Laundry Question on Zaandam

jennaja

We will be on the 14 day Alaskan sailing on the Zaandam in a few weeks, and are wondering about the quality of the laundry services. For those of you have used it, do you find that your clothing comes back clean and sanitized, or is it kind of "iffy"?

Does the unlimited laundry package include dry cleaning and/or pressing of garments, or just laundering?

What is the typical turn-around time on a fully booked ship?

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

We will be on the 14 day Alaskan sailing on the Zaandam in a few weeks, and are wondering about the quality of the laundry services. For those of you have used it, do you find that your clothing comes back clean and sanitized, or is it kind of "iffy"?

Does the unlimited laundry package include dry cleaning and/or pressing of garments, or just laundering?

What is the typical turn-around time on a fully booked ship?

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

Overall, we have been happy with laundry on the ships.

It's certainly not "iffy". ;)

Unlimited laundry package includes pressing and laundry. Everything that you send out for laundry comes pack nicley pressed. Drycleaning is not included and is available at an additional cost.

Turnaround time - the ship will say up to 48 hours but in our experience, it either comes back the same day (evening if you put it out in morning) or the next day - so 24 hours max normally is the turn around time we have experienced.

Unlimited laundry package includes pressing and laundry. Everything that you send out for laundry comes pack nicley pressed. Drycleaning is not included and is available at an additional cost.

Just to clarify, everything that's sent to be washed is also pressed (as appropriate for the garment). That includes the unlimited, per bag, and per item methods of payment

Pressing only is a separate package, or a separate charge if priced per item, as is dry cleaning.

About how many days of clothing will fit in the $20 bag (folded and smushed to max.)?

I can easily get 6-7 sundresses and sets of undies in the bag. There's still a bit of room, but by then the bag is heavy for me.

I roll the clothes, not fold them. It's easier to fit them in the bag that way.

About how many days of clothing will fit in the $20 bag (folded and smushed to max.)?

We did the June 4th sailing and DH & I only used the blue bags twice in the two weeks. An Alaska destination had more jeans than sundresses ;)

Utahtea

You need to be aware that all the major cruise lines have discontinued dry cleaning onboard. The chemicals required were carcinogenic with humans and highly toxic to ocean life.

Many - including HAL - have switched to a "wet cleaning" system that uses water and fruit extracts.

This system works well for many types of dry-cleanable fabrics.

But for some special fabrics, the results can be catastrophic.

Be very careful deciding which items to send for "dry cleaning".

Most cruise lines have been upfront about the new system, but HAL has hidden the details in the fine print.

Some HAL ships still claim to offer dry cleaning, which is not true.

Thanks for the clarification. I doubt that we will even bring anything that needs actual dry cleaning, but it's good information to have.

Thanks for the clarification. I doubt that we will even bring anything that needs actual dry cleaning, but it's good information to have.

I used the unlimited laundry on the Zaandam last month in Alaska and laundry turned in before 9:00 AM was returned the same evening (with two exceptions). Laundry left on your bed when you go to dinner was returned the next morning.

Service was excellent.

FWIW here are the daily menus for MDR and Lido Market:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/specialty-2/specifc-cruise-lido-and-mdr-menus/hal-alaska14-day-2018-menus

And your daily activities:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/specialty-2/on-locations-specific-cruises/alaska-ms-zaandam-14-day-when-where-daily-activities-2018

I used the unlimited laundry on the Zaandam last month in Alaska and laundry turned in before 9:00 AM was returned the same evening (with two exceptions). Laundry left on your bed when you go to dinner was returned the next morning.

Service was excellent.

FWIW here are the daily menus for MDR and Lido Market:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/specialty-2/specifc-cruise-lido-and-mdr-menus/hal-alaska14-day-2018-menus

And your daily activities:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/specialty-2/on-locations-specific-cruises/alaska-ms-zaandam-14-day-when-where-daily-activities-2018

Thanks so much for the menus and daily activity planner! The excitement is building!

I enjoyed your "live" review and photos very much. Thank you.

Thanks so much for the menus and daily activity planner! The excitement is building!

I enjoyed your "live" review and photos very much. Thank you.

I have updated my website Locations Tab with photos from Ketchikan, Whittier Glaciers, Juneau, Ketchikan Crab Fishing, ISP, Homer, Kodiak, Hubbard Glacier, Anchorage (Whittier 26 Glacier excursion) but still working on wildlife and flower pictures.

If you mix colors in the bag, do they (HAL) launder them as one batch? Any risk of whites coming back pink?

love, eat, cruise

My whites in over 200 loads have never come back with any color change. I think they wash whites separately.

Tried the $20 bag for first time on our may 7 sailing. Loved it. Next time will do unlimited and pack/lug far less. Was able to roll 3 jeans, pjs, 5 shirts and many undies and socks. Picked up after breakfast and returned before dinner

For those who have lots of “hang dry or you will be sad” clothes (LulaRoe), is this an option w the ship laundry? Or should I plan on washing those in my room? Going to get the unlimited package regardless for my husband and other things, just wondering.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm reviving this slightly older thread to say that I was very impressed with the stuff-a-bag laundry service. We fit 2 pairs of jeans, 2 pairs of outdoor pants, 10 shirts, 2 dresses, 15 underthings, and 9 pairs of socks into the bag.

Our bag was picked up at 6pm on Wednesday, and our laundry was returned pressed and folded before 11am today (Thursday).

For those who have lots of “hang dry or you will be sad” clothes (LulaRoe), is this an option w the ship laundry? Or should I plan on washing those in my room? Going to get the unlimited package regardless for my husband and other things, just wondering.

They can't return it wet, so, if it is line dry only clothing, your best bet is hand washing and hanging to dry on the line in your washroom.

• 1 month later...