Rescue at Sea Celebrity Summit

need2bespoiled

At 1100 am Captain Kate made an all ship announcement that we were diverting course from our trip fromAntigua to Curaçao to respond to a Mayday call. At approximately 1200 the ship reached a sail boat flagged I believe from Dominica. A tender was launched and everyone onboard the sailboat was transferred to the tender and then to the Summitt at about 1230.

Picture abd Video to follow shortly.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

The captain just announced they were without food and water for 6 days. 6 lives were saved in far less than ideal conditions at sea.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So nice to know! Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The captain just announced they were without food and water for 6 days. 6 lives were saved in far less than ideal conditions at sea.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Hmmm..? Was this perhaps Costa Cruise ??;p (Just kidding !!) After almost reading nothing BUT negative reviews for Costa here, I couldn't resist 'the playful jab'.

Mac

Hmmm..? Was this perhaps Costa Cruise ??;p (Just kidding !!) After almost reading nothing BUT negative reviews for Costa here, I couldn't resist 'the playful jab'.

Mac

No. They were attended to by a Costa ship three days ago. Though after sampling the food onboard they asked to return to their own boat. :p

I'm glad that all aboard were saved.

I can't help but wonder whether they would have been in less peril if they had put up the sails.

Ira

I thought that, too, but there must have been something wrong with the sails/mast. I would have tried to fashion a sort of canopy from the sails so they weren't sitting in the beating sun for 6 days.

No. They were attended to by a Costa ship three days ago. Though after sampling the food onboard they asked to return to their own boat. :p

LOLLLLLLLLLLL.!! Ya really can't blame 'em !! After all, after SOME of the not so decent Costa reviews here, even NO food would be better than Costa !! (STLL kidding !!);p

Mac

How will they be treated? Will they expel them in the first port? Will they be confined?

Probably off in Curaçao tomorrow and transferred to the hospital. I’m sure they’ll be treated well, fed and hydrated and given medical care until the.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

The six saved sailors were en route from Haiti to Guadeloupe, two of the women were pregnant so 8 lives saved. They lost their ruder and steerage, and were taking on water. A few other ships ignored their mayday calls. They had planned to jump in the water a few hours after our rescue if the had not been rescued.

They will be processed and depart today in Curaçao. While on board they were given food, water, baths and calls home where the had been gone for a month.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I wonder how often Celebrity comes across this. My last cruise on Reflection in 2015, we had to save a bunch of refugees who were adrift on nothing more than several inner tubes that were tied together. Several of them actually died during their journey and we picked up those who remained. Sad. Glad all survived here.

I can't say for Celebrity, but it's not just Celebrity that does this. Probably every month a merchant ship rescues some folks off boats, and probably twice a year a cruise ship will do so in the Caribbean, and it also happens often around the world. Unfortunately, there are those who venture on the sea in small vessels without the basics of safety equipment. This boat should have had an EPIRB (Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacon, which would have transmitted the boat's location and information to a satellite, and then to the closest national Coast Guard) and a SART (Search and Rescue Transponder, which "paints" a distinctive pattern on the radar screen of any ship within 20 miles indicating a vessel in distress). The boat could also have been steered by the sails (roughly).

They lost rudder and sails, I didn’t mention that. Captain Kate told me she once while on Disney brought some Cubans onboard as water bottles were being tossed to them from upper decks (coast guard told them not to board the refugees) so they had to for safety reasons but otherwise this was the first time she’s seen this. With all the ships and cruises, I still think it’s pretty rare.

Of course they should have DSC/EPIRB abd redunant Austen’s but not everyone can afford them, even if they should.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Dumb question looking at the size of this boat, was it to far out in the ocean ? :o

I showed us over 200nm WSW of Dominica where they were headed from Hatini believe. We were between Antigua and Curaçao on a sea day.

Happy sailing,

Jenna