseeing ability and stamina greatly when on excursions.

Hoping for some input and insight with those of you who have dealt with this issue and used a scooter or your loved one has. Especially on a Down Under cruise!

Thanks for any replies and again, sorry for the length of this for anyone who read this far!

I will try to answer a bit of this. Actually I found Australia (never been to New Zealand) quite easy to cruise from. However, set your expectations of European river cruising quite low. The double and triple docking where you have to cross one or two ships before you reach the edge of the river and then have to go up moss covered steps to street level is quite an experience. I could not do that now.

I was quite stubborn about using a scooter until my daughter had "words" with me about how difficult I was making travel for my husband - and that was well before my post-polio deteriorated. Now I travel with a travelscoot brand collapsible scooter. We primarily do independent tours to avoid the steps up into large buses. If you do get to Australia I think you would love being there. Our frequent flyer miles allowed us to travel in business which did make the long travel more bearable. If I had it to do over, I would cruise to Australia and fly back to the states. Somehow that seems easier to me. We did an Australia to San Francisco cruise that also allowed us to visit the east coast of Asia, South Korea and Japan. We had about a week in Australia before the cruise and were very impressed with the warmth of the people, the curb cuts, and the lack of cobblestones.

Scooter will certainly make it easier in some ports - especially as I'd imagine on the sort of itinerary you're looking at, you'd at very least have stops in Dunedin, Wellington and Auckland - which take a bit of getting round if you decide you want to go out sightseeing on your own.

If you and he do decide on a scooter, I'd strongly suggest that it's a lightweight one that can be dismantled.

At least one port, possibly two (Akaroa and Bay of Islands, though not all cruises go through BoI ) are tender - I've never had an issue with Princess tendering with my wheelchair, whether or not they permit lightweight scooters (maybe, if the parts come in under the weight limit?) I don't know.

But probably half the NZ ports, you really need to either have hired a car, or make use of the shuttle service to get anywhere - in Dunedin, the ship actually docks at Port Chalmers (which is I think about 12-13km from Dunedin) and currently in Wellington passengers have to be shuttled through by bus as the ships are using the commercial port due to the earthquake - though that may well have changed by next year. Others may have experienced different, but I found in every port, there was only one low-floor/roll on bus operating as a shuttle, and the rest maybe 50/50 between tour bus type and school bus (I.e. no storage space) - but if your husband can manage bus steps with assistance, at least a scooter you can break down means you can get on a tour bus if need be and get the driver to stow the scooter underneath (which is what I did with my chair when I had to) - rather than being like one poor lady on our cruise, who had a large scooter and had to wait close to 1 1/2 hours for a bus she could board.

Not sure what Australian cities you'd be visiting (Sydney or Melbourne?) I don't know a great deal about getting around Sydney - just that it's bloody enormous! Melbourne is generally not too bad, but it is big - just not quite as big as Sydney. There are some hilly bits even in the CBD, but a scooter ought to handle most of them with no problem. Trams are a pain in the proverbial if you use any sort of mobility device (thanks to some bright spark, we have routes with accessible stops that aren't serviced by low floor trams - and routes with low floor trams that don't actually have accessible stops anywhere near where you need them) - but with a scooter you'd be able to largely avoid the trams - and there is a city shuttle that as far as I know is accessible.

I don't envy you the decision whether to push the issue of having a mobility device, or not.

Would it be one of those 'even if you win the argument, you lose' type of things? Sometimes those arguments are not worth winning.

Are you willing to go off on your own to enjoy the ports if he isn't able to go because of his decision not to have a device? If so, there's not as much point in pushing for a device.

How far would you be able to get with whichever device you have? If you still need other transportation, could the device be stored in it? No need to argue if you can't take the device ashore.

Would he be more likely to do it as a favor to you? Would he accept the argument 'better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it'?

Australia, and especially New Zealand, were marvelous destinations, and I am thrilled I had the opportunity to cruise there. Good luck.

I agree with Katisdale. Have you thought about doing a cruise to Australia and New Zealand at the start or end of the cruise season? Many of the larger nicer ships sail to Australia in September from the northern hemisphere. The ports are unique on these repositioning cruises with plenty of relaxation days. Some come to Australia via New Zealand. The ships then depart Australia & New Zealand around March/April.

I've recently travelled back from Europe with was over 24 hours flying time. At 41 this was difficult. Dad at 70 found it exhausting. If you choose to fly to Australia, look at ways that you can breakup the flight. Stop over in Hawaii?

I'm going to go on my second cruise to New Zealand next year from Australia. The north and south islands of New Zealand are very different. It's an amazingly beautiful country with such stark contrasts in scenery. The people are loverly. Make sure you choose a cruise that goes to Milford sound.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hiring a scooter in Australia maybe very expensive. It might workout cheaper to buy one in America that is approved by the airlines. Other option is to buy a folding walking frame with seat from a pharmacy in Australia. They are around about $100 AUD from a pharmacy called "My Chemist"

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks to everyone who has replied to my post. there is some good info. within the posts. I will touch on a few things mentioned.

First, I actually did try the "we can bring it and then if you happen to need it . . . ." idea with the cane that had a seat. Couldn't get him to go along with that. It is hard enough to get him to even use a regular cane, which he rarely does. However, when we went to Ireland last fall we did take along a regular which he did use a couple of times although very briefly Either I had it sticking out of my purse or it was up on a bus shelf in a backpack we sometimes had with us. Actually, he only very rarely uses a cane at all. (Sometimes when going on long walks at home he has been taking one along just lately.)

I hadn't actually thought about the buses or trams that often cannot handle scooters or wheelchairs. Guess I just thought they all had racks on them or storage under them for such things. Having to wait - sometimes quite long- would be a deal breaker I'm sure

As for the folding walking frame (I'm pretty sure you are talking about what is called a folding walker in the U.S.), those really don't work well for him because his disability greatly affects the percentage of use of one (the dominant) arm and hand and 2 hands are needed to use one.

One of the reasons I asked about the scooter and how people like using one is to a great extent because of the issues of using it, and then at times on the same excursion or "adventure", not needing it. I guess every trip and destination is different in that regard. Las Vegas and Disneyworld are places where it's relatively easy for a scooter user. Most places you can't just leave a scooter sitting there like you can a stroller or something.

A lot depends upon how hubby happens to be doing on any given day as to how well or long he can walk around. He always manages to get up and down on buses, though it helps if there is a vertical handle in the doorway to hang onto. There are places where you see a lot of scooters - like Las Vegas, Nevada, where a LOT of walking is required to see the sights & attractions, or Disneyworld (where it's relatively easy to use one for someone with a minimal ability to walk a short distance & park it at the entrance to rides, etc.).

From what I've read about the double and triple docking, I think my husband can handle that o.k. - especially after having talked to someone with the cruise line and a couple of other people I know. It must seem like on one hand I am saying he can do all these things but on the other that he can't and should use a scooter. Well, both of those assessments are somewhat accurate! That is what makes the situation/decision so difficult.

As for having a "discussion" with him about how using certain equipment would make it easier on myself or our kids, we did sort of point that out in getting him to use our son in law's driveable wheelchair when we attend a major sporting event. There is a lift that is put onto their vehicle to transport the wheelchair when the chair is needed by someone.

There's a fine line between making him feel like a burden and causing him to not want to participate and making a point gentle and convincing enough to persuade. However, it may come to that eventually.

As for am I willing to do excursions or go out on my own and leave him behind? Absolutely! My husband has always been fond of naps, and many times on trips (the vast majority of our's have been independent over the years) I just head out into a city or wherever on my own for a bit. Sometimes now it is more likely to cause him to feel down (and/or jelous) because it's something he isn't able to do .Guess I might feel the same in his shoes. (Currently assessing whether to go inside Neuschwanstein by myself when we are visiting that area prior to our river cruise or to skip it so he won't feel abandoned.)

Great suggestion about stopping over (in most cases). I have noticed the flights to AUS/NZ on which you can stop over in another location on the way (Fiji, Tahiti, Hawaii) en route for free. We have vacationed in Tahiti and Hawaii before. While it is enticing, it's not AS enticing because doing so takes extra effort - esp. on my dh's part - and more $ to add yet another accommodation and other travel costs to the trip. It seems more important than ever now to make certain there will be time for my husband to rest up when we first arrive at a destination.

I don't think a cruise of the length required to sail between the U.S. mainland and Australia or NZ is whithin our budget. Not sure if we're good candidates for a cruise that long with several days in a row w/out a port stop. However, it IS an excellent idea for some.

Thanks again for the interesting aspects of using a scooter and information that points out a few things to consider that I hadn't thought about. Always great help on these forums!

I have never been to Aus/NZ but I know more than I would like about cruising/travelling with a mobility problem.

First of all, I think you probably know the Aus/NZ cruise isn't going to work with your husband, since he's already resisting the long flight and unwilling to use a mobility aid to make shore excursions doable. Ruth's comment about winning the battle but losing the war is spot-on. Maybe you would be better off cruising with a friend or family member who doesn't have mobility issues? Although there is a very real risk that will make him feel left out. I have wanted to visit that part of the world for decades but have reluctantly admitted it ain't gonna happen because there is no way I could tolerate the flight. You may well face the ugly choice of whether to take a cruise you will enjoy and leave your husband behind, or forfeit something you want to do to avoid hurting his feelings. If your husband does enjoy cruising, maybe you can plan another cruise from a port closer to you?

The scenario of a person with mobility problems being unwilling to admit they need a walker/wheelchair/scooter crops up here often, almost always a man. But it's not just a matter of pride, and it's not his intention to be inconsiderate of you (although he is); it's the loss of abilities that are part of his self-identity. I bet he has always been the one to set out the lawn furniture in the spring, bring in the groceries, carry a tired child back to the car (or maybe the picnic basket and chairs if you were carrying the child), ... you get the idea. If he has always been the strong one that others lean on for help when they are tired or weak, he probably sees needing help himself as failing in his self-defined role.

Having said that, if you do convince him to use a scooter, look into the folding models. Someone mentioned a Travelscoot, I have a Triaxe Sport, and there are at least a dozen other models on the market. The ones that require taking apart tend to be heavier and would require someone to stand for several minutes to assemble or disassemble them. Plus the "heaviest piece" when disassembled is likely to be heavier than either of you would be comfortable lifting in and out of a vehicle - on the models I looked at before I bought my scooter, this was usually in the 60-90 lb range. My Triaxe is 53 lb complete with battery and most of the folding models are in the 50-60 lb range. Plus, I can set it up and fold it myself even with my extremely short standing tolerance - great to feel independent! We rented a car in Juneau last week and I didn't have to try to find an accessible vehicle, my scooter fits in any trunk when folded.

We did Auckland to Sydney a few years ago with Celebrity. I'm a wheelchair user and here are my thoughts on the experience:

Auckland is a really nice, small city that's the financial hub of NZ and is really worth spending a few days before you cruise to see the place and the surrounding area. There's a lot to see at harbour level, good excursions available excellent eating. But it is VERY steep as you go away from the harbour and on some of the cross streets. So a scooter would be well advised. Having said that, the locals are really helpful - as an example, on one very steep back street I was struggling in the chair at the bottom and my wife struggled to help, one of the locals who was coming down the street gave my wife his coffee and sandwich and pushed me all the way to the top of the hill.

Another Auckland comment - I found a guy with an accessible taxi who had a good price from the airport but then tried to charge me less than he'd quoted because he'd enjoyed the chat! On embarkation day we he was due to take us to the terminal but check in wasn't open until 2pm so we dropped the cases and he ran us around the area for two hours sightseeing. For free! I can't promise you'll get the same treatment but I'm more than happy to pass on his contact details.

I found the New Zealand ports generally very accessible. Even in Akaroa, which is a tender port, we were able to store my chair on the boat that took us around the fjord to dolphin watch (I'd recommend that one). Some of the ports are a bit hilly but nothing that a scooter couldn't handle. I wouldn't have managed some of them on crutches, which I can use for short, flat surfaces. I got off at every port bar one, and that was only because we hadn't booked a tour and it was raining heavily.

It's worth the journey for a a look at the NZ fjords. They aren't as good and impressive as Norway (nowhere is), but still a good sight.

There are now several cruise moorings in Sydney and I can only comment on Circular Quay, which is the main one, where the local ferries run from and is the opposite side to Darling Harbour. The port is very accessible, although Sydney slopes up away from the quayside both into the main part of town and to The Rocks. It's another reason to take a scooter. You can get all the way around to the Opera House on the flat but the Botanical Gardens need a climb as does most other things.

You can also get all the way round to Darling Harbour on the flat by going under the Harbour Bridge. Once there, there are museums, an aquarium and countless restaurants.

Sydney is free on the buses for anyone in a chair (not sure about scooters). There is also a dial-a-ride service which will get you an accessible taxi, which I found very useful at disembarkation time when everyone else was fighting in a big heap to get normal taxis. Note that public handicapped toilets are often key access and unlike in the UK, access keys are complicated to get, I gave up trying. But there are good toilets all over the place in stores, restaurants and hotels.

If there's anything specific you want to know (that I can remember), shout up. But please go, it's very worth it.

• 4 weeks later...
We did Auckland to Sydney a few years ago with Celebrity. I'm a wheelchair user and here are my thoughts on the experience:

Auckland is a really nice, small city that's the financial hub of NZ and is really worth spending a few days before you cruise to see the place and the surrounding area. There's a lot to see at harbour level, good excursions available excellent eating. But it is VERY steep as you go away from the harbour and on some of the cross streets. So a scooter would be well advised. Having said that, the locals are really helpful - as an example, on one very steep back street I was struggling in the chair at the bottom and my wife struggled to help, one of the locals who was coming down the street gave my wife his coffee and sandwich and pushed me all the way to the top of the hill.

Another Auckland comment - I found a guy with an accessible taxi who had a good price from the airport but then tried to charge me less than he'd quoted because he'd enjoyed the chat! On embarkation day we he was due to take us to the terminal but check in wasn't open until 2pm so we dropped the cases and he ran us around the area for two hours sightseeing. For free! I can't promise you'll get the same treatment but I'm more than happy to pass on his contact details.

I found the New Zealand ports generally very accessible. Even in Akaroa, which is a tender port, we were able to store my chair on the boat that took us around the fjord to dolphin watch (I'd recommend that one). Some of the ports are a bit hilly but nothing that a scooter couldn't handle. I wouldn't have managed some of them on crutches, which I can use for short, flat surfaces. I got off at every port bar one, and that was only because we hadn't booked a tour and it was raining heavily.

It's worth the journey for a a look at the NZ fjords. They aren't as good and impressive as Norway (nowhere is), but still a good sight.

There are now several cruise moorings in Sydney and I can only comment on Circular Quay, which is the main one, where the local ferries run from and is the opposite side to Darling Harbour. The port is very accessible, although Sydney slopes up away from the quayside both into the main part of town and to The Rocks. It's another reason to take a scooter. You can get all the way around to the Opera House on the flat but the Botanical Gardens need a climb as does most other things.

You can also get all the way round to Darling Harbour on the flat by going under the Harbour Bridge. Once there, there are museums, an aquarium and countless restaurants.

Sydney is free on the buses for anyone in a chair (not sure about scooters). There is also a dial-a-ride service which will get you an accessible taxi, which I found very useful at disembarkation time when everyone else was fighting in a big heap to get normal taxis. Note that public handicapped toilets are often key access and unlike in the UK, access keys are complicated to get, I gave up trying. But there are good toilets all over the place in stores, restaurants and hotels.

If there's anything specific you want to know (that I can remember), shout up. But please go, it's very worth it.

Hi Chunky2219,

I found your post very helpful,

I am travelling from Aus to NZ in feb 2019 with my teenage son with a power wheelchair, on the new majestic princess. I find I have to research ports really well, as travelling with a motorised chair means most cruise excursions aren't suitable, and we organise our own. I would love to get the details of your wonderful taxi driver with the accessible taxi that you had in Auckland.

many thanks maree

Hi Chunky2219,

I found your post very helpful,

I am travelling from Aus to NZ in feb 2019 with my teenage son with a power wheelchair, on the new majestic princess. I find I have to research ports really well, as travelling with a motorised chair means most cruise excursions aren't suitable, and we organise our own. I would love to get the details of your wonderful taxi driver with the accessible taxi that you had in Auckland.

many thanks maree

Gladly, and sorry for the delayed reply.

If you e-mail me at junkmailchunky(at)hotmail.com I'll forward his details to you.

• 3 months later...

Final payment time is only a month or so away and we STILL don't know if we are going to stick with the cruise to NZ and Australia! Thinking maybe a RT CA to HI might be easier for DH. (We've done land trips to Oahu, Maui & Kauai in the past so would likely just rent a car and revisit places we liked before. Plus no super long flights.) Can't get much feedback from my husband with regard to which one we should do. I can get a RT business class ticket - just one - w/my FF miles and let him have it. I'd have to purchase my own ticket so it'd be coach for me. On one hand, the excursion look so pricey in NZ, but on the other, there are 5 days at sea each way between CA and HI and I'm not sure we could avoid getting a little sick of sea days on that cruise.

At any rate, just wanted to mention something that was touched on way earlier on this thread. There was some slight discussion of whether or not my DH would be able to handle river cruising. Mainly due to the double/triple docking and crossing from one ship to the next. Doing so was a piece of cake. DH had no issues at all with that part of the trip. The only part that sometimes got difficult was on the guided walking tours. While there were both "slow" and "fast" groups a couple of times, in at least one case the fast group ended up being much slower than the so-called "gentle walker"group! There was also a guide or two who, despite saying she would stop a minute here or there to allow people to sit down or rest for a minute who failed to do this. A couple of people complained and once I even had to whistle VERY LOUD so she would turn around and be aware of about 8 people who had not been able to catch up with her. Especially since she and a few fast walkers had crossed a busy street and kept going while everyone else was going to be stopped the crossing light! So she got the message. The ship worked for my husband more easily than it would have for someone who needed a wheelchair or scooter for sure. It did have an elevator. Since river ships are so much smaller than your average sized cruise liner, I think that type of cruise suits people with moderate disabilities well (like people who use canes or walkers to get around, but could be more difficult or next to impossible for those needing some types of motorized transport assistance to get around most of the time.

Actually I have recently used a scooter for the first time, on a day at Yorkshire sculpture park, they have ones you can book and use for free. It was extremely liberating and I got to see many works I couldn’t have managed to get to on foot walking with a stick. A couple of points : one I would suggest hiring one for a day and see how he gets on, and two I also have weakness in my right side, and I found using the scooter button to make it go quite hard after a while, arthritis in my right hand. I don’t know if there are left handed or adapted scooters, I guess there must be, but I would certainly look into this before going ahead. Sydney, where I come from, is very accessible if the ship docks at overseas passenger terminal at circular quay. But I would get current info on the Australian cruise critic forum as George street has been having extensive works near to the quay. Wellington is easy to get around once you have got out of the port, New Zealander’s are very friendly. Christchurch is still very difficult due to the works from the earthquake. Auckland is also easy. I don’t know if any of the public transport allows scooters, they are uncommon, this would be another good question to ask on the Australian forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for all the additional info! We are doing a last min., quick getaway cruise for 5 days soon. I mentioned to my husband that it might be a good time to try a scooter out. Naturally he said he won't need it. :rolleyes:

The scooter issue is one he needs to decide on his own. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.

Having dealt with a mobility issue for the past two years - severe leg pain on one side upon extension and flexion and pain when sitting unless I could extend that leg out when needed - we did not alter our travel schedule one bit. We determined that we would adapt to the cruises and the ports - not the other way around. On a few excursions, I sat things out when it was painful to walk or stand. We did some independent tours by taxi in some ports and found the town square and a coffee shop or pub and met some delightful locals - experiences we would not have had on a hurry-up ship's excursion. A couple of ports, we let the herd get off and we enjoyed a leisurely day on the ship without the chair and table hogs.

Stay silent and let him figure it out. If the roles were reversed that's probably what you'd wish he would do.

Surprisingly, I think DH might agree to renting a scooter!

his evening he mentioned that he had not been walking very well right after we had attended a movie. (He had to walk a good bit to get into the theater and then to the right movie) He had also walked for perhaps a half mile to a mile today and didn't feel he'd overdone it, though more and more it seems when he does that he tires more easily. I saw it as an opportunity to ask if he was certain he didn't want to rent a scooter on our upcoming short cruise. Just to get around the ship so as to not wear himself out. He said it might be a good idea! (BTW, I suggested renting one just to try it out a few weeks ago. He said he didn't need to. I think just because he used one of those large ones in a large superstore once or twice after he had a knee replacement a few years back.) I now plan to call the cruise line as I was told there are companies that provide many of the scooters their passengers rent.

SargassoPirate, I agree w/you re: the freedom you get when you are on your own and not with a tour group Even before mobility was an issue, we rarely did ship excursions, but on a rare occasion we have. Instead we either arranged something independently or just took ourselves around. Many times we have rented cars as well. I've found that to work pretty well for us. I'm not sure my dh will try taking the scooter off the ship, but perhaps he will. Just using a cane would help a lot and he will likely be willing to do that this time around.

Thanks to everyone for sharing their experience and advice and tips.

Surprisingly, I think DH might agree to renting a scooter!

Congratulations! He will not be in great pain at the end of the cruise, and will be a lot happier during it. The freedom a scooter gives is priceless.

Let's just hope he doesn't go back on his decision.

Actually, DH's problem isn't with pain. It's more to do with the leg becoming very weak and the brain signals not getting through well. This affects his balance and slows him down even more. Being tired exacerbates it, and he can wear out very easily. Some days he does very well. Other days, not too well.

Thanks for the encouragement and I hope you are right and the scooter will allow him to enjoy the cruise more, leave him less tired and get him from A to B more quickly. He's never been a patient man and doesn't like anything to complicate things or get in his way. If he has issues finding a place to "park" the scooter, or getting through crowded areas or having to wait longer for elevators, etc., too much, he will cast it aside for sure. Hopefully he'll find it easy to deal with.

Thanks again! :)

One thing that concerns me with the OP's plan to rent a scooter for her husband on a cruise from NZ to Australia.

That is, have you investigated whether there is any company in NZ that is willing to hire out a scooter under those conditions?

Picking up the scooter in NZ and leaving it in Australia may not be permissible.

How would the company get the scooter back?

Hiring out mobility equipment to cruisers is not the big business in NZ that it is in the US.

Hi Folks

I live in Melbourne Australia and due to arthritis issues have just bought myself a small electric scooter.

After using a wheelie walker for some time I found that by the time I had gotten from the car park to the shops I was feeling quite stiff and sore and could not enjoy the outing

so I bought the small invacare collibri scooter from e-bay and so far have not looked back.

See http://www.invacare.com.au/products/mobility-scooters/scooters/colibri

I have been on trains and trams here in Melbourne without any hassles ,Trams you must look for the newer flat floor trams and the trains go to the carriage near the driver who will put a ramp for you to board and exit the train (you get to talk to all the nice train drivers)

I'll be on board Golden Princess at Christmas time for a 14 night trip to New Zealand and in March on board Carnival Legend for a ten day trip to New Caledonia I shall use the scooter extensively to get to places that would be "Too Hard" without it

So my advice would be to give it a try your husband might be pleasantly supprised at how easy it makes things for him

Regards

John

celle, good point. I actually got the idea when reading a post on either this site or perhaps tripadvisor where someone talked about having rented one when on a cruise in that part of the world. To be honest, I didn't go to any lengths to see if it would be something that would work when not doing a RT. However, when I first posted this thead, NZ-AUS was the likely cruise. I think the more we thought about how long the flight would be, this cruise became less likely, but the final decision hasn't been made as to whether we'll do this one or another. In fact, I want to see how our upcoming 5 nt. cruise goes first.

VD3DQ, sounds like you made a wise move. My dh barely ever uses a cane and cannot use a walker because his right arm/hand don't work well enough to hold the walker and move it forward w/any help from the R arm. I've seen several posts in which people have advised purchasing a scooter.

For the record, today I called 2 scooter providers, got prices, etc. As soon as I brought it up to my husband, he said he just didn't think he'd need one.(I pretty much figured he'd do that, even though 2 days ago, when he was feeling wiped out, it was a different story!) :rolleyes: He says he doesn't want the hassle of trying to get through crowded areas of the ship or blocked hallways (like steward carts). He said he bet most of the people that rented them end up wishing they hadn't. (I sure set him straight on that one!) He also thinks it would take up all the room in our cabin (true!). To his way of thinking, Las Vegas is the only place he thinks he'd really maybe get one. So like someone on this thread already mentioned, you can bring a horse to water but you can't make them drink.

I tried!

• 2 months later...

UPDATE!

FIrst, I cancelled the NZ-AUS cruise because of the length of the flights and my dh's comfort. However, on that note, I have enough FF miles for just ONE 1st class seat. Just the other day my dh mentioned that he'd like to see that area of the world IF he could have a 1st class seat. :rolleyes: Of course, we'll have to pay for my coach seat (and probably have horrible flight times and connections as that is what is often offered with the mile points). So that idea is just a possibility for another time right now.

However, we flew to Las Vegas in route to visit our son's family in the far northern communities of Phoenix. (MUCH cheaper ticket. So we spent a half day and a night in Vegas. Our hotel rented out scooters on the premises so I arranged for him to use one. Happily, it worked out great! (We drove RT to Phoenix. We'd done in previously when we simply wanted time in Las Vegas and the car rental was lots less than the tix to Phoenix would have been. Plus we enjoy the scenery on the way.

In place of the NZ cruise we are doing a 7 night cruise on Harmony of the Seas soon, and will do some other trip later this spring or early summer. Though I was adamant about getting him the scooter on Harmony, using one in Las Vegas meant no more indecision on his part. I went to some amount of trouble making certain our cabin on the Harmony will have one of 2 styles of furniture arrangement - with the beds by the balcony due to more open space nearer to the cabin door. Had the cabin had the beds nearer to the cabin door, I don't think the scooter would have fit past the foot of the beds to the area towards the balcony has more open space.

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to post that my husband used a scooter on harmony of the seas and it worked out very well. No problems at all getting through the hallways even if there was a card in the hall which was very rare. I don’t think I will have a problem getting him to use one some other time. If anyone out there is having difficulty trying to talk a loved one into using one, take it from me if you can just get them to try it it’s very likely going to be something they find useful and helpful. Although there were times we had to rate for the next elevator during crowded. Times in general it wasn’t a problem. The ship was very full and had more children in February then I would have anticipated but that really wasn’t a problem. Most people were courteous but some people seem to walk along oblivious to anyone and everything around them or the fact that they are walking into someone else or stepping right in front of someone on a scooter. (Sometimes I wish my husband would have run into a few of them to teach them a lesson!) And they’re always we are occasions when someone will but in front of yo were courteous but some people seem to walk along oblivious to the fact that they are walking into someone else or step right in front of someone on a scooter. Sometimes I wish my husband would have run into a few of them to teach them a lesson! And they’re always we are occasions when someone will butt in front of anyone- whether it is a disabled person or not. At times I could sense someone who was quite aggressive near us I became more aggressive myself and would step in front of the elevator hold the door until my husband to come on in. Fortunately didn’t happened happen all the time but I was happy that I was there to run interference for his first cruise with a scooter.

We rented his scooter from special-needs at sea and the whole experience was seamless. I highly recommend them.

Thanks to those of you on these boards who offered advice and help.