Capri - question regarding hydrofoil back to ship

Bababooey Land

hi all.

we are going to tour Capri by ourselves based on all the info that we gathered from cruise critic. I have one question regarding the hydrofoil back to the ship.

Our ship leaves at 6:30pm.

Do you think we need to be on the 3:25pm hydrofoil or can we take the 4:30pm?

thanks for you input!

Larry

hi all.

we are going to tour Capri by ourselves based on all the info that we gathered from cruise critic. I have one question regarding the hydrofoil back to the ship.

thanks for you input!

Larry

Larry, you don't mention if your ship will be in Naples or Sorrento. In either case, allow ample time for delays. Our ferry was over 1/2 hour late in departing Capri.

The ride is 50 mnts appx. I suggest you to take the 3.25 p.m....

You never know about possible delays..

hi all.

thanks for you input!

Larry

to be on safe side.We were also there in June and it was very rough, had 1 hr.or so delay.So best to be early, they WILL sail without you....its a lovely island, lots to see, good food,etc...have a great time..also, bring cell phone and ships number, just in case....had this happen when we were running late,called ship, and many were having problems getting back, they actually delayed ship a bit....but heard some never made it back, took trains to next port....so always keep itinerary with you.....this is one of the drawbacks of going on own...but we usuallly do.....lucky so far...:eek:

One possible glitch ...

the hydrofoils will not run if there are rough seas. The bay is well protected and June is usually a time of quiet seas. Never the less, i would suggest you know the times of the "slow" ferries so if the wind/seas pick up, you will know what your options are.

I've taken these ferries a few times and had a couple of times with rough seas and fuel fumes. If you have a sensitive stomach, I highly recommend taking one Bonine each morning of the cruise. It doesn't make you sleepy like Dramimine and it keeps you feeling fine through choppy seas. I could have sold it for $10 a pill on my last cruise - some people were that desperate!

Best to keep in mind that the 12 hours in Naples is actually 9-10 hours from the earliest that you can get off until the time you must be back on board. Therefore do not make your ashore agenda too jammed full of things you would "like" to do.Pompeii alone is a few hours of very slow going over cobble stone steets worn smooth by years of tourists and weather.:)

where do you get the round trip tickets?

You buy the round trip ticket when you purchase your fare to Capri. You have to pick the return time at that time.

I think it's been said, but make sure you buy the hydrofoil, not the ferry. The ferry takes twice as long to get there.

Naples to Capri -

* Ferry: 80 minutes

* Fast ferry: 50 minutes

* Hydrofoil: 40 minutes

Archived