Credit card travel insurance changes

Along with my monthly statement today I received a notice from CBA advising that from 1 October 2018 the complementary travel insurance underwriter will change from Allianz to Zurich through covermore.

Many of us here have had major issues in regard to pre existing conditions and Allianz and consequently found our pre existings aren't covered.

I will be contacting CBA / Zurich asap to find out my own personal situation.

My last 2 trips I have had to take insurance through insure and go to have my pre existings covered.

It will be interesting to see if the other banks follow.

Hi,last year Westpac changed from QBE to Allianz no big drama.

On checking a pre existing it cost me $40

Cheers Carole

I didn’t think Allianz were providing coverage for pre existing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn’t think Allianz were providing coverage for pre existing

I had no problems,just answered some questions,treatment,drugs,etc and all good,that was for May this year

Cheers Carole

ANZ changed from QBE to Allianz a few months ago. I think it was April.

Important: Effective 1 October 2017, the insurer of your Westpac Credit Cards Complimentary Insurance will be changing from QBE Insurance (Australia) Limited (“QBE”) to Allianz (issued by Allianz Global Assistance and underwritten by Allianz Australia Insurance Limited). For more information, visit westpac.com.au/ccinsurance.

Along with my monthly statement today I received a notice from CBA advising that from 1 October 2018 the complementary travel insurance underwriter will change from Allianz to Zurich through covermore.

Many of us here have had major issues in regard to pre existing conditions and Allianz and consequently found our pre existings aren't covered.

I will be contacting CBA / Zurich asap to find out my own personal situation.

My last 2 trips I have had to take insurance through insure and go to have my pre existings covered.

It will be interesting to see if the other banks follow.

I hope they go back to providing cover after assessment for the pre-existing conditions that are not normally included. ANZ had gone to Allianz from QBE and do not.

Likewise, I hope they go back to providing cover after assessment for the pre-existing conditions that are not normally included.

They used to be under Zurich years ago

Westpac ANZ CBA are all currently underwritten by Allianz. I know as i had c cards with them all for the purpose of using their insurance and my pre existing conditions have been declined.

ANZ changed in April.

Depends on the pre existing conditions if minor yes they will cover but mine were covered by QBE not Allianz.

I cancelled westpac and plan to cancel ANZ once an upcoming trip is over. Fortunately that trip is covered with QBE as it was booked pre the change.

Edited by Tara Jane

1. Since we started to travel more, from our first cruise in 2011, we have mostly relied on the included travel insurance that comes with our CBA credit card. The cost of the card is included in an overall annual fee we pay the bank for our overall banking, which gives us other benefits.

2. We have not made a claim in that time covering 16 cruises plus some land travel.

3. We don't have any serious pre-existings & don't do any extreme sports or similar, so coverage was fine. The main reason we have insurance is for medical and evacuation considerations, not so much for missed ports, or delays, or even lost property etc

4. Changes to our banking, means we will no longer have access to this 'free' coverage & would have to pay an annual fee of at least $150. We also have noted that the change in underwriter seems to have changed the goal posts somewhat.

5. With all this in mind, we have taken out travel insurance for DW and I [58 & 61 respectively] thru our private medical insurance provider {Medibank], commencing from our next trip in Jan 2019 for 12 months, for approx. $10 per week, which covers us for our needs for all parts of the world except Nth America.

6. For DW's pre-existing, high blood pressure, I was asked over the phone about this and advised them it was controlled by medication & the medication has not changed in 2 years and all was good.

We plan to see how this works for our 2 main trips in 2019.

Westpac ANZ CBA are all currently underwritten by Allianz. I know as i had c cards with them all for the purpose of using their insurance and my pre existing conditions have been declined.

ANZ changed in April.

Depends on the pre existing conditions if minor yes they will cover but mine were covered by QBE not Allianz.

I cancelled westpac and plan to cancel ANZ once an upcoming trip is over. Fortunately that trip is covered with QBE as it was booked pre the change.

I don't think it matters which insurer was involved when you booked the trip. We have, for the first time, made a claim under the credit card insurance. Ours is with ANZ. We booked the trip last November. This land trip is in 2019. We booked a long way ahead because of the popularity of the trip.

The 'event' that caused us to cancel (and claim a reimbursement of our deposit) was on 15th April. ANZ had changed from QBE to Allianze earlier in the month, so it was Allianze that assessed our claim.

I don't think it matters which insurer was involved when you booked the trip. We have, for the first time, made a claim under the credit card insurance. Ours is with ANZ. We booked the trip last November. This land trip is in 2019. We booked a long way ahead because of the popularity of the trip.

The 'event' that caused us to cancel (and claim a reimbursement of our deposit) was on 15th April. ANZ had changed from QBE to Allianze earlier in the month, so it was Allianze that assessed our claim.

Did Allianz pay the claim?:hearteyes:

Did Allianz pay the claim?:hearteyes:

At the moment it is looking like they will not. It is complicated. In November 2017 we booked a land tour for mid 2019. We booked well ahead because the trip was popular. At that time we obviously could not book international airfares because they cannot be booked more than a year ahead. In mid April we decided that we couldn't go. The reason is a valid medical situation. Yesterday we were advised that we would not be covered (for refund of the deposit) because we did not have tickets to return to Australia. It doesn't matter that we could not book these when we booked the trip and if we had booked them a month ago when those dates where available, we would have been booking with a pre-existing medical condition. We are waiting for this matter to be reviewed but we are not optimistic.

ANZ changed in April.

Likewise.

At the moment it is looking like they will not. It is complicated. In November 2017 we booked a land tour for mid 2019. We booked well ahead because the trip was popular. At that time we obviously could not book international airfares because they cannot be booked more than a year ahead. In mid April we decided that we couldn't go. The reason is a valid medical situation. Yesterday we were advised that we would not be covered (for refund of the deposit) because we did not have tickets to return to Australia. It doesn't matter that we could not book these when we booked the trip and if we had booked them a month ago when those dates where available, we would have been booking with a pre-existing medical condition. We are waiting for this matter to be reviewed but we are not optimistic.

Bad news, good luck with it all anyway. :halo:

Update

I phoned CBA Zurich and Cover more today.

Despite all being pleasant and fill of apology not one were able to give me any info on the upcoming changes.

All said after 1 October they should have the info.

If i was planning a trip pre 1 October I am to apply through CBA Allianz policy.

So basically a lot of time wasted on phone with no info gained.😔

Yes they will honour no probs there. That's one of the reasons I booked a trip to usa/canada with my anz card and got pre existing cover before they changed last april ftom qbe to allianz. Leave in 2 weeks.

I was just trying to be pro active and find out if my pre existing conditions will be covered with the change cba are making from allianz to zurich/Covermore.

Wishful thinking I suspect.

The HSBC credit card I have used for 15 yqrs for insurance was with Mondao and hen with Zurich (and both paid out claims promptly The nit changed to Allianz and they say they will not cover pre existing even if minor:evilsmile::evilsmile:

Seems I am about to test out how good my QBE/Allianz travel insurance ANZ policy is.

Diagnosed with blood clot in leg today so my USA/Canada trip is off. Was due to fly next Sunday.

Not happy Jan, but it could have been much worse, happening on the plane or in USA.:loudcry::loudcry::loudcry:

Seems I am about to test out how good my QBE/Allianz travel insurance ANZ policy is.

Diagnosed with blood clot in leg today so my USA/Canada trip is off. Was due to fly next Sunday.

Not happy Jan, but it could have been much worse, happening on the plane or in USA.:loudcry::loudcry::loudcry:

Sorry to hear your news but as you said better here than on a plane Let us know the outcome with the insurance