"Behind the Scenes" Tour. Is It Worth It?

Classiccruiser777

I will have abundant OBC on a QM2 cruise next year and would like to know the thoughts of those who have taken this tour. What exactly did you see and, knowing what you know now, would you do it again?

The several people that I know who have done the tour say it was good and well worth the money. It does involve a lot of walking though.

Hi,

I did this tour on the Queen Elizabeth in November 2012 and enjoyed it. I have also done similar tours on the Caribbean Princess and the Allure of the Seas. Even though these tours are fairly expensive, it is worth it to me. Because I am a big ocean liner/cruise ship fan, I really like seeing "behind the scenes."

Chuck

I did the behind the scenes tour last week last week aboard the QM2 during the 10/15-10/27 New England/Canada cruise and I would say that it is worth the $120 fee that is charged to take this tour. I saw the mooring deck, and where the anchor machinery is located in the bow, the engine control room, the galleys, the hospital on 1 Deck, the dressing rooms in the Royal Court Theatre, and the visit to the bridge. We also had a group photo with QM2 Captain Kevin Oprey and each passenger on this tour got their copy of this photo. If you decide to go on this tour I hope you enjoy it as much as I did :) Regards,Jerry

We did the tour on the Sept 22 TA from New York and really enjoyed it. Cruise Liner Fan has outlined most of the things you see. It also takes you to the garbage separation and recycling operation and they give you a briefing on how bags are loaded and unloaded and distributed to staterooms in a very short time and they give you a demonstration of their fire fighting gear.

After the galley you stop in the upper level on the Britannia dining room for a nice snack and nice juice cocktails.

If your mobility is normal it is not a lot of walking.

Its a little expensive at $120 but I thought it was worth it and enjoyed it. They have somewhat high costs because they only take 16 people and you are accompanied throughout by a member of the entertainment staff and 2 security staff as well as being met and briefed by officers including the captain at various stops.

Would I do it again? No, because I've done it. But I do highly recommend it for anyone interested in seeing behind the scenes.

I will have abundant OBC on a QM2 cruise next year and would like to know the thoughts of those who have taken this tour. What exactly did you see and, knowing what you know now, would you do it again?
We took the tour on July 10 this year on QM2 and had a ball. Well worth the cost and effort. Here is my blog about it.

We did it on the QV in July 2012 & it was amazing. I have written about it in quite a bit of detail on another thread. Well worth the money - I've got the free apron & pin badge to prove it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I'd love to do this tour but on both my short QV cruises they were not offering it. I am on QM2 next month for 11 days so hoping it will be offered, can anyone tell me whether they do more than 1 per cruise or whether its possible to book before the cruise as spaces are so limited?

Many thanks

Pamela

I'd love to do this tour but on both my short QV cruises they were not offering it. I am on QM2 next month for 11 days so hoping it will be offered, can anyone tell me whether they do more than 1 per cruise or whether its possible to book before the cruise as spaces are so limited?

Many thanks

Pamela

Hi Pamela

I believe they only do one per cruise of over seven days and they don't seem to allow pre-booking before you board.

I would suggest that you head to the Tour office as soon as possible and ask them to register your interest. If you're in the Grills then use your concierge.

andhow

Many thanks

Pamela

Pamela, When I boarded QM2 2 weeks ago on October 15th, it was the next day on October 16th when the travel & tour office opened that I was able to sign up for the behind the scenes tour and when I did sign up I was told that it did not guarantee that I would actually go. Since they only allow 16 passengers on the tour I guess that they must get more than 16 requests for this tour. And I don't know how & which passengers are chosen for the tour. I would suggest on the day you board the QM2 to inquire at the travel & tour office which is located on 2 Deck next to the Purser's Office in the Grand Lobby. And I am glad that I was one of the 16 passengers on this tour. It was on the next day October 17th that I got the letter informing me that I was allowed on the tour. Regards,Jerry

Pamela, on my TA they accepted reservations for the tour the first morning at the tour office which opened at 9 a.m. I got there 20 minutes before opening and I was about number 5 or 6 in the line-up. If you really want to do it, my advice is to get there early and be prepared to wait a little while.

I'm fairly sure there is only one tour per cruise or segment.

I wonder if during a World Voyage, they conduct a tour sometime during each sector. If that's the case, some could have more than one chance to sign up for the tour.

Also wonder for the ones taking the full World Voyage, can they sign up using their World Voyage Concierge?

Don

I wonder if during a World Voyage, they conduct a tour sometime during each sector. If that's the case, some could have more than one chance to sign up for the tour.

Also wonder for the ones taking the full World Voyage, can they sign up using their World Voyage Concierge?

Don

Hi Don

I would have thought they'll have more than one on the world cruise:).

I would also have thought that we can use the WC concierge for putting a request in.

Andi

I did the tour last year and was able to pay for mine with OBC. It was worth it but you have to realize you do a lot of walking and are on your feet the whole time.

We had a group of 16 and everybody was enthusiastic. They were there because they wanted to be. We had some really good questions asked and people didn't chitchat while the tour was going on.

We had rough seas and while Hamish Sunter was showing us the mooring ropes and later the anchor chains the steel deck was wet and slippery! Capt. Sunter stood there feet planted and lectured. We were grouped around clutching whatever was available. I remember hugging a pillar at one point. A picture of us would have been priceless.

Don

I'm hoping the answer to each of these is "yes"!

Pamela, on my TA they accepted reservations for the tour the first morning at the tour office which opened at 9 a.m. I got there 20 minutes before opening and I was about number 5 or 6 in the line-up. If you really want to do it, my advice is to get there early and be prepared to wait a little while.

I'm fairly sure there is only one tour per cruise or segment.

Thanks for this, I'll be in that queue!!

Pamela

Hello

I did the behind the scenes tour on the 9/2/13 westbound crossing. Worth it. I was too far behind in the line to do it on the eastbound in July. It is important to note that this tour is not promoted in the ship's program. A lot of people want to do this tour so if you really want to go I would get into line about 8 AM for the 9 AM opening to avoid disappointment. You can pass the waiting time reading or chatting with your fellow passengers. You cannot pre-book this tour.

The tour includes a nice certificate, chefs hat and apron and photograph with the captain on the bridge. There is also a pause for refreshments. You should also know that taking photographs is not permitted. Have fun. Good luck.

Deck Chair

Hello

I did the behind the scenes tour on the 9/2/13 westbound crossing. Worth it. I was too far behind in the line to do it on the eastbound in July. It is important to note that this tour is not promoted in the ship's program. A lot of people want to do this tour so if you really want to go I would get into line about 8 AM for the 9 AM opening to avoid disappointment. You can pass the waiting time reading or chatting with your fellow passengers. You cannot pre-book this tour.

The tour includes a nice certificate, chefs hat and apron and photograph with the captain on the bridge. There is also a pause for refreshments. You should also know that taking photographs is not permitted. Have fun. Good luck.

Deck Chair

hi Deck Chair

It was promoted in our transatlantic last year - see attached. Sorry the resolution isn't very good.

andhow

897827177_Behindthescenetour12.jpg.dcb633a90c2bd4c868a72758557fccd8.jpg

Hi Don

I would have thought they'll have more than one on the world cruise:).

I would also have thought that we can use the WC concierge for putting a request in.

Andi

I am assured that on a World Cruise it is one per sector.

Archived