NCL: Top Heavy With Officers and Fixation with Officers??

Cruisin_Husker

Oh, the NCL officer are visible. Though I do not think that is the same as “top heavy.

For example, when I finish my plate at the buffet on any cruiseline, I am not surprised when somebody comes and offers to clear the plate. That’s nice for me as a diner and better for their work flow, too. On most cruiselines, the person clearing my plate is a staff member or at very most a one stripe officer (rare). On NCL, the person offering to take my plate has included the food&beverage manager and even the hotel director...Almost unnerving to me, but three to four stripe officers will pitch in along side staff on some ships, even with dirty dishes. Different culture, I think. Those other lines have the same officers, they just are manage differently.

I’ve seen the same thing. Top officers not afraid to get their hands dirty to get the job done.

I personally like it, not only as a guest, but in my own job. I have great respect for those managers who pitch in and are part of the solution and none for those who feel it is beneath them. No job is too small, or position so great....

No job is too small, or position so great....

That’s pretty much what that Hotel Director said as he took my plate and I stuttered that he need not do so. The buffet wasn’t even all that busy, as I recall. That was his leadership style and it showed throughout his ships every sailing.

As the wife of a chief engineer I never got the interest in the officers. They are just regular people who happened to go to school to run a ship. Trust me, they put their pants on one leg at a time just like everyone else. And leave them on the floor to be picked up. :)

A man in uniform for a woman is like a woman in lingerie for a man. :D Or maybe it's just me? ;p

But seriously, they do have jobs which the average person doesn't encounter too often and that makes them interesting.

• Like 1

You should remember officers are also managers, and being visible is just MBWA (management by walking around.)

I appreciate the fact they are visible, and the cruises with visible officers seem to provide better service.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I just always feel safer on NCL. They look so professional.;)

I appreciate the visibility of the NCL officers. How else can they actually know what is going on in their departments and all around the ship. It is not unusual to see one take note of a problem and address it or pitch in when help is needed. That is good business management .