Libraries

ehogan

Can anyone provide a list of the HAL ships that still have a proper dedicated library?

We sailed the Noordam last year and the library was still there however its state seemed to indicate it was on its way out. :(We sail her next Jan.

Prinsendam does as does all the S & R class ships, I believe.

It's my understanding that the vista ships (of which the Noordam is 1) have all had the EXEC treatment which basically eliminated most of their libraries.

The Veendam did this summer but I must say that it was not well kept. Books had not been shelved where they were supposed to be and generally you just had to keep looking through. The physical space was there and still used by so many people. We still can't get used to not having that option on some of the other ships and miss it greatly.

Just some information that others have not mentioned. Bruce, cd, gave out a lot information in his coffee chat and book club meetings. He said next year HAL will be adding BBking and other entertainment features to this ship. These venues bring in money, such as alcohol sales. Yes, the library and explorer’s cafe will be moving to the Crow’s Nest like on other ships that have been updated. He mentioned that the Cros’s Nest is just a lot of empty space.

Well, how 'bout that?? You CAN copy and paste a quote from one thread to another.

I copied the above from a post on Redneck Bob's Zaandam review. I replied to that post, suggesting that this subject was worthy of its own thread. And I found this new thread, so I'm adding it.

I was horrified when I read that post. I was hoping that the surviving R-class and S-class ships would remain in their present configuration. I don't know if the quoted statement is true but I'm taking a little 2-day boat ride (can't really call it a cruise :() on Amsterdam on Sunday, and will try to query an officer as to the veracity of the CDs statement. And if it is true, I'll ask if it will be just Zaandam or are they planning to deconstruct ALL of our dear little ships.

Edited by Av8rix

Mr Chew came in as I was beginning this post, and I told him someone had asked about the library on the Oosterdam, and he just laughed and then he said, tell them they destroyed it.

We were on the Oosterdam the month of August. No library. They have a few empty bookcases on the left side just when you go in to the Crow's Nest, labeled for the book exchange, but no books, and hardly any to be exchanged.

On the other side, near the windows at the front of the CN, taking up space & blocking the view, they've got a big wooden structure with some shelves, and a few coffee table books placed here & there on them …

Very disappointing, and a complete waste of space …

Mr Chew came in as I was beginning this post, and I told him someone had asked about the library on the Oosterdam, and he just laughed and then he said, tell them they destroyed it.

We were on the Oosterdam the month of August. No library. They have a few empty bookcases on the left side just when you go in to the Crow's Nest, labeled for the book exchange, but no books, and hardly any to be exchanged.

On the other side, near the windows at the front of the CN, taking up space & blocking the view, they've got a big wooden structure with some shelves, and a few coffee table books placed here & there on them …

Very disappointing, and a complete waste of space …

Just off the Zuiderdam. Same set up. I agree, it is a waste of space FOR THE PASSENGERS ONLY THOUGH. I can see why HAL did it. They turned most of the former Crow's Nest area into a revenue generating area now. The Future Cruise Consultant and the Shore Excursions (EXEC) are up there now where the Explorations Café once was. They seem to get ALOT more business with the new location. Usable space in the Crow's Nest just for "hanging out" has been drastically reduced. The very large table style computer screens are really only suitable for their intended purpose, which is to scan the world ala Google Maps style. They really don't work for anything else like card playing, board games etc. I have to admit tho...it was fun showing our newly met friends THE ACTUAL STREET we live on and them doing the same. Also, the map screens came in handy when we had to change piers in NYC because of damage to the original pier. We used the screens to see where we would actually be docking and realized we would still sail past Lady Liberty, which was a relief. The "book exchange" shelves on the port side as you entered had a few books in them but it seemed that they were all in a foreign language. The books on the other side were mostly travel books etc. The two big screens that are now placed front and center in the space do show some interesting information i.e. engine room stats, water temp, position etc. but they further reduce the previously available space for "hanging out". The "Captains Corner" area on the port side was filled with rows and rows of folding chairs and the only events that were held there that I know of were pseudo trivia events designed to whet your appetite for other cruises. The whole Crow's Nest area is still a quiet place to grab a chair and watch the world go by...IF you get there early. With all the reduced space just for "hanging out", seats go early, VERY EARLY. Bottom line: I can see where it works good for HAL but not so much for the people who liked it as it was before.

Well, how 'bout that?? You CAN copy and paste a quote from one thread to another.

I copied the above from a post on Redneck Bob's Zaandam review. I replied to that post, suggesting that this subject was worthy of its own thread. And I found this new thread, so I'm adding it.

I was horrified when I read that post. I was hoping that the surviving R-class and S-class ships would remain in their present configuration. I don't know if the quoted statement is true but I'm taking a little 2-day boat ride (can't really call it a cruise :() on Amsterdam on Sunday, and will try to query an officer as to the veracity of the CDs statement. And if it is true, I'll ask if it will be just Zaandam or are they planning to deconstruct ALL of our dear little ships.

If you don't mind sharing anything you can find out, I would really appreciate it.

We're scheduled to be on the Zaandam in 2020 and no library would a be huge disappointment with our itinerary :( and need to be planned for.

Edited by kazu

Can anyone provide a list of the HAL ships that still have a proper dedicated library?

That would be a nice thing for someone to do. I can't keep all the "this" class and "that" class ships straight, and their various exceptions.

Is there someone who can tell me if the Eurodam still has a library?

That would be a nice thing for someone to do. I can't keep all the "this" class and "that" class ships straight, and their various exceptions.

Is there someone who can tell me if the Eurodam still has a library?

Eurodam is a Signature Class ship. So, the pickings will be very meagre IMO.

We sailed the Noordam last year and the library was still there however its state seemed to indicate it was on its way out. :(We sail her next Jan.

Ok, here's my best go at it. Remember there are no librarians in any library.

Libraries:

Prinsendam - yes - 2 rooms - wonderful

Zaandam - yes (might be eliminated? Unsure)

Maasdam - yes

Rotterdam - yes - pretty decent.

Amsterdam - yes

Noordam - yes, according to reports.

Volendam - yes

Veendam - yes

the rest of the ships have had/due to have the Exec treatment which leaves you with a few travel books and exchange books that passengers do. No library.

I am sure I will be corrected if I am in error, but I think the list is somewhat accurate :)

If you don't mind sharing anything you can find out, I would really appreciate it.

You can count on it! Providing I can corral an officer on Amsterdam since I'm just doing a little hop-on/hop-off to get a couple of days so I can be certain of nailing my fourth star on my "real" cruise the following week. And that one is on a Signature sister so won't be much help there getting substantive info on plans for the little ones. But rest assured that I'll do my best to try.