Vancouver Airport to Whistler

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 01:32 AM.
Ontario, Canada
139 Posts
Joined Jan 2011
We are sailing from Vancouver to Los Angeles September 25th. We arrive in Vancouver 8:50 a.m. on September 23rd and booked 2 nights in Whistler. What would be easier taking a shuttle or renting a car? We don't want to waste too much time so I prefer to leave from Vancouver Airport and go directly to Whistler and then From Whistler to the Cruise options. Not sure what shuttle services or car rental agencies offer this option. Your suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.
YVR & PDX
3,830 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
Renting a car would be more flexible and almost certainly cheaper - public parking isn't too bad up in Whistler even if you don't have a hotel reso with it included. Shuttles run $64pp one-way from YVR, $55pp from Whistler back to downtown Vancouver. Costco car rentals can be about $30 a day for a modest car with decent gas mileage - and you'll get to stop whenever and wherever you want to in both directions. Waterfalls, much better views than from Whistler itself (yes mountains are nice, but mountains and ocean are better!), some popular hiking routes (e.g. the Chief) and even a gondola ride are all potential stops.

Shuttle will get you back in time for the cruise - 6am and 9am departures both have plenty of padding. But a car - even collected right away at YVR with their hefty extra fees (22% IIRC) would still be better value. Choose the right fleet - Alamo/Budget - and you can drop off right at the pier, can't get much more convenient than that; but if rates are more than a few bucks more expensive than different company forget it as cab fare from nearest downtown office of any of the other major players would likely be $5!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Princess: Emerald, Golden x3, Island, Star x2
NCL: Gem, Pearl
HAL: Veendam
Edumacational kiddie cruises: SS Uganda
Ontario, Canada
139 Posts
Joined Jan 2011
Thank you. I'll go with the car rental. Alamo and Budget is 3x more expensive than other rental companies. Hertz is having a good deal for my dates, I think I will go with them and take a cab. Thanks for your advice. Just what I was looking for.
Vancouver, BC
932 Posts
Joined Nov 2004
While a car rental sounds likely to be the right way to go in this situation due to the convenience factor, I came across a cheap shuttle service called Epic Rides while waiting for the missus to pick me up from work downtown. I googled them and they look pretty affordable: $35 (+tax) round trip. However, their end point is in downtown Vancouver by Burrard Skytrain station with a handful of departures each day.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sept 2005 RCI Navigator E Caribbean | Dec 2007 RCI Vision Mexican Riviera | May 2009 X Millennium Alaska | Dec 2009 RCI Liberty W Caribbean | Dec 2011 X Equinox Ultimate Caribbean | Oct 2013 X Reflection E Mediterranean | Oct 2016 X Reflection E Mediterranean | Sept 2017 RCI Allure Caribbean
YVR & PDX
3,830 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
Originally posted by Milhouse
While a car rental sounds likely to be the right way to go in this situation due to the convenience factor, I came across a cheap shuttle service called Epic Rides while waiting for the missus to pick me up from work downtown. I googled them and they look pretty affordable: $35 (+tax) round trip. However, their end point is in downtown Vancouver by Burrard Skytrain station with a handful of departures each day.
I didn't mention those guys as I thought I recalled them having extremely limited schedules outside ski season and no airport pickup - they actually have more than I thought so could be viable for OP and thanks for posting. Even paying a cab to get to their departure point would be very possibly cheaper than a car + gas at ~$35 (incl tip) plus the shuttle fare...
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Princess: Emerald, Golden x3, Island, Star x2
NCL: Gem, Pearl
HAL: Veendam
Edumacational kiddie cruises: SS Uganda
Vancouver native, volunteer extraordinaire and addicted to cruising
8,062 Posts
Joined Jan 2004
If the OP will email me - my email address is in my signature - I will put in in contact with a company that a regular coffee buddy of mine works for - he does airport to Whistler often and then brings people back to the cruise port - just put cruise in the subject line.
Hope this helps.
Cheers!
Dennis
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
COMPLETED: AT LEAST 285 DAYS AT SEA AND COUNTING:
Sun Princess - Alaska May 2000
NCL Sun - Panama Canal 4/11/04
NCL Sun - Pacific Coastal 4/27/04
NCL Star - Pacific Coastal 5/08/05
NCL Sun - Alaska Inside Passage 5/13/06
NCL Star - Mexican Riviera 02/10/07
NCL Pearl - One Nighter Seattle to Vancouver 9/23/07
NCL Dawn - Dawn Nymphs cruise New York to Miami 10/28/07
NCL Star - One Nighter Seattle to Vancouver 9/20/08
NCL Dawn - NY to Miami Repo11/08
NCL Spirit - Western Caribbean from New Orleans - 02/08/09
NCL Pearl - Alaska 08/30/09
Golden Princess - Coastal repo LA/YVR 05/10
NCL Spirit - Boston/NOLA 10/10
NCL Star - Coastal repo - Vancouver/LA 09/11
NCL Star - Panama Canal - LA/Tampa 10/11
NCL Jewel - Pacific Coastal YVR/LA 09/22/12
Grand Princess - 49 day South America cruise - Jan/March 2-2013 - Around the Horn
NCL Dawn B2B2B Sept/Oct 2013 - Boston/Quebec/ Boston 14 days at sea.
Star Princess/Grand Princess Pacific Coastal loop May 2014
NCL Dawn-Boston/Bermuda/Boston/NOLA Oct/Nov 2014
Grand Princess Pacific Coastal April 2015
Norwegian Jewel - 10 day Alaska Sept 2015
Crown Princess - one night Vancouver to Seattle May 20, 2016
Ruby Princess - one night Seattle to Vancouver Sept 18,2016
NCL Dawn - 14 days Boston to NOLA repo Oct 2016.
NCL SUN - 14 Day Alaskan adventure from San Francisco to Vancouver.
ON THE HORIZON:
RCL - Seattle to San Francisco - 7 day round trip Sept 15, 2017
Emerald Princess - one nighter Seattle to Vancouver Sept 24 2017
NCL Bliss - Maiden Panama Canal - Miami to LA - May 2018
NCL Dawn - 7 day Canada/New England from Boston Oct 19,2018
NCL Dawn - 14 day Caribbean r/t Boston Oct 26, 2018
If you want to contact me it's [email protected]