What About the Crew on the Triumph?

4x4bob

We have all read the that the passengers on the Triumph are being offered a generous package by Carnival.

However, I wonder what about the crew. I have a feeling that they will not be getting any tips this trip.

Yet, I am sure that they are working almost 24 hours to make it easier for the passengers. And, since I have been on several cruises that went with out a problem and I still saw passengers giving the crew a hard time, I am willing to bet that they are really getting a lot of guff from unhappy passengers who have no one else to complain at right now.

I wonder if Carnival is offering them any type of compensation for the tip loss?

Bob

I've been wondering the same thing. By the sound of it, the crew has gone above and beyond and they deserve to be generously rewarded. Not only should CCL pay them the auto-gratuities that they would have earned if they hadn't been refunded to the passengers, but they should receive generous bonuses.

Also, what will happen to the crew during the time the Triumph is being repaired? Will they be reassigned to other ships? Compensated for lost wages? Or are they SOL?

I agree a bonus of some sort. It appears by all news reports the crew was top notch and may just keep people going to carnival for cruising!

Cruise ship crews are always awesome in my opinion and i hope the passengers and Carnival recognize them. Im sure the stories of just how wonderful they were will all come out in the next day or two..

Judging by the way Carnival has handled things so far, I doubt that the crew will receive anything at all.

They will probably be expected to work the next AM after the ship arrives in Alabama.

It just surprises me about all of the assumptions that are made without any basis in fact. I seriously doubt that they will not recognize the crew for their efforts. I think Carnival handled a horrible situation the best that they could under extremely difficult situation and, hopefully, they will reward their crew for their above and beyond efforts.

If I was on the ship, I would be sure to leave the crew a handsome tip whether it was required or not.

If the passengers get $500 each, the crew deserve $1,000 each.

I hope Carnival will surprise me this time and actually cough up something for these unsung heros who once again are their only saving grace in this whole fiasco.

Judging by the way Carnival has handled things so far, I doubt that the crew will receive anything at all.

They will probably be expected to work the next AM after the ship arrives in Alabama.

You mean top-notch and above and beyond what anyone would expect? You mean handling the situation with professionalism? Carnival has done more than probably any other cruise line would do in the same situation. I hope, however, that this never has to be proven.

Carnival already stated that the crew would be taken care of. Those that had contracts due to expire soon will start vacation early, and their contracts will remain as they were. Sme of the crew on the Triumph will remain on the ships as it gets fixed as needed. Other crew members will be assigned to other ships. I am quite sure they will receive their pay for this cruise as well. Hey did what they were supposed to do, keep the passengers as safes possible during a very unfortunate incident.

I saw on a news channel, that the crew were on their way to hotels in Mobile. They interviewed the managers of both hotels. The hotels were going above & beyond their usual service and setting up breakfast buffets and such for them so they could eat and go to bed.

It sounds like every interview I hear, the passengers are praising the crew, Carnival should absolutely compensate the crew nicely for keeping the passengers their first priority! They were in the same situation, but they had to work their tails off doing tasks they never should have had to do. Carnival, reward them well!!!!

If the passengers get $500 each, the crew deserve $1,000 each.

I hope Carnival will surprise me this time and actually cough up something for these unsung heroes who once again are their only saving grace in this whole fiasco.

So true!

I said it 3 days ago that I was sure the crew was doing everything they could to better the situation. I am glad to see they are getting some recognition. And I hope Carnival will reward them generously!

The crew deserve to be well taken care of. Over and over I heard pax praise them. They are the ones who made a difference for the pax.

Agree with you totally!

The powers-to-be within Carnival put their reputation in a pitiful place. And they rely on those lowly paid crew to save the day. Those man and women are the ones the passengers praise. Not those CXO's, CYO's.

Carnival said that they refunded passengers for their trip including gratuities, so do you think that Carnival is going to pay those gratuities to the crew, or will this dirty little secret just get swept under the rug! I hope not as the crew were the ones that saved Carnival's butt in this incident as the people coming off the ship only had nothing but praise for the crew and the outstanding job they did. I'm sure Carnival won't be publicizing the pay they give their crew and this will fade away and the crew will be the one's getting screwed by Carnival!:mad:

John said crew whose contract is almost up will be sent home with pay

Crew who has alot left on there contract will be sent to another ship

Although it sounds good in theory (sending the crew home with pay) keep in mind that the crews take home pay is dependent on tips, so the portion given by the cruise ship to end out their contract is not what they are accustomed too. So although it might sound good, it is probably bitter sweet and financially devistating to the crew member’s going home to see their families early without the money they had hoped too. That being said, Great job crew for the way you handled that situatiion, you deserve a bonus!

Carnival said that they refunded passengers for their trip including gratuities, so do you think that Carnival is going to pay those gratuities to the crew, or will this dirty little secret just get swept under the rug! I hope not as the crew were the ones that saved Carnival's butt in this incident as the people coming off the ship only had nothing but praise for the crew and the outstanding job they did. I'm sure Carnival won't be publicizing the pay they give their crew and this will fade away and the crew will be the one's getting screwed by Carnival!:mad:

Since most companies do not "toot their own horns", yes,pun intended, the additional remuneration will be in one of the many line items presented on the cost side. There may be some mention in the industry publications but anything of substance will be presented in the general media in one or two lines, devoid of the context in which it was presented. Case in point is our local tv stations basically parroted what ever copy they received from their subscribed sources. Real journalists of the past are basically gone, with the exception of a handful, because those that now 'report' are graded by their editors on how much news they make. Joe Friday, you may have to look him up, had a quote in every episode, "Just the facts ma'am." :D What a novel idea.

Apparently CNN has received some criticism for their 'reporting'. I wouldn't know. I haven't watched them for a very long time. Their highpoint was the First Gulf War and for a very good reason. Nuff said about that.

Keep an eye out for that Quarterly report. Dry reading but like Prego, "It's in there." :)

Archived