Smartphone Use with NCL Wifi

BALCONETTE

I've just crawled out from under a rock and now have a smartphone (iPhone). :rolleyes: One of my perks is free internet. How do I connect to the ship's wifi without getting charged a gazillion dollars by AT&T? Would it be the same process if I used the phone in ports where free wifi is available?

Put your phone in airplane mode. Then, turn your Wi-Fi back on. Same anytime you want Wi-Fi only. You could take the SIM out of the phone to be absolutely positive the phone couldn't connect to AT&T, but that's not necessary.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I've just crawled out from under a rock and now have a smartphone (iPhone). :rolleyes: One of my perks is free internet. How do I connect to the ship's wifi without getting charged a gazillion dollars by AT&T? Would it be the same process if I used the phone in ports where free wifi is available?

Put your phone in Airplane mode and then turn on WiFi. This should prevent cellular charges.

Before you leave home, make sure you enable WiFi calling. Contact your cell provider if you need help. WiFi calling will enable all cell functions (voice calls, text messages) over a WiFi connection.

In addition to doing as described in the earlier replies, you have to go to the internet cafe on board as soon as possible, and ask the internet manager on board set up your free account. If you just try to connect to the ships wifi without doing this, you will be charged the regular NCL fees for the use (and that is not cheap....).

Some bad advice above.

IF they connect to ships wifi, and then log into the internet side, they will NOT be charged if they have free internet as part of their package/promo.

MEANWHILE - as others have said, turn on Airplane mode, then back to wifi. You then log into ships wifi and internet and either have a certain amount of minutes or unlimited.

To double make sure you do not accidently get data roaming, there is a place in your SETTINGS to turn off DATA ROAMING.

So how do you know when your minutes are up, say if you get 250 free minutes? Can you see how many you have left at any time?

Yes, when you are logged in, you can call up a summary of your account that shows a history all of your logins and how many minutes you have left. This is also displayed when you log off.

So how do you know when your minutes are up, say if you get 250 free minutes? Can you see how many you have left at any time?

You MUST log in AND out of ships wifi each time or you will burn up your minutes in the blink of an eye

As mentioned only use wifi which will let you view most websites ...send IMessage (which use data btw so part of your wifi on ship) or texts( which go through your phone carrier and will cost .05 to.50 per but will not burn your ships wifi as long as you are logged out ). But always log in and then out even if sending one message. If you expect a quick response you can probably stay logged in but If it takes them 20 minutes to respond and you didn't log out you are sol and wasted 20 minutes. Better to just log back in a few hours later to see response. Honestly if it really important you just call them.

If you think you want to make a phone call you will be subject to your carriers rates as this DOES NOT go thru wifi

However....you can make a wifi call or a FaceTime etc call using the ships wifi and you will not be subject to your carriers per minute rate while on the ship

My suggestion.....learn all you can about iPhones as they are a totally different animal from that basic phone we all used to own

Also do not expect to make and receive calls without paying$$$$ so limit calls to wifi or FaceTime

Additionally....this info is for ship use not ports...ports will be easier but call your carrier for details

Now...this is what I do on the ship....I turn my phone off and put it in the safe and only take it into port with me because I'm not stupid and will not go into port without a cell.

I also invested in a wifi only iPad mini

I always take the free wifi perk

I log in 3x a day to check texts and make wifi or FaceTime calls to whatever kid left behind and I know they will get it because the phones never leave their hands

I log OUT This is very important

My method costs me zero dollars on the ship

I also get the APPROPRIATE calling plan from my carrier Verizon for use when on land

The key word is appropriate so I pay as little as possible should I actually need to call someone from the beach in say Cozumel or st kitts.

Btw Mexico rates with Verizon are totally different. I.e. ...Cheaper ....than individual island in the Carib rates

It takes several calls to your carrier to figure this out as well as getting used to your iPhone

Fwiw I was disturbed by this when I fist got the iPhone and we had a cruise coming up...

I truly would prefer a basic phone with a basic international calling plan and my iPad mini for cruising this way no surprise charges.

Also as a new iPhone user remember texts are green and go thru your phone number and will have a small fee attached. This fee is from your phone carrier. You do not need ships wifi to send texts. If you want to send many texts while on the ship remember it does not count as unlimited texts on a ship.

iMessages are blue and only go from iPhone to iPhone. They use data....be it at home or on a ship...the difference is the data they use at home is included in your monthly gig allowance. The data they use on the ship goes thru ships wifi. Which is free is taken as a perk.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by maggie cruises

OP, first of help - get to know your AT&T Int'l Help/Support Desk, always check with them about the latest as they can review your plans, options & extras, etc. before your upcoming cruise.

Get comfortable, actually, become very familiar with how your iPhone works, explore the various settings & learn to to turn OFF and turn on, different sub-options, etc. Here is an excellent tutorial guide that explain almost all of the features (there are newer "tricks" for iPhone 8's ... but, this should suffice as most are covered by the OS or software, iOS 10.x)

https://www.imore.com/iphone-users-guide

It will take you time to discover all the rocks and hidden sandstone, figure out what is iCloud, etc. - but, it is going to be worth your while & save $$$ for your wallet, especially for traveling out of your home area (Bahamas/Caribbeans are different than going to & using your smartphone & plan in Canada or Mexico)

For everyone else - this guide below - has a very good overview about global or international data coverage, by major U.S. providers. Cruise ship coverage is different and mostly EXCLUDED or under the roaming, it can be almost free to being "very costly"

https://www.androidcentral.com/international-roaming

Some bad advice above.

IF they connect to ships wifi, and then log into the internet side, they will NOT be charged if they have free internet as part of their package/promo.

I am sorry, I was under the wrong impression that with a promo with some free internet you had to do the same as when you have free minutes through your Latitude status (set up the account with the internet manager). Sorry about the confusion and misunderstanding on my part.

Our first time sailing with NCL in February. Do they have a social media package? I’m not familiar w what they have and I am used to being able to Facebook message w my 13 yr old daughter at home maybe once a day. What will be my best option for this? I’m a bit nervous after reading this thread but have used my phone on CCL for WiFi with no issue. Won’t it be the same as far as connecting and avoiding carrier charges? TIA

OP, first of help - get to know your AT&T Int'l Help/Support Desk, always check with them about the latest as they can review your plans, options & extras, etc. before your upcoming cruise.

Get comfortable, actually, become very familiar with how your iPhone works, explore the various settings & learn to to turn OFF and turn on, different sub-options, etc. Here is an excellent tutorial guide that explain almost all of the features (there are newer "tricks" for iPhone 8's ... but, this should suffice as most are covered by the OS or software, iOS 10.x)

https://www.imore.com/iphone-users-guide

The link is very helpful. Thanks!

The link is very helpful. Thanks!
Great, read a little each time & teach/learn it yourself ... nothing to panic or worry about. Keep in mind the newer/newest generation of smartphone today used by many "mature" adults are far, far more powerful than the first generation of IBM Personal Computer/XT introduced in the early 1980's and multi-tasking is a given - wow, that was just/a little over 30 years ago - technology has come a long way for the average cruisers.

Still got a drawer full of old Blackberry, Motorola Q's with WYSWYG keyboard and Startac - they still work, if I only wanted to do basic calling & texting, etc. LOL.

Kindle is always good to have for reading eBooks but otherwise. It's just like sailing CCL and changing the settings to avoid roaming data, etc. - you should be fine. If your free WiFi minutes on the ship are limited (as it should) - just remember to login and logout, ship's Internet Cafe manager is usually very good & friendly to help configure, review & coach anyone needing a simple lesson to avoid surprises. If you honestly made a boo-boo, see them & explain & I've seen credits given to reverse "charges" for accidental staying on, etc.

As for the latest free NCL App - iConcierge for iOS & Android, it has been updated again (early Oct & Sept 2017) with "added functionality" ... whatever that is (will find out soon, onboard, myself) - anyone else with the App should download & install it (unless set to auto-update).

Put your phone in Airplane mode and then turn on WiFi. This should prevent cellular charges.

Before you leave home, make sure you enable WiFi calling. Contact your cell provider if you need help. WiFi calling will enable all cell functions (voice calls, text messages) over a WiFi connection.

I have WiFi calling enabled on my S7, and have used it on other ships (Celebrity and Royal). I had no luck last month on the Escape - it's like they were either blocking that aspect of phones or something else was going on.

When you have unlimited WiFi, and can't use it for calls, that's kind of aggravation - no to mention that there were times on the cruise where "regular" cell calls would not go through.

I have found it kind of hit/miss on all ships, with the exception of the Allure where there was lots of bandwidth and everything just worked!

Tom