Favorite Excursions: Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan?

JenniferHT

I'm planning our first (and possibly only) cruise to Alaska for our family (DH, me & my 11 yo & 8 yo daughters). I have finally selected a cruise thanks to all my research here and am now moving on to the excursion planning. The stops will be Juneau, Skagway and Ketchikan.

If you were only going once, what would your *must do* excursion be for each of the three stops? I am a little nervous about planes/helicopters, but I'm open to considering anything! I know we would love to see bears and sled dogs while we are there.

Skagway...sled dogs with no helicopter ride. Here are a few photos from my trip there this year.

I agree. My family liked it so much that it became a must do for if we ever go back.

In Ketchikan my family split up. I went snorkeling (it’s the only Alaska port I found that on) and they went on the Bering Sea Crab Fisherman trip. I think they picked better than I did. I loved snorkeling but they saw sooo many eagles. Either trip is only in Ketchikan.

In Juneau I went whale watching and they stayed on the ship. I picked better than they did. The whales were awesome (not quite as good as Icy Straight Point, but it had been my best whale watching in my life until that point). I saw bubble net feeding, whales, a ton of whale tale pictures, etc. I went on a 6 passenger Harv and Marvs boat.

I hate small planes too. I wish I could have seen bears, but they’re not really the right ports for that.

You could also hike a lot if that’s your thing. Wildlife is my thing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. My family liked it so much that it became a must do for if we ever go back.

In Ketchikan my family split up. I went snorkeling (it’s the only Alaska port I found that on) and they went on the Bering Sea Crab Fisherman trip. I think they picked better than I did. I loved snorkeling but they saw sooo many eagles.

Bering Sea Crab Fisherman one is a good one. And yes, eagles and eagles and more eagles!

We did whale watching in ISP but since you are not stopping there I would look to do that in Juneau. In Ketchikan there were so many interesting things to do it was hard to narrow it down. We finally chose two, a kayaking trip at Orca's cove in the morning and a floatplane over Misty Fjords in the afternoon. Both were great. In Skagway we did the Dyea Dave tour to Emerald Lake; we opted to do the train back for a different perspective coming down, not sure it was worth doubling the price to do it that way.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Here is what we enjoyed, but some may be too long / boring for an 8 & 11 yo:

Juneau - Tracy Arm Fjord Cruise with Adventure Bound

Skagway- Bus / Train combo to Emerald Lake with Chilkoot Tours

Ketchikan- Kayaking with Southeast Kayaks, then walked Creek Street, Married Man’s Trail, to see the Fish Ladder then did some shopping.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have only been once so it is hard to say if they are "must dos" . I just know that I thoroughly enjoyed hiking to Lower Dewey Lake in Skagway and a walk around the town. I enjoyed it so much that if I ever went again (very unlikely) I would set out very early to allow time to get to Upper Dewey Lake.

I loved the whale watch in Juneau - and after two days at sea looking at glaciers, I think the view of Mendenhall from the sea was enough glacier viewing for us in this port.

We did an orca cove sea kayak, I enjoyed that - and the tinned salmon they gave us for the snack at the end. We didn't see that much wildlife - a nosey seal was cute. We get enough jellyfish at home that we did not find that exciting. It still was a lovely trip.

Hi Jennifer,

We visited Skagway, Ketchikan, and Juneau for the 1st time last September as follow:

Skagway: day trip to the Yukon (Carcross and Emerald Lake) + visit old downtown Skagway.

Ketchikan: Totem Bight State Park + the Southeast Alaska Discovery Center + the historical downtown with Creek Street and Thomas Historic District.

Juneau: Excursion on the Mendenhall Glacier + visit to downtown.

The Mendenhall Glacier and the Yukon were my favorites discoveries, sceneries were just gorgeous!

I like the canoe option to reach the Mendenhall Glacier. It’s both sportive and pleasant to enjoy the environment. We were a small group (6 people + 1 guide) and the hike on the glacier is one of my best memory from this cruise.

If you’re interested I wrote some articles to describe my excursions.

For Mendenhall Glacier: http://daydreamunderthestars.com/2017/12/03/excursion-on-mendenhall-glacier-in-juneau/

For the Yukon: http://daydreamunderthestars.com/2017/11/20/the-yukon/

For Ketchikan:http://daydreamunderthestars.com/2017/11/11/ketchikan-the-salmon-capital-of-the-world/

Let me know if you have any questions

Enjoy your trip!

Marie

I'm planning our first (and possibly only) cruise to Alaska for our family (DH, me & my 11 yo & 8 yo daughters). I have finally selected a cruise thanks to all my research here and am now moving on to the excursion planning. The stops will be Juneau, Skagway and Ketchikan.

If you were only going once, what would your *must do* excursion be for each of the three stops? I am a little nervous about planes/helicopters, but I'm open to considering anything! I know we would love to see bears and sled dogs while we are there.

I can only tell you what we did in June 2018

Ketchikan- float plane over Misty Fjords on Island Wings with Michelle - it was great! Landing on a lake was the best! Lunch after at Annabelles. Walked around town.

Juneau- Island Wings-5 Glacier and Taku Lodge Salmon Bake- this was great start to finish. Stopped in at Red Dog saloon and walked around town

Skagway-Dyea Dave tour go Emerald Lake. This was one of my favorite tours. Great scenery, good people & insight. Also during our trip saw 3 bears and a lynx!! We opted for train back from Fraser, but not necessary. This was an all day tour, so just went back to ship. Excellent!

All tours were booked independently (not through ship),

I’m sure whatever you select, you will have an experience to remember!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Bering Sea Crab Fisherman one is a good one. And yes, eagles and eagles and more eagles!
Going next year and SO disappointed we didn't pick a cruise that sops here JUST for this excursion. I could do it every time we visit and not get board. When we docked it was directly across the pier from us so even easy to find. My favorite Alaskan excursion and we have even done helicopters!

BonVoyage

Dawna

Hi Jennifer,

We visited Skagway, Ketchikan, and Juneau for the 1st time last September as follow:

Skagway: day trip to the Yukon (Carcross and Emerald Lake) + visit old downtown Skagway.

Ketchikan: Totem Bight State Park + the Southeast Alaska Discovery Center + the historical downtown with Creek Street and Thomas Historic District.

Juneau: Excursion on the Mendenhall Glacier + visit to downtown.

The Mendenhall Glacier and the Yukon were my favorites discoveries, sceneries were just gorgeous!

I like the canoe option to reach the Mendenhall Glacier. It’s both sportive and pleasant to enjoy the environment. We were a small group (6 people + 1 guide) and the hike on the glacier is one of my best memory from this cruise.

If you’re interested I wrote some articles to describe my excursions.

For Mendenhall Glacier: http://daydreamunderthestars.com/2017/12/03/excursion-on-mendenhall-glacier-in-juneau/

For the Yukon: http://daydreamunderthestars.com/2017/11/20/the-yukon/

For Ketchikan:http://daydreamunderthestars.com/2017/11/11/ketchikan-the-salmon-capital-of-the-world/

Let me know if you have any questions

Enjoy your trip!

Marie

Thanks for sharing these!! Great articles and awesome pictures!!

In Ketchikan we did the Wildlife safari and beach bonfire. It was awesome. Saw lots of wildlife, including orcas very near the boat. The bonflire was fun - the kids loved spending time on the beach (granted, we had very nice weather), and they do a nature "hike" in the woods near the beach. Well worth it.