First time to NYC....does this plan sound doable?

Odonpeg

Is this plan doable or am I crazy? I'm mainly asking about Monday, Oct. 15. There will be 4 of us (2 in the group are seniors who can get around fairly well but will need rest stops now and then). The plan is to use the subway system rather than the HOHO bus, but please correct me if that's a bad idea. I'm afraid we will just sit in traffic if we do the HOHO bus.

We arrive at JFK at 2:30pm on Sunday, Oct. 14....the plan is to get a taxi to our hotel in midtown Manhattan. Our only plan for that evening is to go to Times Square and to walk through Macy's.

Monday, October 15- After the morning rush hour about 9:30ish, our plan is to take the subway to see the 9/11 Memorial (not the museum) and from there take subway to Federal Hall, NY Stock Exchange, Wall Street, Charging Bull for photos and probably a quick bite to eat.I know most people could walk between the sights but we are trying to save the senior citizens' energy!:)

After that we will take the subway to the the Staten Island ferry terminal and take the ferry to take pics of Statue of Liberty and back on the ferry again.

I'm assuming it will be about 2:30pm or 3:00pm by this time.....or is that crazy to think we did the above mentioned activities in 5 or so hours? Again, if I'm wrong to think that, please correct me.

Moving along....take the subway back to Rockefeller Plaza and go to Top of the Rock and St. Patrick's Cathedral.

Thoughts?

Tuesday, October 16- about 9:30am take subway to Central Park and take carriage ride. After carriage ride, take subway to Grand Central Terminal and from there walk to NY Public library/Bryant Park.

Be back at hotel around 2pm to get taxi to Brooklyn cruise terminal.

I would so appreciate any feedback on these plans and if it's too much or doable.

Is this plan doable or am I crazy? I'm mainly asking about Monday, Oct. 15. There will be 4 of us (2 in the group are seniors who can get around fairly well but will need rest stops now and then). The plan is to use the subway system rather than the HOHO bus, but please correct me if that's a bad idea. I'm afraid we will just sit in traffic if we do the HOHO bus.

We arrive at JFK at 2:30pm on Sunday, Oct. 14....the plan is to get a taxi to our hotel in midtown Manhattan. Our only plan for that evening is to go to Times Square and to walk through Macy's.

Monday, October 15- After the morning rush hour about 9:30ish, our plan is to take the subway to see the 9/11 Memorial (not the museum) and from there take subway to Federal Hall, NY Stock Exchange, Wall Street, Charging Bull for photos and probably a quick bite to eat.I know most people could walk between the sights but we are trying to save the senior citizens' energy!:)

After that we will take the subway to the the Staten Island ferry terminal and take the ferry to take pics of Statue of Liberty and back on the ferry again.

I'm assuming it will be about 2:30pm or 3:00pm by this time.....or is that crazy to think we did the above mentioned activities in 5 or so hours? Again, if I'm wrong to think that, please correct me.

Moving along....take the subway back to Rockefeller Plaza and go to Top of the Rock and St. Patrick's Cathedral.

Thoughts?

Tuesday, October 16- about 9:30am take subway to Central Park and take carriage ride. After carriage ride, take subway to Grand Central Terminal and from there walk to NY Public library/Bryant Park.

I would so appreciate any feedback on these plans and if it's too much or doable.

What hotel are you staying in?

Subway from midtown Manhattan to 911 - ok

911 to Wall St - walk

Wall St to South Ferry - walk

Subway South Ferry to Rockefeller Center - ok

Hotel to Central Park - where exactly are you getting the carriage ride?

Central Park (where?) to Bryant Park - possibly #5 bus direct from Columbus Circle to Public Library

No reason for subway within Wall St area. Stations are confusing and you can end up walking a lot underground and wasting a lot of time and energy. 911 to South Ferry is about a 15 minute walk with Wall St in the middle. There is no subway at 911 that goes to Wall St - everyone walks that. There's also no reason to take the subway one stop from Wall St to Bowling Green or Rector to South Ferry.

Thank you for the responses. We will be staying at Embassy Suites at 60 W 37th St.

Our ship leaves Brooklyn at 7pm on Tuesday, Oct. 16.

Are you carrying your luggage to all of the places you're going to on Tuesday? Check out is typically 11 a.m.

IF you plan on leaving your luggage with the front desk at the hotel ... I wouldn't. I have never and I will never do that. Just fyi.

p.s. Everyone is going to be EXHAUSTED when you get on the ship and then begin your daily shore excursions. It just sounds WAY too intense.

Macy's flagship store, closes at 9 pm on Sunday, but, if plan to explore & shop ... might want to do that first, before going north to Times Square ... for photo ops ? What is your dinner plan ?

Flight arrived JFK at 2:30 pm, and, with wait for checked luggage - once plane is parked at the gate & you can deplane, walk thru arrival to the carousal area. I won't plan on getting to the taxi stand until 3:15 or 3:30 pm - it's a flat rate of about $53 to anywhere in Manhattan + $5.74 EZ-Pass discounted toll - we ususally tip about 20% rounded up. Expect travel time on Sundays to take easily 75 to 90 minutes as the Queens Midtown Tunnel has 1 tube closed on weekend on long-term work, leaving just 1 travel lane open in each direction and sometimes, massive delays in near gridlock conditions. Other toll-less crossing are sometimes just as bad, a no-win situation. With 4 travelers & reasonable luggage, you'll probably want to wait for a larger taxi, like a minivan or suv or one of the Nissan NV200 that can handle the riders & baggage, no extra/surcharge - taxi dispatcher on duty will be outside the terminal to assist. Just don't accept offers by strangers claiming to take you to a short or faster line with no wait, etc. = scammers.

Downtown Manhattan, from the 9/11 Memorial, it's a 10-15 walk down Broadway (north/south direction) past Trinity Church to Wall Street (east/west) - the Stock Exchange & Federal Hall are all in the same area, within 5 to 10 minutes walking distance. Walking at your own pace and there are deli's and outdoor places to sit/rest ... there's a nice McDonald on Broadway with a doorman (for real). Walk south on Broadway for another 3 or 4 city blocks to the Charging Bull - continue south, past the Whitehall subway station, to get to the S.I. Ferry Terminal, another 10 to 15 minutes of walking, depend on your senior speed.

For embarkation Tuesday, depending where & which subway station you are closest to, you can catch or transfer to the N/R/Q or D/E/F lines going downtown, exit at 6th Ave (Ave of the Americas) and 42nd. Street, across from Bryant Park, the NY Public Library's main branch is on 5th Avenue. Not sure if you are stopping inside to see the Grand Central Station Terminal - otherwise, you can skip heading east toward Lexington Avenue (2+ blocks east of 5th Avenue) ... as you are walking distance back to the hotel, really in between subway stations.

If walking proved to be a physical challenge for the 2 seniors, this morning is a good time to use a yellow taxi, for that 20 city blocks - not really going to cost you much more, if any, than 4X taking the subway (or city bus) @ $2.75 x 4 = $11 ... no climbing stairs or taking steps in the subway stations, platforms & concourse.

Looked like ship's sail at 7 pm, all onboard is probably 5 pm & no later than 5:30 pm. Leaving midtown hotel at 2 pm is probably fine to get there by 3:15 to 4 p.m. via the Hugh Carey Tunnel (with a toll) downtown, going past the WTC (9/11) area down the West Side Hwy vs. going across town & then the East River crossing. Being a weekday and with unpredictable traffic, I would probably leave a little earlier and allow extra time getting there ... going thru security, complete check-in, and board the ship, relax & get ready for muster drill & sailaway, and, dinner.

Good suggestion about taking short cab rides with 4 people. This would work well in lower Manhattan. Have a good street map with you that shows the street directions. For example, Broadway is a downtown Street, so walking to Broadway and taking a cab downtown 6 blocks could be a strategy.

Could you clarify your sightseeing objectives in the Grand Central and Bryant Park area?

Take advantage of your hotel's great location. For example, after you do downtown, pop back to the hotel for a respite. Then take the bus up 6th Ave to Rockefeller Center and St Patrick's. Don't underestimate the value of the bus in midtown for short distances. http://web.mta.info/nyct/maps/manbus.pdf I love the subway, but it can be confusing and it can be more stairs and walking underground than you expect. For example, the nearby 34th St subway station has a massive underground concourse that runs from 32nd/33rd St to 37th St. The Times Square Station is also massive and confusing.

Any serious planning to see multiple sites in New York should start with a good map - including the bus and subway routes. For example, the notion of taking the subway from 9/11 Memoriar to the Wall Street area/Federal Hall, while possible, is not a good idea. It would mean taking the E Train up to Canal then change to the A or C Train back down to Fulton, then change to the Lexington Line to Wall Street. Yes, the subway could take you, but in a far more tiring way.

Use the map to identify the longer connections where the subway would make sense, and then plan to walk between localized points of interest. Remember that, while taxis (perhaps preferably Uber) could help, many of the areas are badly clogged with traffic, making walking (as much as possible) the preferred/quicker option.

Remember when walking down Broadway to look at your feet, every parade in the Canyon of Heroes is listed along the way on the sidewalk.

Closet subway to your hotel would be 42nd and Broadway which is a very large complex with lines for Broadway (N,Q,W), 7th Ave (1,2,3), Shuttle to Grand Central, 7 Train to Queens and a long connecting corridor to 8th Ave Lines (A,C,E).

It is a longer walk to the 8th Ave E train to get to WTC, the R or W will stop at Cortlandt St, the rear of the downtown train you can enter right into the Occulus.

When you come up with an itinerary I can give you the exact locations of the subway stops and where the exits are if you want.

Anyone 65+ can get a reduced fare, it is slight pain and you have to know where the staff Station Agent booth are (which might be across the street) to get the fare unless you apply in advance for a reduced fare MetroCard.

See for the spelled out details how to do it with case and other info: http://web.mta.info/nyct/fare/rfindex.htm

My .02[emoji3]. How old exactly are the Seniors? The reason I’m asking is my Mom is over 80 and what I think is a slow walking pace is still too fast for her. As mentioned, the subways have steep steps and the escalators are often broken and elevators are few.

Personally I think you have way too much planned to enjoy. Everything takes time. You want a photo of the bull but so does the bus load of tourists who just got there. Lol. Don’t forget rest room breaks! There is a mall next to the 9/11 Memorial. Also Starbucks is good for rest room breaks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My .02[emoji3]. How old exactly are the Seniors? The reason I’m asking is my Mom is over 80 and what I think is a slow walking pace is still too fast for her. As mentioned, the subways have steep steps and the escalators are often broken and elevators are few.

Personally I think you have way too much planned to enjoy. Everything takes time. You want a photo of the bull but so does the bus load of tourists who just got there. Lol. Don’t forget rest room breaks! There is a mall next to the 9/11 Memorial. Also Starbucks is good for rest room breaks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Totally agree! Slow down, cut the list, relax and enjoy NY!

I have only been to New York once - with two teenagers - for two days - and I didn't see half of what you are planning. We stayed in Hell's kitchen, walked fifth ave, saw Times square, saw a little bit of Central Park, saw St. Patrick's Cathedral and walked by Radio City (I think?) and that was it. We had two 'nice' dinners, because my kids are foodies but I can't remember where, this was about five years ago.

The whole place is overwhelming. You may not process everything at the pace you are setting. Just walking around and taking it in was plenty for us, other than Times Square, we saw no "sites" - too much. But maybe we are bumpkins, lol.

(2 in the group are seniors who can get around fairly well but will need rest stops now and then)....We arrive at JFK at 2:30pm on Sunday, Oct. 14....the plan is to get a taxi to our hotel in midtown Manhattan. Our only plan for that evening is to go to Times Square and to walk through Macy's.

After that we will take the subway to the the Staten Island ferry terminal and take the ferry to take pics of Statue of Liberty and back on the ferry again.....After carriage ride, take subway to Grand Central Terminal and from there walk to NY Public library/Bryant Park.

A few thoughts...Times Square doesn't take long to see and it's usually wall to wall people, such that just getting through the crowd is enough to make you want to cuss your momma. By all means, go take a look, but I wouldn't plan on that taking up any real amount of time.

The stock exchange is no longer open for public tours; hasn't been for years. Do you mean you just want to look at the building that houses it?

Someone else asked what you actually plan to see/do in the Bryant Park area, and I would reiterate that, but for all of your trip. Make sure you aren't just putting things on your itinerary because "it's famous and you're supposed to see it when you go to NYC." (i.e. things like the Stock Market bldg) That generally results in a lot of walking around going, "ok, there it is, we've seen it, now what?" Pick a couple things that truly interest you and spend more time there. Example: in the time you spend walking around to look at the federal bldg, the building that houses the stock exchange, and the street sign that says "Wall Street" you could get completely lost in the 9/11 museum.

As for the Statue of Liberty, you can probably get better pictures from the ferry, rather than standing at the base of it, so no need to get off the ferry and back on. And, are you talking about the actual ferry to Staten Island? Because unless I'm mistaken, the SI ferry goes strictly between Staten Island and Manhattan. To get off and see the SOL, you take a different ferry that goes to Liberty Island, not Staten Island. Personally, my suggestion, if you just want pix of the SOL and don't actually want to get off and tour the island/statue, would be a Circle Line boat ride around lower Manhattan. I did one recently (actually did the longer one that goes around the entire island of Manhattan) with my boys and it was great. When you pass Liberty Island the captain gets very close and slows down to enable you to get good pictures. You also get great views of the Manhattan skyline, and the trip is narrated so you know what you're looking at. Consider either the Landmarks Cruise or the SOL Express. https://www.circleline.com/sightseeing-cruises

IF you plan on leaving your luggage with the front desk at the hotel ... I wouldn't. I have never and I will never do that. Just fyi.

Any particular reason? We do this all the time, both when arriving in the morning in Europe when the hotel room won't be available until mid-afternoon, or when checking out of a hotel at 11 but have a flight that doesn't leave until late afternoon or early evening. It's a great alternative to having to tie your schedule to hotel check-in/check-out times or sitting in a hotel lobby or airport for hours and hours.

A few thoughts...Times Square doesn't take long to see and it's usually wall to wall people, such that just getting through the crowd is enough to make you want to cuss your momma. By all means, go take a look, but I wouldn't plan on that taking up any real amount of time.

The stock exchange is no longer open for public tours; hasn't been for years. Do you mean you just want to look at the building that houses it?

Someone else asked what you actually plan to see/do in the Bryant Park area, and I would reiterate that, but for all of your trip. Make sure you aren't just putting things on your itinerary because "it's famous and you're supposed to see it when you go to NYC." (i.e. things like the Stock Market bldg) That generally results in a lot of walking around going, "ok, there it is, we've seen it, now what?" Pick a couple things that truly interest you and spend more time there. Example: in the time you spend walking around to look at the federal bldg, the building that houses the stock exchange, and the street sign that says "Wall Street" you could get completely lost in the 9/11 museum.

As for the Statue of Liberty, you can probably get better pictures from the ferry, rather than standing at the base of it, so no need to get off the ferry and back on. And, are you talking about the actual ferry to Staten Island? Because unless I'm mistaken, the SI ferry goes strictly between Staten Island and Manhattan. To get off and see the SOL, you take a different ferry that goes to Liberty Island, not Staten Island. Personally, my suggestion, if you just want pix of the SOL and don't actually want to get off and tour the island/statue, would be a Circle Line boat ride around lower Manhattan. I did one recently (actually did the longer one that goes around the entire island of Manhattan) with my boys and it was great. When you pass Liberty Island the captain gets very close and slows down to enable you to get good pictures. You also get great views of the Manhattan skyline, and the trip is narrated so you know what you're looking at. Consider either the Landmarks Cruise or the SOL Express. https://www.circleline.com/sightseeing-cruises

Any particular reason? We do this all the time, both when arriving in the morning in Europe when the hotel room won't be available until mid-afternoon, or when checking out of a hotel at 11 but have a flight that doesn't leave until late afternoon or early evening. It's a great alternative to having to tie your schedule to hotel check-in/check-out times or sitting in a hotel lobby or airport for hours and hours.

Living in NJ, I’ve done the SOL/EI several times. We always just stayed on the ferry for the SOL and got off at Ellis Island (love EI). This year, family members wanted to go up to the crown, I’m claustrophobic so decided to get ickets to the pedestal. I had no idea what I was missing, the views of NY/NJ, the museum, the lack of crowds (Sunday 4th of July week). So worth the time.

I also have left bags in storage at hotels many timed with no issues.

Thank you for all the responses. It's exactly what I needed to hear to make me slash my list. I already had a feeling it was too much, but now it's confirmed!

I will concentrate on just a few of the sights.

Thanks again!

Thank you for all the responses. It's exactly what I needed to hear to make me slash my list. I already had a feeling it was too much, but now it's confirmed!

I will concentrate on just a few of the sights.

Thanks again!

Great idea. Go with the flow. Take advantage of your terrific hotel location to take a renewing break. Most of the things you want to see do not have restrictive hours. Part of the fun of NY is not having a fixed time schedule.

Macy's has a huge food court that could suit for your first night "dining". Grand Central Station also has a huge food court. Not fine dining, but might complement your sightseeing objectives.

• 2 weeks later...

As someone who has spent plenty of time in NYC, this looks doable. I agree with not taking subways, it's to complicated for such a short distance (plus stairs). Make sure you get tickets for 9/11 Memorial, it will be much easier to plan the day. SI ferry is a very nice free way to see Statue of liberty, when you get to SI just follow the signs (along with plenty of people) back onto the boat. Once you go back uptown, you can take carriage ride at night after St. Pats which will allow you to take it easy Tuesday. Bryant park is nice but you shouldn't be heart broken if you miss it.

Thoughts?

I live in NY and love the city. I recommend you spend all of Monday downtown. I like the SI ferry plan. In addition to Federal Hall, you should see Trinity Church. Many famous people, including Alexander Hamilton, are buried there. I suggest that you stay downtown,since you are already there. Besides what’s on your list,you can go to Little Italy, Chinatown,Battery Park or South Street Seaport -take your pick.

For Tuesday, forget the library and go to St. Pats,Top of the Rock and take your carriage ride.

This is just my two cents. You’ll have fun no matter what you do. You’re right about the Hoho bus. Definitely, take the subway. Enjoy your trip.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

As someone who has spent plenty of time in NYC, this looks doable. I agree with not taking subways, it's to complicated for such a short distance (plus stairs). Make sure you get tickets for 9/11 Memorial, it will be much easier to plan the day. SI ferry is a very nice free way to see Statue of liberty, when you get to SI just follow the signs (along with plenty of people) back onto the boat. Once you go back uptown, you can take carriage ride at night after St. Pats which will allow you to take it easy Tuesday. Bryant park is nice but you shouldn't be heart broken if you miss it.

The 9/11 memorial is free, the museum needs a ticket.

Hi, 30-year New Yorker here. If I may offer a couple things...

First, I agree with the others who pointed out that the subway plan for your day downtown isn't the best. Not only is it inefficient because of all the walking and stairs -- with four of you, four subway fares will cost about the same as a cab for most of your trips (tourists don't get the senior citizens discount, btw). What I would do that first day is take the subway all the way to Battery Park FIRST, do your Staten Island Ferry/Statue of Liberty trip first, then take cabs for your other stops, going from downtown to uptown.

Second, I would stop day one at the point where you assume it will be 2:30 or 3:00 -- that's a lot of ground to cover in one day, and I think a break at the hotel to put your feet up will be in order. You can easily stop at St. Patrick's and Top of the Rock after your carriage ride; they are almost en route back from Central Park to your hotel.

Third, I recommend a bus trip down Fifth Avenue at some point, just for getting a glimpse of the streetscape.

And finally, don't bother going to Macy's -- it's a dump. Instead, for a vision of NYC shopping institutions, I would duck into Saks, Tiffany and maybe Bergdorf-Goodman, which are all near St. Patrick's.

Bon voyage!

Hi, 30-year New Yorker here. If I may offer a couple things...

First, I agree with the others who pointed out that the subway plan for your day downtown isn't the best. Not only is it inefficient because of all the walking and stairs -- with four of you, four subway fares will cost about the same as a cab for most of your trips (tourists don't get the senior citizens discount, btw). What I would do that first day is take the subway all the way to Battery Park FIRST, do your Staten Island Ferry/Statue of Liberty trip first, then take cabs for your other stops, going from downtown to uptown.

Second, I would stop day one at the point where you assume it will be 2:30 or 3:00 -- that's a lot of ground to cover in one day, and I think a break at the hotel to put your feet up will be in order. You can easily stop at St. Patrick's and Top of the Rock after your carriage ride; they are almost en route back from Central Park to your hotel.

Third, I recommend a bus trip down Fifth Avenue at some point, just for getting a glimpse of the streetscape.

And finally, don't bother going to Macy's -- it's a dump. Instead, for a vision of NYC shopping institutions, I would duck into Saks, Tiffany and maybe Bergdorf-Goodman, which are all near St. Patrick's.

Bon voyage!

I strongly AGREE with the two points I highlighted in red. Do the ferry first; then you'll be back in Manhattan and can manage your time based on your energy and how things work out.

And Macy's isn't anything special any more; it's the downtown remnants of a former institution. You may want to walk through the more ornate lower floor, but the glory days of all of those stores is long past.

If you have the energy you can do your whole plan, but like this post said, start with the high spots you want (especially if it's not good weather). If you have time leftover, go for more. You can sleep on the ship.