Wonderful Copenhagen

Thank you thank you ! I looked back but didnt see anything about the Viking Ship Museum and the boat trips or where it is ? I dont think using the Copenhagen card and the train system would be a good idea with 3 young boys do you ? Would we need some type of transportation to get to the Viking Museum ? I think if we stay at one of the hotels you suggest we can get to the Canal boat trip and Tivoli by foot......

jan

It is this one, What i forgot to add before is that the bus stop for the 203 bus is called vikingeskibsmuseet.

But its very comfy trains on that route and remember that you will travel in opposide direction of the rush hour.

Roskilde station is 25-30 minutes away from Copenhagen by train and all trains besides to trains stop at Roskilde.

Its the XX:42 Regional train to Nykøbing F and/or ICE to Berlin or Hamburg and the XX:50 IC Lyn departure to Aarhus or Frederikshavn.

Else its Regional trains to Nykøbing F (XX:11 departure), Ringsted, Holbæk, Kalundborg and the Intercity trains to Sønderborg, Flensburg, Esbjerg, Struer and Aalborg.

From Roskilde its bus 203 to Veddelev that departs at XX:27 and XX:57.

http://www.moviatrafik.dk/Terminalkort/Roskilde.pdf

Danish Viking

Thank you so much for all your info. Our Royal Princess cruise will be returning to Oceankaj on May 23. What is the least expensive way to get from the pier to the airport? Bus? Metro train? Where do we board the bus/train (how close to the Oceankaj pier)?

If you recommend buying the City Pass, where is the nearest place to purchase that (walkable distance from Oceankaj?) Will we need DDK or may we use credit card?

With much gratitude!

The Citypass is only useful if you are traveling many times in a 24 hour period.

The bus stop is here.

https://www.google.dk/maps/place/Unicef+F%C3%A6rgehavn+Nord/@55.7149227,12.6167611,17z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x465252b9af094e71:0xe18e422bba7ed610

At the Bus you just buy a 3 zone singlew ticket that cost 36 kroner.

Normally bus 26 has accepted EURO and US Dollars notes (no coins) and you will get back in danish notes and coins but perhaps its best to obtain some danish currency.

Its not announced what facilities there will be at the cruise terminal but I´m guessing that it will be possible to both exchange currency and buy transportation tickets at some kind of infokiosk but I´m just guessing.

Anyways... :D

Take the bus that departs at XX:54 and XX:14 towards Ålholm Plads and get off at Østerport station.

There are 2 stops at Østerport

The first at Sløjfen doesn´t have any escalators or elevators.

The next stop at Folke Bernadottes Allé is closer to the main entrance.

You can see it here, the blue Haribo candy bus is actually route 26 :D

https://www.google.dk/maps/@55.692049,12.589149,3a,75y,267.7h,78.43t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sAAPmDpEIxs4viOWecTh-2Q!2e0!6m1!1e1

Here is a map over Østerport station, the trains for the airport departs from track 3 and 4.

http://www.moviatrafik.dk/Terminalkort/%C3%98sterport.pdf

The train runs every 10th minutes and the destinations are for the most part Københavns Lufthavn (CPH Airport) Göteborg, Kalmar, Kristianstad and Malmö.

The bus trip from the cruise terminal to Østerport (sløjfen) takes 12 minutes, its probably 13 minutes to the better stop at Folke Bernadottes Allé.

The train trip takes 23 minutes.

Danish Viking:

We are staying 3 nights after we disembark Royal on May 12th. First night at Marriott and other 2 nights at airport Hilton. We were planning to buy City Passes, but would like to know if you think we'd get enough use out of them. We would have to at least travel from Marriott to Hilton on first day, and will be going back and forth between airport and town at least twice each day on second and third days. Other than those trips, is Copenhagen more of a walking city or is public transport a better option? Thanks so much.

For transport options you can see the above post

A 24 hour transportation card costs 130 kroner so your car loan sounds like a good deal.

Regarding the driving licence you can use your own in 90 days before its required to have a danish one and it required to be with latin letters and in English or French.

https://www.politi.dk/da/borgerservice/korekort/udenlandsk_koerekort/Udenlandske+korekort+ombytning+og+turistkorekort.htm#SubHeader2

Th.e socalled tourist driving licence is only required if your licence doesn´t follow the before mentioned rules.

Thank you so much. I think the car rental is the way to go for us--plus we will have some flexibility to stop other places too.

Danish Viking:

We are staying 3 nights after we disembark Royal on May 12th. First night at Marriott and other 2 nights at airport Hilton. We were planning to buy City Passes, but would like to know if you think we'd get enough use out of them. We would have to at least travel from Marriott to Hilton on first day, and will be going back and forth between airport and town at least twice each day on second and third days. Other than those trips, is Copenhagen more of a walking city or is public transport a better option? Thanks so much.

Once you are in downtown Copenhagen its best seen on foot.

A single trip from the airport and Hilton cost 36 kroner

A 24 hour City Pass cost 80 kroner.

A 72 hour city pass cost 200 kroner.

So if you just use it to and from downtown it will only be 8 kroner (1,5 USD) to buy the 24 hour City Pass and you will have the added flexibility of just walk into a harbour bus (cheap alternative to canal tours) bus, metro or train without thinking about bying a ticket.

But remember that the city pass is only for transportation, the card with entrances to tourists sights and museums is the Copenhagen Card.

So if you just use it to and from downtown it will only be 8 kroner (1,5 USD) to buy the 24 hour City Pass and you will have the added flexibility of just walk into a harbour bus (cheap alternative to canal tours) bus, metro or train without thinking about bying a ticket.

But remember that the city pass is only for transportation, the card with entrances to tourists sights and museums is the Copenhagen Card.

Plan to use 24 hour City pass since it will be less than 24 hours we are in Copenhagen before boarding.

What is "a harbour bus (cheap alternative to canal tours)"?? We had planned a canal tour but this sounds interesting.

its a yellow ferry that sails from the southern docklands through downtown Copenhagen and Christianshavn and up to the northern harbour.

It does however not reach the canals around Christianshavn and around Christiansborg, Gammel Strand.

It only sails in the open harbour water.

The route numbers are 991 and 992 (depending on the direction) and the stops are Teglholmen, Bryggebroen, The Black Diamond library, Nyhavn, The Opera, Holmen, Nordre Toldbod (near the little mermaid) and finally Refshaleøen.

993 is only sailing between Nyhavn and The Opera when there is a concert or other event taking placere there.

Search the route numbers on movia.dk or search for havnebusserne I Købehavn on google, I don't know if it helps to search for Copenhagen harbour busses but you can try.

Edited by Danish viking

You may have answered this a number of time already so sorry for asking again. I've heard that most of the shops and restaurants with Copenhagen, and possibly throughout Denmark, charge a transaction fee if a credit card is used. Is this true and if so what is the rate?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks DV. We had planned to buy 72 hr City Passes for flexibility and ease, and your answer confirmed our decision.

You may have answered this a number of time already so sorry for asking again. I've heard that most of the shops and restaurants with Copenhagen, and possibly throughout Denmark, charge a transaction fee if a credit card is used. Is this true and if so what is the rate?

I am not sure but I think its around 1,5% but I will double check the next time I'm in a shop that does charge you because not all do.

But they have to sign it at the counter, at 7-Eleven there is a sticker just next to the machine.

Danish Viking, since you seem to be our personal travel agent, just tell me where to send your dkk :) I do have a couple of questions. I will only be there from 7am - 4pm when the Brilliance stops. I was going to do this city on my own, as it appears that can be done. With that said, what is the difference between the Canal tours and the Netto Boats?? Also, is it a bus ride/taxi from the pier to get into town, where then we can walk to sites? Would a trip to the brewery Carlsberg be feasible? I love trying the local beers and wine and food, possibly bringing some home. Besides the smorrebrod what other food must I try? THANK YOU!!!

As i recall the Netto Bådene has a taped voice where Stromma has a real guide onboard.

Netto Bådene isn´t covered if it should rain.

Its possible to walk to the Nyhavn area from Langelinie in 30 minutes time or else you take bus 26 towards Ålholm Plads and get of at Kongens Nytorv.

https://www.google.dk/maps/dir/Langeliniekaj,+2100+K%C3%B8benhavn/Nyhavn,+K%C3%B8benhavn/@55.6881011,12.575952,14z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x465252dd08649a7d:0x4e7b478417fecaf!2m2!1d12.60018!2d55.6967145!1m5!1m1!1s0x4652533d333847a7:0xafc1003221f627d1!2m2!1d12.5899411!2d55.6796963!3e2

Instead of going to Carlsberg then try Torvehallerne instead, its located next to Nørreport station just a short metro trip from Kongens Nytorv.

Here you can taste different kinds of food and most likely Carlsberg and Tuborg (beer of kings according to Homer Simpson)

Is there a bus from Oceankaj to the Little Mermaid? How long does it take to walk from the Little Mermaid to Tivoli Gardens? Are there taxis at Tivoli Gardens late evening for return journey or is there an alternative means of return? Thanks

You have to be more precise with the questions because there are different timetables on regular weekdays and weekends/public holidays.

First question

Yes and no, if its Monday to friday you can use bus 26 towards Ålholm Plads and get off at Østerport station, Sløjfen from where you take another bus 26 towards Langelinie.

Here you get of at Indiakaj and walk the rest of the way to The Little Mermaid.

If its a weekend or public holiday you will have to rely on the Ho/Ho busses as the Nordhavnen area isn´t served by public busses atm.

It will take you around 40 minutes to walk to Tivoli from The Little Mermaid or you can take bus 26 from the Indiakaj bus stop in 27 minutes.

https://www.google.dk/maps/dir/The+Little+Mermaid,+Langelinie,+2100+K%C3%B8benhavn+%C3%98/Tivoli+Gardens,+Vesterbrogade+3,+1630+K%C3%B8benhavn/@55.6836933,12.564453,14z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x464c90eb8d422103:0xdfa8900ca2351e3c!2m2!1d12.599258!2d55.692844!1m5!1m1!1s0x4652531280f6eaf3:0xd9b50b0db50b27b0!2m2!1d12.568147!2d55.673684!3e2

For the last part of the trip you will have to rely on a taxi because the last bus to Oceankaj departs at 18:25 from the central station/Tivoli bus stop.

For taxis just use the taxi rink at the central station.

If its a weekend or public holiday you will have to rely on the Ho/Ho busses as the Nordhavnen area isn´t served by public busses atm.

Hi Danish Viking,

As has been discussed many times here, there is no bus 26 serving the new Cruise Terminal (our ship Legend docks at C330 on 2 weekends during a B2B cruise). However, I heard that the HOHO bus (do not know which one) may stop at the new cruise terminal on the weekends.

Do you know anything about that? If so, which HOHO bus company and where would they pick up near the new cruise terminal.

If you don't know, what HOHO company would you recommend for a 24 hour pass? Do they also include a canal tour?

Thanks,

Bill