3 strikes and your out

Hawaiidan

Just wondering if this is more likely to happen with some cruises than others? Better to avoid some dates, itineraries? or is it just a random thing.

Mary

I do not recall Oceania bumping people from a cruise this close to sailing (7 mths) so maybe something new to watch

I seem to recall it happened once many years ago when they only had the 2 or 3 ships

IMO they should not be accepting full charters within 11-12 mths of the sailing

At that point people are booking air. tour guides & hotels ..

But I have no say in how they run the Company

I have stopped booking cruises 12 + mths out too many things can change

I may just start booking closer to sailing if we can get on a cruise if not then we will book something else

JMO

That may be the best approach, Lyn, but if you read the article about FDR's recent comments posted by "the mice" he said (a) prices are going up and (b) more and more people are booking earlier ... if you don't care where your cabin is located, booking later could be an answer. But it sounds like we'll need to book further out for the "right room" ...

Assuming we can afford it, of course!

Mura

That may be the best approach, Lyn, but if you read the article about FDR's recent comments posted by "the mice" he said (a) prices are going up and (b) more and more people are booking earlier ... if you don't care where your cabin is located, booking later could be an answer. But it sounds like we'll need to book further out for the "right room" ...

Assuming we can afford it, of course!

Mura

Could be scare tactics LOL

I see lots of cruises with lots of availability closer to sailing

not like the old days when you HAD to book 18 mths out

We just booked the April Crossing in July

remember when you had to book the crossings on day one

Booked in Aug last year for our Dec cruise

I am sure some of the special itineraries you need to book well in advance

So many more options now

Time will tell I guess :halo:

Thanks... the same people are at the helm but they have changed the thinking and direction of the company.

Considering this thread have been read by some 4000 persons, many O customers and each of those talks to 2 others about their negative experience and they in turn talk to 2 other potential clients thats 12,000+ folks who will not be booking with O. in the future.

I know, I talked up O over the years and put on a lot of folks with my recommendation, others did too.. Last month I was asked by 3 different couples what cruise line I loved. I no longer can do this but to tell the truth about the new business plan O seems to embrace.

With Viking making its big push, customers now have a very well positioned alternative. O needs to retain its past customers who are its biggest assets / salesmen... They are shooting themselves in the foot for short term gain.

Bad news spreads faster than butter on a hot stove. While they may make a few hundred K on charters, they will be loosing tens of millions in the coming years. I feel betrayed for my past loyality. My anger will diminish but not my memory.

O is becoming NCL with lipstick like it or not folks...

I think you're vastly overestimating the influence of a negative post on CC. You're assuming those who read your post won't book with Oceania because of it. If that were the case there wouldn't be a cruise line still in business. These boards are full of people posting their disappointing experiences and it doesn't look like the cruise lines are bleeding money or passengers because of them.

Thinking that 12,000 people won't book O because of your experience is, um, doubtful.

Oceania Serena at Xmas--we booked back to back--LA to Rio and back to Ft Lauderdale--

The first 35 days were the most boring we have ever encountered--food mediocre, ghetto ports, little if any entertainment--the equivalent of a high school band-and that is a push. We spent most of our time in our mini suite--We jumped ship in Rio and flew Copa home--

I had 4 meetings with the General Manager....he was jumping ship in Rio as well, so he did not care. The cruise director is useless--her husband, the comedian, told poor, dated jokes, and then shamed the other cruise lines--not so funny, Oceania!!! You are living on your past reputation. When meeting with them armed with profuse notes, I got nowhere--unbelievable but true. What a terrible experience. One not to be repeated.

After spending nearly 50K with Oceania for 56 days over Xmas & New Years, one would think someone would have called. Never heard from them and probably won't. They will go the way of Royal Viking--their days are numbered, cater to a very senior, sleepy crowd, nothing special anymore with Oceania--what a pity!!!! I was told during the meeting that from their "exemplary" reviews, guests do not want entertainment--REALLY??? Xmas eve the 4 singers walked around the dining room ONCE with a Xmas carol...I could not believe the amateurish entertainers (And I used this term loosely)--what a joke!

We are Elite on Princess, and by the 4th meeting with the GM and Social Director, I let them know, in no uncertain terms, they can have our suite booked for the remainder 21 days. No one at Oceania cares any longer--it is all about the money--cut corners everywhere--if you are reading this, forget Oceania and what you have heard. They are no 5 star--not even close. Never again--At that level, Crystal Cruises--here we come--Oceania--you will be bankrupt in the next 5 years because you do not care about your passengers AT ALL!!!!!

So dear readers of this thread, you have read of numerous stories of O cancelling on fully paid and reserved passengers only months before a promised cruises. Sometimes the same passengers get cancelled multiple times in less than 90 days!

Too you have learned that getting re-booked is not a guarantee that you will not get cancelled again. You have also learned that O is eagerly courting charter groups and is willing book out a whole ship at any time. O we are told is aggressively marketing chartering in the future as a business plan over individual passengers, even groups..

People who booked 11 to 12 months are shocked to discover that they have nothing to rely on when all is said and done. and O will do nothing really to compensate your loss for air, hotels, tours that you might have been foolish enough to book yourself.

It is thus very important to take out extensive insurance to protect yourself any time you contemplate taking a risk by booking Oceania or be in for a nasty surprise. Do not assume things will go as well as in the past years..

Look, for over a decade I would not sail any other line but Oceania. The ships, the food the staff best I have found. However, the direction that the company has taken has left me in a position where I can no longer take the risk of booking , planning and dreaming of a cruise experience that may never happen. The risk is, for me too high. You must evaluate what your level of risk tolerance is and plan accordingly. I used to love Oceania and now feel that love no longer exists for me.

Something has changed to the company and this may just be the start of even more changes . If the recent past is any indicator, the future is in serious question.

I wish all good fortune, and travel.... but today , more than ever be aware of the risk you take with bookings in the future.

Tussch................ D

I think the heart of the matter is that they have wounded an O champion. Dan is more hurt and wounded than out of pocket!

After one O cruise I said never again. But, never say never as I have now booked one in 2020.

I have had a similar problem thrice and Crystal and PG cruises compensated me very fairly. Only Celebrity didnt treat us fairly though the time line was 24 months,

I think the heart of the matter is that they have wounded an O champion. Dan is more hurt and wounded than out of pocket!

It might seem so but I had booked guests too and aside from the personal sadness, I did take a financial loss , to add injury to insult. And got to take it 2 times not just once.

I know never is a big word... I do not use lightly.

However, when you get burned repeatedly in such a short time.... end of story I would be a fool. Anyone would be a fool to trust O again. As I said O is heading in a new direction and It is not good.

We are booked on the first leg on the 2019 WC so I don't think it will be canceled. We are being joined by a friend and this will be her first O cruise. We will be on the "re-imagined" Insignia. We are hoping for a good experience as our last one with them in December in South Afirca left a great deal to be desired. Our TA reached out to them and did get some satisfaction for his group.

We took our first Viking Ocean cruise in July and we very pleased, with the exception of the lousy internet. The onboard WiFi was great. We have booked 3 more Viking cruises, as we like the itineraries. We had the best cabin stewardess we can remember ever having and the entire crew, through all officers were extremely friendly and helpful. Food was a toss up, except we think O has more variety, although I must say we never went hungry. We will see how our upcoming O crfuise goes before we book anymore.

Dan;

Now that we know you’re feelings and new direction, should we expect you to come back daily, weekly, etc to continue beating this dead horse?

At this point, what are you’re expectations? Oceania will pay you off to stop the constant bleating? Is it about the money Dan?

Everyone here has sympathy for your case. Many of us might even believe they shouldn’t charter out a ship inside the 330 ( flight availability) day deadline. That’s their decision however. Beating the dead horse everyday only results in you being the only reader of the thread in short notice.

I have an excellent TA and she asks me everything time I book a cruise if I want to buy trip insurance. I think most good TAs do.

We always have travel insurance and would be covered if we had to cancel due to illness, death, jury service or similar. We would not be covered if the cruise company simply decided to cancel the cruise.

I've just had a look at the insurance Oceania recommends in the UK and can't see that it would be covered under their policy either.

Thank you Dan for highlighting what has happened to you. I will be very wary booking a non refundable flight for use with an Oceania cruise in the future.

Edited by Janet-
typo

We always have travel insurance and would be covered if we had to cancel due to illness, death, jury service or similar. We would not be covered if the cruise company simply decided to cancel the cruise.

I've just had a look at the insurance Oceania recommends in the UK and can't see that it would be covered under their policy either.

Thank you Dan for highlighting what has happened to you. I will be very wary booking a non refundable flight for use with an Oceania cruise in the future.

+1 Perfectly said.

Dear Hawaiidan

I have enjoyed your CC posts on the Oceania board for quite a while. I am disappointed that Oceania appears to have treated you so poorly.

If it suits you, please advise a to what other cruise line CC board I can read your comments on in the coming days.

Calm seas, great sunsets and memorable travel adventures to you in the future.

Dear Hawaiidan

I have enjoyed your CC posts on the Oceania board for quite a while. I am disappointed that Oceania appears to have treated you so poorly.

If it suits you, please advise a to what other cruise line CC board I can read your comments on in the coming days.

Calm seas, great sunsets and memorable travel adventures to you in the future.

Thanks Spud..for your kind words.... it was fun over the years... time to move on however.

The recent turn of events has given me pause to observe, what in my opinion, is a new direction of not only O but the cruise industry in general.. Coupled with the fact that I have been just about everywhere I ever wanted to go by ship.

The reality is on smaller ships that sail on 7 to 14 day cruises are at risk of being turned to charters without notice, the most at risk being in the Mediterranean and Carribe. The industry is not the same as it was even a year ago. My experiences may very well become more and more common lines place more and more marketing effort to get charterers. Clearly, charters come first. Passengers already booked are an insurance policy for a cruise if they can not sell it as a charter .

I carefully selected O over all other lines as the one which most suited me. With its recent direction that leaves no viable alternative. Hence I wont be commenting or participation in a field I no longer enjoy. That would be futile. For me cruise trips were an end to a means, not a lifestyle as some do.

Take care and thanks for you wishes...I wish the same to any and all

HD

Thanks Spud..for your kind words.... it was fun over the years... time to move on however.

The recent turn of events has given me pause to observe, what in my opinion, is a new direction of not only O but the cruise industry in general.. Coupled with the fact that I have been just about everywhere I ever wanted to go by ship.

The reality is on smaller ships that sail on 7 to 14 day cruises are at risk of being turned to charters without notice, the most at risk being in the Mediterranean and Carribe. The industry is not the same as it was even a year ago. My experiences may very well become more and more common lines place more and more marketing effort to get charterers. Clearly, charters come first. Passengers already booked are an insurance policy for a cruise if they can not sell it as a charter .

I carefully selected O over all other lines as the one which most suited me. With its recent direction that leaves no viable alternative. Hence I wont be commenting or participation in a field I no longer enjoy. That would be futile. For me cruise trips were an end to a means, not a lifestyle as some do.

Take care and thanks for you wishes...I wish the same to any and all

HD

Dan, I too want to wish you well, we had spirited discussions and believe our knowledge meshed well and we helped many travelers thru the credit card air mazes. As you said, not many cruise lines left. We thought Azamara was great until the home office bugaboo reared its' ugly head not with a charter but, a quest for money by moving to Cuba cruise that I believe are huge money makers due to small fuel costs and the ability to stock up in Miami.

The Azamara home office is a disaster that we will not put up with, even worse than Oceania/Regent. On board experience cannot make up for a disaster before and after the cruise.

Wishing you well in whatever you end up doing. They did you wrong where most cruise lines would have made you whole for your out of pocket expenses caused by them.

I'm confused????

The ship had internal WiFi that always worked beautiifully. You could use an app on your phone to see what the daily progran was, all the menus in each resturant, the excursions etc. We could also text each other over WiFi. For instance, I usually got up later than my husband and he might be out of the cabin so I"d text him and he's soon be back with fresh coffee for me while i got ready to go to breakfast. (like it better than the coffee posd in the cabin)

The external internet was what was usually lousy from our perspective. It connected through a server in Spain so your home page came up in Spanish - once you were able to connect. (my husband did a work around for this) We did meet a couple who was happy with it, as they lived in a rural area and had dial up at home! Perhaps part of it was our location in Norway. Hoping that's the case as our next cruise with them is quite long. But it's not detering us from sailing with them again.