SD Caribbean updates?

cabosal

A post on Celebrity's board said that they were informed that their October 28 sailing had reinstated St. Thomas to their cruise, due to the progress the island is making. It had been cancelled after the hurricane. So hopefully things throughout the Caribbean are progressing faster than expected

And before I get a bashing, yes, for the record, I'm one of those few SeaDream fans, that also likes the huge ships. :rolleyes:

A post on Celebrity's board said that they were informed that their October 28 sailing had reinstated St. Thomas to their cruise, due to the progress the island is making. It had been cancelled after the hurricane. So hopefully things throughout the Caribbean are progressing faster than expected

And before I get a bashing, yes, for the record, I'm one of those few SeaDream fans, that also likes the huge ships. :rolleyes:

Hey, you just like being on the ocean, nothing wrong with that :-) I've been on Oasis and loved it, but I'm not hard to please and I'm okay with being alone or with a crowd of people, so I get it.

I read that too and I'm so happy to hear that progress is moving faster than expected, which is fantastic!

Mrs_Tiki so glad to hear that you've gotten some information and that you guys will still be able to go and visit all of the islands.

It would be wonderful if our Jan 4 sailing from St. Thomas is still on. Of course, I would expect that the itinerary might be changed a bit since one stop was Antigua/Barbuda. The challenge, though, would be finding a place to stay for four nights before sailing. An article in today's New York Times on-line discussed the dire situation in the USVI. They were already facing economic disaster before the storms hit.

SD just called to let us know that Nov 19 cruise will be round-trip from Antigua rather than St. Martin. Same ports of call. We feel fortunate that we should be able to easily change our tickets to fly there direct 2 days prior to the cruise. Now if we can just find a place to stay, we'll be set!

Good news. I am not seeing a round trip from Antigua, nor St Martin, on 11/19 on their web site. And I am sure that this would be SDI because SD II isn't scheduled into San Juan until after that date. Perhaps I am missing something, but nevertheless, good news.

I guess that after the conference call of yesterday, they are finalizing their plans for an announcement on Monday.

I just did a little checking on other cruise lines and found this posting about San Juan Cruises. While most of the focus is on September and October bookings, it seems to give a clue as to the industry issues with the storms... https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/25/cruises-out-of-san-juan-puerto-rico-in-flux-in-wake-of-maria.html. Additionally, on Windstar's board, it seems that Windstar still plans on making its 11/25 San Juan to San Juan trip.

Good news. I am not seeing a round trip from Antigua, nor St Martin, on 11/19 on their web site. And I am sure that this would be SDI because SD II isn't scheduled into San Juan until after that date. Perhaps I am missing something, but nevertheless, good news.

I guess that after the conference call of yesterday, they are finalizing their plans for an announcement on Monday.

Sorry, I had the date wrong. Sailing date is November 20 on SeaDream 1. (Our travel was to have commenced on Nov 19 with an overnight on St. Martin.). Mea culpa!

SD website is still showing sailing in and out of Marigot.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sorry, I had the date wrong. Sailing date is November 20 on SeaDream 1. (Our travel was to have commenced on Nov 19 with an overnight on St. Martin.). Mea culpa!

Forums

No problem at all. I figured it was something like that. We are glad that you at least have some word. We are still waiting for info on the TA into San Juan. We are supposed to arrive in San Juan on SDII on 11/21

No problem at all. I figured it was something like that. We are glad that you at least have some word. We are still waiting for info on the TA into San Juan. We are supposed to arrive in San Juan on SDII on 11/21

Hello - I just received an email (literally 14 mins ago) stating that the Nov 2017 SDII TA from Lisbon to San Juan is staying 'as scheduled'. I am a bit surprised about the San Juan portion - but let's see how this all turns out. I certainly hope and pray (independent of the cruise) that Puerto Rico gets back on their feet soon.

-Tushar

Hello - I just received an email (literally 14 mins ago) stating that the Nov 2017 SDII TA from Lisbon to San Juan is staying 'as scheduled'. I am a bit surprised about the San Juan portion - but let's see how this all turns out. I certainly hope and pray (independent of the cruise) that Puerto Rico gets back on their feet soon.

Yep.. we got one also, and here is what it said...

We wanted to take this opportunity to contact you and let you know that we will operate your voyage as scheduled. We have received feedback from many of our operators in the Caribbean and they are reporting, first-hand, that many of the islands are beginning to return to a more normal state of operation.

We are excited to welcome you aboard SeaDream, and to delivering the award-winning experience you are looking forward to. We anticipate that any further changes would be minor, if even required, and those changes would be made only to ensure we are delivering the experience you are expecting. They would not affect your embarkation port.

Should you have any questions, please contact your Travel Professional or SeaDream Yacht Club for assistance.

We are looking forward to welcoming you aboard SeaDream Yacht Club.

Possible hinting that our disembarkation port might change, but I'd guess that is a decision that might be made en-route if things clog up in San Juan. Good news, and we are also hoping that Puerto Rico and the other impacted islands recover quickly. People are suffering and in need of many things, including tourist $'s

Yep.. we got one also, and here is what it said...

We wanted to take this opportunity to contact you and let you know that we will operate your voyage as scheduled. We have received feedback from many of our operators in the Caribbean and they are reporting, first-hand, that many of the islands are beginning to return to a more normal state of operation.

We are excited to welcome you aboard SeaDream, and to delivering the award-winning experience you are looking forward to. We anticipate that any further changes would be minor, if even required, and those changes would be made only to ensure we are delivering the experience you are expecting. They would not affect your embarkation port.

Should you have any questions, please contact your Travel Professional or SeaDream Yacht Club for assistance.

We are looking forward to welcoming you aboard SeaDream Yacht Club.

Possible hinting that our disembarkation port might change, but I'd guess that is a decision that might be made en-route if things clog up in San Juan. Good news, and we are also hoping that Puerto Rico and the other impacted islands recover quickly. People are suffering and in need of many things, including tourist $'s

We are also on the SD2 crossing and got the same email. And Marigot is the stop before San Juan! I’m more concerned about the 4 day follow on (we’re staying aboard) which has St John, St Barths and Jost on the itinerary — just don’t see that happening! Also, American Airlines travel advisory for SJU, STT, and St Croix says if you are booked from Sep 5 to April 2nd (:o) 2018 and can travel Sep 23 2017 through Sep 30 2018 (:o) you may be able to change without penalty. That does not sound encouraging...... We leave for Portugal on 27 Oct so certainly hope to have more details soon!

Vandrefalk

Also, American Airlines travel advisory for SJU, STT, and St Croix says if you are booked from Sep 5 to April 2nd (:o) 2018 and can travel Sep 23 2017 through Sep 30 2018 (:o) you may be able to change without penalty.

American told me that the "without penalty" applies only if you are flying the same itinerary. If you are going to or from a different island, regular cancellation penalties apply.

I called Seadream today about our January 18 cruise. We will now be embarking and disembarking in Antigua. same itinerary according to Seadream. American changed my flights without penalty. I only had to pay $44 more in taxes. The hotels in Antigua are very expensive and a lot of them want 3 night minimum.

We still have a little while until final payment, not sure we will go yet.

It would be wonderful if our Jan 4 sailing from St. Thomas is still on. Of course, I would expect that the itinerary might be changed a bit since one stop was Antigua/Barbuda. The challenge, though, would be finding a place to stay for four nights before sailing. An article in today's New York Times on-line discussed the dire situation in the USVI. They were already facing economic disaster before the storms hit.

We are on this voyage as well! My hubby just had a "Sunday meeting" with me. He wants to cancel. No place to stay pre-night in ST Thomas, and he doesn't want to "see devestation" regardless of how the islands depend on us. He'd rather do a mission trip or something else for the islands.

We are on this voyage as well! My hubby just had a "Sunday meeting" with me. He wants to cancel. No place to stay pre-night in ST Thomas, and he doesn't want to "see devestation" regardless of how the islands depend on us. He'd rather do a mission trip or something else for the islands.

Exactly why we canceled our Feb 3rd trip.

We too are on the January 18 cruise but haven't heard yet about port change. I have, however, put flights in and out of Antigua "on hold" figuring that's going to be the new embarkation point. Also, the hotels (per TripAdvisor) seem reasonably $$ and open to one night stays. We will probably stay at Trade Winds again. I'm mostly concerned about changes to the rest of our itinerary. I know What SD has said in this regards, but...???

We are also scheduled on the January 18 SDI sailing--all the updates here have been very helpful. We were excited to see the 9 day itinerary offered and booked shortly after the schedule was released. As final payment approaches, we've been debating the right decision--we have not heard from Seadream yet, but I've been looking at Antigua options since the first reports here.

This will be our third Seadream sailing, and we love it--but equally recognize there's a long recovery ahead for many of the islands. The focus of this itinerary on the BVI and St. Martin/St. Barts/Anguilla makes it especially tough.

I'll report back after we talk with our travel agent tomorrow.

Update--We did receive the confirmation from Seadream for the Antigua re-basing. United was helpful on the flight change--waived the change fee and the fare difference was about $45/ticket. With that, we locked in new flights and look forward to revisiting Antigua! Checked on two small hotels at English Harbor, the Admiral's Inn and the Copper and Lumber Store Inn--decided on the Copper and Lumber Store. We're now booked and set for the trip, and will look forward to reports from the early sailings in November and December on what to expect on the islands impacted by the hurricanes.

We are sticking with the Jan 4 sailing out of St. Thomas. American let us keep our New Year's Eve flight to Miami and change the continuation on to STT to the morning of the sailing. No extra charge. That resolves the "no place to stay" issue. I understand not wanting to see the devastation, but we couldn't turn our backs on the people.

We are on the January 4 St. Martin to St. Martin, now Antigua to Antigua. With a lot of rearranging of flights we are able to go. We're going but it still has stops on islands that have been destroyed. I'm not sure how the islands will be but I'm sure our time on the ship will be great as usual.

Looks like Seadream has updated our January 18 itinerary on their website! Still wonder how we’re stopping at some.

Anybody know which port SeaDream will use? We have embarked from St John before but it appears many people will be staying nr English Harbor which seems pretty far away. Does SD go out of English Harbor?