collapsible cooler

nxtdoor

Our collapsible cooler measures 11x15x 11. I think I got that right. I've read it's supposed to be 12 x 12 or something like that? would this be ok. I only intend to use this for ice in the room. I'm going to have it folded up in my luggage.

I don't even know if it leaks and where do I get ice from anyway? do I really even need a cooler? I'm just thinking of a hotel room when I can just get ice down the hall.

I'm overthinking everything we leave on Thursday!

I love that bucket. does it leak? wonder where I could get one that's not online? we leave on wed. thanks
The bucket does not leak but condensation will form so we put a small towel under it when it's inside the cabin. We ordered ours on line.

We take our collapsible cooler and yes the steward will fill it with ice for you and they just keep a beach towel folded under it in case it leaks which it will a little bit and yes we take it folded up inside our luggage. It just keeps our sodas and bottled water cold for us.

This cooler looks great!!

Our friends also use this one from same manufacture on their cruises, a bit bigger but collapses perfectly into luggage and never had a problem.

http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_10104_089W017473950001P?vName=Fitness%20&%20Sports&cName=Camping&Hiking&sName=Coolers%20&%20Beverage%20Holders&psid=FROOGLE&sid=KDx20070926x00003a

It seems Walmart does not carry them anymore so you'll have to order them online.

Edited by gjsmth

• 8 years later...

My collapsible coolers typically leak around the zipper. If you keep them level and not fill to the top with ice you should be fine. At home I use ice packs to solve this problem. And I have YETI Hopper TWO for outdoor usage. One of the best things about this cooler bag is that it’s extremely durable. YETI is renowned for using top-quality components for their products, and the Hopper Two is no exception. The bag’s outer layer is made out of a high-density fabric that’s resistant to punctures and abrasion, and that’s also waterproof and resistant to bacterial or fungal growths. The middle layer is made out of closed-cell foam that insulates the bag’s main compartment. The inner layer is made out of an FDA-approved material. And probably as important as the foam and inner layer is the zipper. The zipper is similar to those used on hazmat suits and it creates an airtight closure.

I don't believe anyone is there with a measuring tape you check how big your cooler is. I brought a tommy bahama cooler bag that was a little longer, and the steward did a decent job of keeping the ice stocked. It also didn't leak. I only brought it because I was on a Fantasy class. I would much prefer the fridge. It gets cold in there, just have to give it time and circulation.

52 minutes ago, LostPuppy said:

No one "needs" a cooler on a cruise ship (other than perhaps for Meds). If one wants ice,  I'd suggest getting an ice bucket from a bar as it's FREE and doesn't require you to schlep it in your bags.

Everyone can benefit from a cooler full of ice in their cabin.   Lot's of ice, calls to RS for more ice are not needed, or schlepping ice from the Lido to your cabin!   The Cabin Steward will gladly fill your cooler twice a day if requested.:classic_smile:

The "ice buckets" you refer to are the ones they use for beer typically and last 30 minutes or less depending on cabin temp.  Almost as useful as the SS one already in your cabin.  

A "collapsible cooler" easily slips into one of the outer pockets of our luggage, so schlepping is not necessary.  It also helps a lot if you order from the fun shops either soda or alcohol prior to,  or during  the cruise.  

Try it !,  You might like it!  

• Like 1

On 6/20/2010 at 7:43 AM, nxtdoor said:

Our collapsible cooler measures 11x15x 11. I think I got that right. I've read it's supposed to be 12 x 12 or something like that? would this be ok. I only intend to use this for ice in the room. I'm going to have it folded up in my luggage.

I don't even know if it leaks and where do I get ice from anyway? do I really even need a cooler? I'm just thinking of a hotel room when I can just get ice down the hall.

I'm overthinking everything we leave on Thursday!

It's collapsible. The size doesn't matter as it will be flattened out and in another bag. You're fine with pretty much any size that way. 

4 hours ago, Joebucks said:

I don't believe anyone is there with a measuring tape you check how big your cooler is. I brought a tommy bahama cooler bag that was a little longer, and the steward did a decent job of keeping the ice stocked. It also didn't leak. I only brought it because I was on a Fantasy class. I would much prefer the fridge. It gets cold in there, just have to give it time and circulation.

Mobile is the only port we've encountered where they actually measure the cooler

Edited by saharaga

9 hours ago, RyanBrandon said:

My collapsible coolers typically leak around the zipper. If you keep them level and not fill to the top with ice you should be fine. At home I use ice packs to solve this problem. And I have YETI Hopper TWO for outdoor usage. One of the best things about this cooler bag is that it’s extremely durable. YETI is renowned for using top-quality components for their products, and the Hopper Two is no exception. The bag’s outer layer is made out of a high-density fabric that’s resistant to punctures and abrasion, and that’s also waterproof and resistant to bacterial or fungal growths. The middle layer is made out of closed-cell foam that insulates the bag’s main compartment. The inner layer is made out of an FDA-approved material. And probably as important as the foam and inner layer is the zipper. The zipper is similar to those used on hazmat suits and it creates an airtight closure.

•  

This sounds great but I looked it up and it weighs almost 6 pounds by itself so anyone getting it make sure you allow for the extra weight in your checked luggage!