why did princess drop the cents from their pricing

luckyinpa

the site looks so much more plain without the cents on the pricing. now they are just like all the other lines. it just looks freaky now. :confused:

I don’t know and didn’t notice. You mean that instead of charging 10.99 for something it’s now 11.00?

old and new pics attached.

on the main page of cruises and pricing there is no .00

if you click on the cruise the .00 is there. ive never seen any cruising priced other than at .00 so it seems weird to keep cents on some pages but not others

399878306_newpricing.thumb.PNG.2c8d0fded470a57c74f72a90dd06bf02.PNG

2076685851_14daybalc.thumb.PNG.cf3dfce5b98b4477aa7ad0a2ba1334c7.PNG

While off the specific subject but perhaps of interest, Canada withdrew and eliminated the penny altogether although prices are still shown with cents. All cash transactions are rounded off such as $5.22 is charged at $5.20 and items priced a $5.23 are charged at $5.25 It works. The most ridiculous use of the decimal point has to be at gas stations. The precious liquid priced at $3.49 9/10 a gallon as if one tenth of one cent is going prevent you from realizing its $3.50/gallon and draw you in... Restaurants are increasingly dropping the cents and showing dollars only. Today' pennies are tomorrow's collectables.

old and new pics attached.

on the main page of cruises and pricing there is no .00

if you click on the cruise the .00 is there. ive never seen any cruising priced other than at .00 so it seems weird to keep cents on some pages but not others

They really didn’t omit the cents, they replaced the unneeded .00 with nothing. Much neater and much easier to type. That’s my humble opinion.

Maureen

I doubt that anyone of the "experts" on this forum knows why. Princess does.:)

There might not even be a "why", just an unintended side-effect of the SDE

used to write the web page, and then a decision it wasn't worth fixing.

While off the specific subject but perhaps of interest, Canada withdrew and eliminated the penny altogether although prices are still shown with cents. All cash transactions are rounded off such as $5.22 is charged at $5.20 and items priced a $5.23 are charged at $5.25 It works. The most ridiculous use of the decimal point has to be at gas stations. The precious liquid priced at $3.49 9/10 a gallon as if one tenth of one cent is going prevent you from realizing its $3.50/gallon and draw you in... Restaurants are increasingly dropping the cents and showing dollars only. Today' pennies are tomorrow's collectables.

Now that's a change I would love to see. Take the extra tenth of a cent as extra tax and round the price up. It's stupid. There must be some weird reason for it but I certainly wouldn't mind paying the extra tenth of a cent.

We have had rounding down here for quite a few years and they stopped one and two cent pieces a few years ago. I find it quite strange when we go to the US that they still have one cent coins, even one dollar notes for that matter. We moved to one and two dollar coins years ago as many countries have, and I always have a bulging wallet when I travel to the US. Unfortunately my wallet is full of lousy one dollar notes!

We have had rounding down here for quite a few years and they stopped one and two cent pieces a few years ago. I find it quite strange when we go to the US that they still have one cent coins, even one dollar notes for that matter. We moved to one and two dollar coins years ago as many countries have, and I always have a bulging wallet when I travel to the US. Unfortunately my wallet is full of lousy one dollar notes!

I have the opposite problem when we go to Canada. I don't carry coins at home. In Canada I have to have a bunch of them! Like many people here I don't deal with the pennies. Any change that has pennies the darn things go into the "leave a penny / take a penny" cup on the counter. We do appreciate not dealing with stupid pennies when we visit Canada. The prices for beer, wine, and liquor though. Wow! :eek: (For some reason the prices didn't stop us from purchasing those items. ;p ) We have found, however, that the reputation for polite people is well deserved. Canada has, for us, been a great place to visit.

The added 9/10 cents to the price of gas goes back to the earlier part of the last century when it meant something. Today it is a vestige of the past that needs to be eliminated. The US penny is equally ridiculous and needs to be eliminated. Many nice restaurants price their food now in even dollars which I find refreshing. How many times have you seen something priced $xx.99 or $xx.98 as if the normal person is fooled by the price. I also agree that the US dollar note needs to be a coin. It would save on the printing costs of the paper note which does not wear as well as the coin.

The added 9/10 cents to the price of gas goes back to the earlier part of the last century when it meant something. Today it is a vestige of the past that needs to be eliminated. The US penny is equally ridiculous and needs to be eliminated. Many nice restaurants price their food now in even dollars which I find refreshing. How many times have you seen something priced $xx.99 or $xx.98 as if the normal person is fooled by the price. I also agree that the US dollar note needs to be a coin. It would save on the printing costs of the paper note which does not wear as well as the coin.

Alas, data indicate way too many folks are fooled, so ".99" will continue for the foreseeable future.

Now that's a change I would love to see. Take the extra tenth of a cent as extra tax and round the price up. It's stupid. There must be some weird reason for it but I certainly wouldn't mind paying the extra tenth of a cent.

Thrak,

I wish I got that tenth of a cent on every gallon of gasoline sold. I think I could buy a cabin cruiser to put my rowboat on and my wife wouldn't have to row anymore...:):):)

The Captain of The Rowboat,

Tony

It would save on the printing costs of the paper note which does not wear as well as the coin.

If I have $4 in my pocket, I much rather have it be four pieces of paper than four coins.

The USA does have $1 coins. Hardly anybody uses them and many places of business do not recognize them as being real. The government has tried to encourage $1 coin use in the past with such tactics as giving change in stamp vending machines using $1 coins when appropriate.

2018-native-american-one-dollar-uncirculated-coin-obverse.jpg2018-native-american-one-dollar-uncirculated-coin-reverse.jpg

Did it in Australia years ago too.