Viking China

2tsquared

I've read that Viking now has 2 new western-oriented ships (the Century Sky and Sun) for China cruises. Has anyone had the opportunity to sail on one of these ships and what did you think?

Also, what time of year do you feel is best for one of these river cruises? I understand summer months (June, July, August) can be very hot and humid. As we live in Arizona, we get all the heat we need at home! I believe spring and fall might be the best - but notice that there are also winter sailings as well.

Any insight and suggestions would be most appreciated.

We have just started to consider a trip to China and including a Yangtze River cruise and I was looking on the message boards for info and found your inquiry. We have information on a dfour day trip from Yichang to Chongqing (excuse spelling) as part of a 16 day tour of the country that goes from Beijing to Shanghai and then south and ending up in Hong Kong for a couple of days. As we are in Melbourne, Australia, we got our info from a local tour company called Avalon Waterways and today the brochures arrived in the mail after I ordered them on the web. It looks very promising and the boat(ship?) all seems to have outside cabins with samall balcony and and self-contained. The name is MS Victoria Katerina. We are cehcking with our travel agent about flights up and back to China etc as they are not part of the tour cost. Our travel agent says the company is part of the Globus group which is very well known. If you want to see what trhey say about it you can go to www.avalonwaterways.com.au

Good luck.

Bruce, thank you for the information. I will check it out. When are you planning on going? Has your travel agent offered any advice as to the best time of year to go?

tt

Hi TT:

Things have advanced a bit now and we are booked on a tour that starts in Beijing on May 2 with Avalon. We were told it is best (and cheaper) to go for the early and cooler tours either in April, May or early June. Late September and October are also good because it can get very hot, humid and uncomfortable in the height of the northern summer. We are used to heat in Australia in our summer with many days 100 plus as I am sure you are in Arizona but the humidity is something different.

We are flying direct to Beijing and taking two days before the tour to acclimatise and have a look round but most of the major attractions are covered by the main tour. There are also a couple of days and tours at Hong Kong at the end and we also will stop over in Kuala Lumpur on the way back to Melbourne.

Cheers

Aussie Bruce

Bruce, thank you for the information. I will check it out. When are you planning on going? Has your travel agent offered any advice as to the best time of year to go?

tt

Hi - I've just got back from China [shanghai] and October is apparently the best month to visit. The weather was great when I was there. We were looking into the Viking Century Sky but it seems very £££/$$$ so thanks to Aussie Bruce for the suggestions of the other ship - we'll check her out!

I have been researching Viking's China cruisetours. Last summer I was on a Viking cruise in Europe and had the opportunity to talk to several people who had been on Viking's China Cruisetour. They ALL had fantastic things to say about Viking's service, the wonderful guides, the organization which worked like clockwork. They especially liked not having to see or move their luggage as they flew between China's cities. Viking took their luggage from their cabin and they didn't see it again til they arrived at their hotel room! (That's great with all the good shopping there)

All of the people told us not to wait to see the Yangtze as the dam is already flooding the villages along the river.

I was so impressed with all the comments that I arranged a group on Viking's Cultural Delights Cruisetour departing July 31, 2006 for 16 days. There is an 8% discount because it's a group and Viking is also having an early booking discount of $250 per person if paid in full by Dec. 1, 2005.

If you would like to join our group and take advantage of our group discount, we'd love to have you. Call me.(Elaine) at 860 663-0470

Happy Travels!

Hi! We returned from a China cruise in late September aboard the Viking Sky and would be happy to answer any questions re the ship, tour, etc. It was still very warm in Shanghai and Beijing mid September so I feel sorry for those that sailed June/July/August! They must have suffered! Overall the cruise/tour was spectacular! The ship was the highlight of the trip & all of the hotels were 5-star as well. The Cruise Critic review of the ship was accurate. Anyone have any questions? Cheers! Ocala:)

Hi Murphey

The Sky had mostly NZ & Aussie wines (You'll have Chinese wine at the farewell dinner - good luck!). My wife's the wine drinker and she drank it by the glass on board ship ($10 a glass). An entire bottle will really cost you! I would check directly with Viking re gifts but if you wanted to be delivered on board the ship, it might be difficult. They were having some problems getting some food/drink provision deliveries anyway. Hope you have as good a time as we did! Cheers:)

• 2 weeks later...

$10 for a glass of wine??????????????? Are you kidding me??????

Just read the new CC review of the Sky.....sounds great, we can't wait. Did you try any of the Spa treatments? They sound quite reasonable. We're hoping late September will be good for the weather.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My husband and I have just booked Viking's Cultural Delights tour for August 25. While I'd have liked to later in September, we needed to be back by 9/20 and our travel agent--and the world weather sites--said that October is the rainy season and can be quite cool. So we'll take our chances weather wise. (I live in San Diego so am not good with humidity--but so be it! We will manage.)

We have friends who took a shorter Viking cruise in 2005 and raved about it. And a local university-sponsored tour in May is using Viking for the river portion of its tour; the brochure comments that Viking is the best operator.

I took a Viking trip from Moscow to St. Petersburg in 2004 and was very pleased. The quality of the tours in China is suposed to be better than Victoria's, according to a ship review posted elsewhere on this site.

Hope this helps.

Would love to get practical tips from anyone who's been on a Viking Chiina Cruisetour.

Thanks!

I've read that Viking now has 2 new western-oriented ships (the Century Sky and Sun) for China cruises. Has anyone had the opportunity to sail on one of these ships and what did you think?

Also, what time of year do you feel is best for one of these river cruises? I understand summer months (June, July, August) can be very hot and humid. As we live in Arizona, we get all the heat we need at home! I believe spring and fall might be the best - but notice that there are also winter sailings as well.

Any insight and suggestions would be most appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...
I am seriously thinking about this trip on the 25th, but am wondering about the pricing I am finding it all over the board? Any opinions?

We booked really early with an offer from Viking. I'd check their site first and see what they are offering and take it from there. Let me know if you decide to go.

golminiak@att.net

Cynthia

LunaSeaRetreat: According to Viking's website, the Century Sun should be in service by this month. Have you heard differently?:confused:

MBellamy: We are from San Diego, too! We have booked the China's Cultural Delights on September 30, along with another San Diego couple we met on Celebrity Summit last May. We sailed on Viking Neptune a few years ago in Europe and loved the river cruising experience. We are so looking forward to this trip!

Last week, Discovery Channel had several specials on China, one of which was a two-hour special on the Three Gorges Dam Project. The other was about the preparations in Beijing for the Olympics. Watch your TV guide, as sometimes Discovery Channel repeats and these shows were well worth watching.:D

Anyone else out there going on September 30?

Cynthia, if you don't mind me asking what Cat did you book? The least expensive is sold out, I have the next one up on hold, they have an airline special from LAX right now...but you have to pay in full. I hate to feel rushed since I just starting seriously looking into this trip on Sat.....according to the travel agents these do book fast....did you do much research before making your decision. L:) ri

Hi Cynthia,

Booked the 25th cruise today. Didn't someone else mention on this thread that they were going as well? Let me look, yes it looks like Mbellamy....I quess we should start a rollcall....With a ship that only has 306 passengers we are moving right along.:) L:) ri

I'm on the Aug 7th Cultural Delights trip with 2 of my daughters (16 and 22). I suspect that it will be hot at that time of year, but that is the time that works for us. Really looking forward to it. Anyone else on this trip?

We sailed on the Viking Sky in mid-September and it was still hot (high 80's) in Shanghai and Beijing - regardless of where you are from, I would avoid Summer. The Sky was the best part of the trip. The crew couldn't do enough for you, the rooms were very, very nice. Food preparation and service were 5 star! Wine was $10 a glass however but beer on tap (Budweiser quality) and refreshing at a more reasonable price. Any other questions? Cheers from Ocala

Hi Cynthia,

Booked the 25th cruise today. Didn't someone else mention on this thread that they were going as well? Let me look, yes it looks like Mbellamy....I quess we should start a rollcall....With a ship that only has 306 passengers we are moving right along.:) L:) ri

That's great! :D A rollcall sounds like a good idea but I don't see our ship listed. We booked the Cat F; we booked very early so we could lock it in and take advantage of the early booking discounts on airfare and cabin. Looks like it's a good thing we did. Since I live in Delaware and lived in New Jersey most of my life the "mostly hot and humid" doesn't scare me too much. I haven't seen anything from Mbellamy since it was first posted.

LunaSeaRetreat: According to Viking's website, the Century Sun should be in service by this month. Have you heard differently?:confused:

MBellamy: We are from San Diego, too! We have booked the China's Cultural Delights on September 30, along with another San Diego couple we met on Celebrity Summit last May. We sailed on Viking Neptune a few years ago in Europe and loved the river cruising experience. We are so looking forward to this trip!

Last week, Discovery Channel had several specials on China, one of which was a two-hour special on the Three Gorges Dam Project. The other was about the preparations in Beijing for the Olympics. Watch your TV guide, as sometimes Discovery Channel repeats and these shows were well worth watching.:D

Anyone else out there going on September 30?

No, I haven't heard anything. I guess we'll know by March. I'll let you know about our trip when we get back. I caught the end of the Dam Project special. It's a good thing we are going this year.

Well, Cynthnia we ended up being CAT D, by the time we booked there was a mess up on our hold with the TA...so now we are on a waitlist for a downgrade...have you ever heard of that before:rolleyes: ? It would be nice to have that extra 600. for tips and I figure we will be veiwing so much from up top it doesn't matter where we are on the boat or should we call it a ship?

Good for you for getting the early booking discounts...planning ahead about 8 months is the best I can do. So have you been looking at this trip awhile since you booked so early?

I am going to start a rollcall under other cruises rollcall. look for it there...

Looking forward to meeting you......L:) ri

Hi Land Lover ... I can't remember the cat number but we were on the top deck (room 504, I believe) - on the same deck as the lounge (and bar). The larger suite was next door but our room was fine, view from the balcony super! Just remember to close those curtains at night since in the morning you might just find another river cruiser parked next to your balcony, just feet away! In mid September I didn't find the heat too bad (I live in Florida). Hope you have as good a trip as we did. It was just unbelievable! Cheers! //Ocala//

Archived