Medallion net

Jacob0525

Does anyone know where I can find the schedule for the Princess ships to receive medallion net? I know the Regal is the only ship that has it right now, but I heard they will be rolling out the new internet to some of the other ships. Thanks in advance.

Medallion.net and Ocean Medallion schedules are on the double secret, need to know schedule, along with the tip allocation pool;p

You’re wrong - the tip allocation pool is triple secret. :D

Does anyone know where I can find the schedule for the Princess ships to receive medallion net? I know the Regal is the only ship that has it right now, but I heard they will be rolling out the new internet to some of the other ships. Thanks in advance.

Joking aside. No such schedule has been published.The Medallion.Net rollout may or may not still be tied to the rollout of Ocean Medallion itself (in beta on Regal to limited cabins) although there was a suggestion that Caribbean Princess will be next in line while the Regal is in Europe this summer.

If I interpreted a recent post correctly installation of the ***** is not going well on the Caribbean Princess as of the beginning of July. Can’t locate the post. The internet upgrade is unclear and whether they have located satellites to support it in the North. Mike

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The internet upgrade is unclear and whether they have located satellites to support it in the North. Mike

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The issues Regal had on this spring's T/A and early Baltic season were lead time (you can't book

that much bandwidth mid-voyage), and cost. They've had the lead time now and are undoubtedly

taking a loss on it, but --kudos to Princess-- recent reports from folks on the Regal report that

MedallionNet is working fine. But for next year? Princess is not making any commitments. Back

in May, all internet offers were pulled for Regal's T/A next spring, and none have been seen since.

Joking aside. No such schedule has been published.The Medallion.Net rollout may or may not still be tied to the rollout of Ocean Medallion itself (in beta on Regal to limited cabins) although there was a suggestion that Caribbean Princess will be next in line while the Regal is in Europe this summer.

The spiffy satellites that MedallionNet is based upon scoot across the sky and take new satellite-

pointing hardware. There is a report that Emerald got new satellite-pointing hardware a couple

of weeks ago.

"2+2 = 4" or "2+2 = 5"? Dunno.

We were on the Regal in February and the Wi-FI was excellent and free. We however were not one of the chosen for the Ocean Medallion program and instead they gave us each a 200 reduction on our cruise price. I think (just guessing) that they are having tremendous problems with the Ocean Medallion program and Wi-fi and it may be a long long time before this is available on any other ship. We are sailing on the Royal in February and you would think that it is one of the newer ships that ***** would be available but it is not.

The spiffy satellites that MedallionNet is based upon scoot across the sky and take new satellite-

pointing hardware. There is a report that Emerald got new satellite-pointing hardware a couple

of weeks ago.

"2+2 = 4" or "2+2 = 5"? Dunno.

"2+2 = 4". :D

Emerald apparently did get her new satellite-tracking hardware.

The internet packages offered on her December Hawai'i cruise just changed again (4th time) and

she's now offering 7 flavors of internet: 3 tiers of "unlimited" and 4 bundles of minutes.

FWIW, it's now called "Princess Connect".

Emerald apparently did get her new satellite-tracking hardware.

The internet packages offered on her December Hawai'i cruise just changed again (4th time) and

she's now offering 7 flavors of internet: 3 tiers of "unlimited" and 4 bundles of minutes.

I know you're obsessed with what you think...

But, if you have a look at this post:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=56526358&postcount=20

There is no correlation between new hardware, and unlimited internet packages being offered.

We just got off Caribbean Princess.

First few days internet was awful. Then it improved to quite good. There were guys in "Ocean" shirts running around all cruise.

They were taking down cabin mailboxes and installing cabin number plaques and brass coloured plates onto which they were affixing screens about the size of an ipad mini. We saw one hallway with the screens already up but I didnt note the brand. ( they were mostly installed crooked - so crooked it was noticable- but that is a different issue! :rolleyes:)

Passenger services said that the cruise cards would soon all be proximity type cards that cannot be punched for lanyards. They have magnetic strips on them to use in door locks.

(I won't use the proper name letters as I know I will get them wrong -- RDIF? Or something like that)

He said the crew all use them already as they are not supposed to de-magnify.

Our daughter had a new proximity one to use as a key to our door (after demagnifying 2 regular cards) and she DID demagnify the strip. The guy at passenger services was stumped.

I hope when they are in use as "proximity" they will work better.

So..... does this mean CB will be next in the technology rollout?

Maybe!

I know you're obsessed with what you think...

But, if you have a look at this post:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=56526358&postcount=20

There is no correlation between new hardware, and unlimited internet packages being offered.

Last go 'round, I'll listen but not likely respond further. It's physics and geometry: opinions don't count.

The geosynchronous satellites we love to cuss use dipole antennae. The only satellites currently with

dish-type downlink antennae (and the ultra-high cheap bandwidth that goes with that) are the O3b's in

Medium Earth Orbit.

Unlike GEOs that stay over one longitude, MEOs scoot across the sky. Emerald 's satellite dish

mounts had had only enough range of motion to track GEO's and not MEO's. Or so said a contact in

Santa Clarita when I buttonholed her about why all of Emerald's internet offerings had disappeared

from my Personalizer. She explained that Emerald had gotten new satellite-tracking hardware the

previous week, and that Emerald "should" be offering unlimited internet plans "soon".

Today? Voila!

Final point: North of Seattle/Southampton, or south of the Falklands, the O3b's are below the

horizon and unavailable. Kudos to Princess --once they could book enough more-expensive

bandwidth from enough GEOs-- for providing unlimited internet aboard Regal in the Baltic this

year as promised. They are *not* doing so for her T/A next spring.

Last go 'round, I'll listen but not likely respond further.

Speaking of you repeating yourself, you've done it again.

The unlimited plans were announced here (at least as early as) last october.

No new hardware on Grand at that time.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=54315469

You claim the unlimited plans are somehow linked to use of new satellites.

There is nothing in what princess has done that supports that.

You seem to think that if you repeat the same guesses over and over and over

again, they somehow become more important.

Really, they just become tiresome.

We just got off Caribbean Princess.

They were taking down cabin mailboxes and installing cabin number plaques and brass coloured plates onto which they were affixing screens about the size of an ipad mini. We saw one hallway with the screens already up but I didnt note the brand. ( they were mostly installed crooked - so crooked it was noticable- but that is a different issue! :rolleyes:)

So..... does this mean CB will be next in the technology rollout?

Maybe!

Thank you for the update - it does indeed look as though there is progress on rolling out ***** on another Princess ship this summer as promised. And looking at the information on the Roll Calls - the first Ocean Medallion sailing on Caribbean Princess will be the one on August 4th in 3 weeks' time.

I wonder if it will be just a small section like on the Regal - did you make a note of the decks and cabins being upgraded?

Sandra

Edited by dides

Thank you for the update - it does indeed look as though there is progress on rolling out ***** on another Princess ship this summer as promised. And looking at the information on the Roll Calls - the first Ocean Medallion sailing on Caribbean Princess will be the one on August 4th in 3 weeks' time.

I wonder if it will be just a small section like on the Regal - did you make a note of the decks and cabins being upgraded?

Sandra

Didn't check every deck, no.

We saw Lido was done with the screens already and we were on Emerald where they switched over from the mailboxes.

Don't know if they are going full medallion though. As I mentioned, the passenger services desk were talking about new KEY CARDS that were proximity type -- not medallions.

Maybe partial rollout?

Didn't check every deck, no. Don't know if they are going full medallion though. As I mentioned, the passenger services desk were talking about new KEY CARDS that were proximity type -- not medallions.

Maybe partial rollout?

Thanks - yes, probably partial. Only guesswork based on combining your info with another member posting on the roll call for August 4th - they had chatted with a senior officer on board and was told Ocean Medallion was kicking off on that sailing.

Sandra

Princess has just changed ALL of the Regal cruises from "Ocean Medallion" to "Ocean Medallion Preview".

Lucyyyyyyyyyyyyyy,,,!!!!

I think you got some 'splaining to doooooooo!

I wonder if they have a banner experience manager, to handle the banners on the cruise

listings on the princess web site...

• 1 month later...

header_caribR1.jpg

MedallionNet™— Fast. Reliable. Unlimited. Affordable. spacer.gif Caribbean Princess® has been completely upgraded with state-of-the-art technology so you can stay connected to the web like never before. Enjoy MedallionNet Wi-Fi for as low as $9.99 per day when a package is purchased for the entire voyage, plus save an additional 10% when you purchase pre-cruise.

spacer.gif

Just received this e-mail from Princess for our Caribbean Princess cruise next week.

Bob (Cruise-O-Matic)

header_caribR1.jpg

MedallionNet™— Fast. Reliable. Unlimited. Affordable. spacer.gif Caribbean Princess® has been completely upgraded with state-of-the-art technology so you can stay connected to the web like never before. Enjoy MedallionNet Wi-Fi for as low as $9.99 per day when a package is purchased for the entire voyage, plus save an additional 10% when you purchase pre-cruise.

spacer.gif

Just received this e-mail from Princess for our Caribbean Princess cruise next week.

Bob (Cruise-O-Matic)

Darn - our next cruises are on the Crown and Royal - maybe they will get everything right and get it on those ships soon. We had the MedallionNet on the Regal last February and it was great.

As I posted on another thread, we had MedallionNet last week on Caribbean Princess. It was, frankly, phenomenal. Upload speeds were better that what I get at home with ATT U-Verse. Since I'm Elite and my son is Platinum, we both received unlimited access. This will obviously change once they exit the "preview" period.