Crippled MSC Opera limps back to Southampton!

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 11:39 AM.
Canada
4,934 Posts
Joined Feb 2005
I feel terrible for all those involved in this mess. Seems like MSC did a deplorable job of treating its passengers both those on the ship and those who were about to travel.

Makes me seriously consider if I would cruise with them again.

Keep fighting for fair and equitable compensation.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Monicajay

HAL Ryndam 1998
Disney Wonder 2003
CC Victory 2005
NCL Sun 2006
NCL Dawn 2007
Costa Mediterranea 2008
MSC Orchestra Feb 28th/2009 or is it no it's
Rhapsody of the Seas- Australia Dec. 1st 2009
MSC Poesia Feb 27/2011
NCL Star Mar 4/2012
Jewel of the Seas Oct 28/2012 25th Anniversary- Saying " I do " all over again
MSC Poesia Mar 2/2013 First time back on the same ship
Celebrity Summit Mar 1/2014 First time leaving from San Juan
Celebrity Summit Feb 28/2015
Celebrity Reflection Feb 27/2016
Nevada
1 Posts
Joined May 2011
Originally posted by adamsommer
"Lack of communication" is a great summary of MSC.

I signed the paper accepting another cruise and a 30% voucher towards a future cruise, yet have heard nothing about the voucher. I hope they don't forget about this.....at the very least they better give us the voucher that we were promised when we signed the form accepting it as compensation along with a new cruise (that is a contract/legal obligation, correct?)...

I am also hoping for at least a 40% refund of our cruise fare, as we paid for a 10 day cruise and only got 6 days.

If anyone hears anything from MSC please let me know!
Hey Adam Send me your E-mail and phone#s. I'm Bob the guy who set up the Rome excursion for us.How is Jack doing? I was one of the 60 or so people who took the replacement trip to the Med(6 days instead of 10)

I contacted Traveocity and they want me to send them a letter re what happened,I'll do that.They seemed to think we got replacement value with the Med trip and a 30% credit on another trip. NOT--we were under the gun to do something!
Also, can you get me info on who your TA talked to at MSC Ft Lauderdale? I tried calling them 3 times this Am but coudn't get thre!.Just another instance of how screwed up they are in communications! Contact me @[email protected] or call me at 503-580-1688
melbourne victoria australia
320 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
We have finally had some communication with the Managing Director of MSC Australia. Although the matter is far from settled at least we have someone with a voice at last.

To date we have been offered 30% off another cruise, that is rather a slap in the face considering the number of 2 for the price of 1 deals they offer. When I went to school that calculated at 50% off.

It has not changed my view that we thoroughly enjoyed the cruises of our choice in the past and I would happily cruise with them again if my circumstances allowed it. The shorter cruise that we were offered would never have been our choice, in fact it was the last 3 days of one cruise followed by a wild 3 day weekend of German revellers.

Through CC roll calls I befriended quite a few people, my big regret is that we never got to meet face to face. Hopefully one day we can set that matter right. Adam, we certainly were in touch, I do hope your little one was not too affected by all the drama. Bob, I have taken the liberty to contact you direct.

I will keep you all informed of any new development.

Cheers, Judy
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Texas
1 Posts
Joined May 2011
Add me to your correspondence, Judy especially if anyone receives word from the company. My family was on the Opera May 7th as well. We have cruised more than 15 times with 4 different companies, and we will NEVER sail with MSC again. The treatment of the passengers was more than deplorable. We heard nothing but snarky comments from other passengers before the ship even broke down about how they thought this was their worst cruise ever, so you know it only got worse from there.

At disembarkation, we were told we would receive a free cruise with MSC for sailing within the next year, and of course we were given no paperwork to that effect, but I'm interested to hear you say that you are only being given 30% off your next cruise....hmmm. We were also told that all charges would be deducted from our stateroom account for the entire cruise unless you purchased something from the retail stores. All charges including spa, bar, excursions, service fees, etc would be waived. We only purchased a few drinks and had shipboard credit. We were surprised when we received a charge on our credit for $200, so we are concerned. I've written MSC about this matter and also a separate letter asking for a full refund. Of course, we've heard nothing even though we received an auto-response promising a response within 14 days. *holding my breath*

We contacted our travel agent, Vacations to Go about the refund and the $200 credit card charge. They say their hands are tied and we must take it up with MSC directly. They can't even tell us what the $200 charges are even for. I'm pretty disappointed in them. We've faithfully used them for our last four cruises.

Our biggest concern, when asking for the refund, was that when MSC was given a choice between passenger safety and cost, they chose the least cost possible. They made very poor decisions especially when deciding to travel over 900 miles on one working engine when Sweden was only 90 miles away (we had our GPS on board). Surprise, that engine failed, then the ship listed all day to within 1 mile of the Gotland Islands. We saw rocks sticking up out of the water! God forbid that it could have gotten much worse very quickly.

Then think about what a sham the disembarkation was sitting on board in the lobby for 5-6 hours only to get to the airport to stand in line for 5 hours (with NO MSC rep on site) only to sleep on the floor of the airport waiting for a charter plane that never showed up until the next day.

Captain? What Captain? Was anyone even running this ship?

Just a complete and utter mess all around. We travel all the time, and I have never felt like I was put in harms way like I did with MSC. I will not jeopardize my family again with this cruise company, and I encourage all others to do the same.

Feel free to contact me if you'd like more details.

Anne
anne at fab-studio dot com
115 Posts
Joined Apr 2007
Originally posted by robert9036
Hey Adam Send me your E-mail and phone#s. I'm Bob the guy who set up the Rome excursion for us.How is Jack doing? I was one of the 60 or so people who took the replacement trip to the Med(6 days instead of 10)

I contacted Traveocity and they want me to send them a letter re what happened,I'll do that.They seemed to think we got replacement value with the Med trip and a 30% credit on another trip. NOT--we were under the gun to do something!
Also, can you get me info on who your TA talked to at MSC Ft Lauderdale? I tried calling them 3 times this Am but coudn't get thre!.Just another instance of how screwed up they are in communications! Contact me @[email protected] or call me at 503-580-1688
Bob - sent an email. In case its lost, I am at [email protected]

All the best,

Adam
541 Posts
Joined Dec 2008
Originally posted by the_pilots_wife
Add me to your correspondence, Judy especially if anyone receives word from the company. My family was on the Opera May 7th as well. We have cruised more than 15 times with 4 different companies, and we will NEVER sail with MSC again. The treatment of the passengers was more than deplorable. We heard nothing but snarky comments from other passengers before the ship even broke down about how they thought this was their worst cruise ever, so you know it only got worse from there.

At disembarkation, we were told we would receive a free cruise with MSC for sailing within the next year, and of course we were given no paperwork to that effect, but I'm interested to hear you say that you are only being given 30% off your next cruise....hmmm. We were also told that all charges would be deducted from our stateroom account for the entire cruise unless you purchased something from the retail stores. All charges including spa, bar, excursions, service fees, etc would be waived. We only purchased a few drinks and had shipboard credit. We were surprised when we received a charge on our credit for $200, so we are concerned. I've written MSC about this matter and also a separate letter asking for a full refund. Of course, we've heard nothing even though we received an auto-response promising a response within 14 days. *holding my breath*

We contacted our travel agent, Vacations to Go about the refund and the $200 credit card charge. They say their hands are tied and we must take it up with MSC directly. They can't even tell us what the $200 charges are even for. I'm pretty disappointed in them. We've faithfully used them for our last four cruises.

Our biggest concern, when asking for the refund, was that when MSC was given a choice between passenger safety and cost, they chose the least cost possible. They made very poor decisions especially when deciding to travel over 900 miles on one working engine when Sweden was only 90 miles away (we had our GPS on board). Surprise, that engine failed, then the ship listed all day to within 1 mile of the Gotland Islands. We saw rocks sticking up out of the water! God forbid that it could have gotten much worse very quickly.

Then think about what a sham the disembarkation was sitting on board in the lobby for 5-6 hours only to get to the airport to stand in line for 5 hours (with NO MSC rep on site) only to sleep on the floor of the airport waiting for a charter plane that never showed up until the next day.

Captain? What Captain? Was anyone even running this ship?

Just a complete and utter mess all around. We travel all the time, and I have never felt like I was put in harms way like I did with MSC. I will not jeopardize my family again with this cruise company, and I encourage all others to do the same.

Feel free to contact me if you'd like more details.

Anne
anne at fab-studio dot com
Sorry to hear of your bad customer service experience, those considering a cruise with MSC would be wise to heed yours and other reviewers advice.

In comparison, Carnival got absolute raves of approval for the way they handled the Splendor fire/situation.
1,028 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
Those who paid for their cruise with credit cards should consider making a demand for refund from the credit card company. I once had a problem with MSC and I received a partial refund from Mastercard after demonstrating that I was not given the goods/services for which I had contracted. I believe there is a 90 day time limit to make such a claim so those who do choose this option should not delay.