Transatlantic Passengers - Balcony Cabin Question

LinVirginia

Having done 8 transatlantics and 28 days in the Pacific I can say that we hardly use the balcony, yet it makes the cabin appear larger and provides freash air. Of the 50 plus cruises we have done only once did we book a ocean view - never again!

Hal

As another poster has mentioned, very dependent on route and time of year.

We've done 22 TAs, both northern crossings and southern, both EB and WB. If it is a northern crossing in the fall (October/November) a balcony is usually pretty worthless. The exact opposite if it is a southern crossing, especially in the fall. You will use your balcony a lot, unless you hit weather.

If you want sun on your balcony, book Port side WB and Starboard side EB. In the spring and fall, the sun spends more of its time above the Southern horizon.

We've done six both directions, northern and southern crossings. We did a westbound November 24th departure southern route out of Barcelona. Smoothest, best weather ever used or aft facing balcony everyday. Did an April eastbound crossing out of San Juan and had worst weather ever. Only used the balcony the first two days. Si I would say it's a crap shoot.

For me it would depend on the price difference. I have always preferred a balcony in the past, no matter the itinerary or time of year. I am now reaching the stage where I am thinking more carefully. Looking at how much I think I will use it versus price difference. It if is not great then I would always choose a balcony. Also I would think about who I was travelling with. If it is just DH and me we spend more time in the cabin than if we are travelling with others.

We use our balcony an awful lot (on Transatlantics and Transpacifics) as long as the weather permits. Consider that there are many sea days....which gives folks a lot more free time to enjoy their balcony,

Hank

I agree about the price difference. We've always had a balcony on all cruises but once on a TA on Reflection the difference between inside and balcony was $1200! I decided I could forgo the balcony; we're very familiar with Reflection so I knew lots of places to go to get my sea view fix...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

How much of the time could you actually use your balcony? I am thinking that an Oceanview might be the smarter choice for a Transactlantic sail?

Never booked anything but balcony. I am sure that ocean-view makes more sense. Staying home makes more sense. But still I cruise, in balcony accommodations.

On our two TAs we have seen great sunrises and sunsets from our balcony, we have seen two owls sitting on the balcony rail (they hitched across the Atlantic, making frequent appearances around the ship). We have enjoyed watching the sea pass by, shivering, knowing that we were only two steps away from a warm space if the cold got to be too much for us. Mostly we have had good weather and much balcony time.

Seriously, I don't an Oceanview would be a bad choice. It is just not a choice I would make on a long cruise with many sea days where I expect to spend a lot of time in my cabin rather than out and about in ports of call.

Stan

For me, a balcony gives me my peaceful "private" time; regardless of weather. However, I am one who uses my back deck at home every late afternoon to read and drink a glass of wine. Yes, I may be wrapped up in a fleece blanket, but I Iove the fresh air and Mother Nature. And yes, sometimes it is snowing or the wind is blowing 35 miles per hour.

So, yes, we love our balconies.

I prefer balconies but having done at least 8 TA's , some we never really got to use the balcony. If there is little difference in price, I would do the balcony just for the sake of walking out to see what the weather is like.

We normally get a balcony; but don't mind an oceanview if the cabin is a similar size to the ones with balconies. We have been on 2 TA's, both westbound, with a balcony that was rarely used. If you have never cruised in an oceanview and the price difference is significant, it might be a good time to try one.

We use our balcony an awful lot (on Transatlantics and Transpacifics) as long as the weather permits. Consider that there are many sea days....which gives folks a lot more free time to enjoy their balcony,

Hank

Agree!

Never done a TA but have done a TP and other cold cruises. You can have blankets in your room ready to use and unless it is driving rain you can still enjoy your balcony. I love sitting on the balcony with some pretence of reading watching the clouds change patterns and colours. On our Norwegian Fjiords cruise I even took a hot water bottle so that if the weather was bad I could still enjoy.

Because we live in So Cal we usually have open windows and fresh air...and we always book a balcony...even if the weather is bad we can still grab a moment outside for a "breath of fresh air"...super important to me. And I agree that it makes the cabin seem larger. If I couldn't book a balcony I wouldn't go...LuAnn

We did a balcony for TA last year. Use of balcony was to walk out daily and look at the vast sea. I prefer to have the balcony for the view. We ended up moving up from Balcony to Aqua (price was dropping closer to leaving and it cost us $20 to make change). This was our first time in Aqua and we enjoyed having Blu.

On our last TA we had a balcony and the weather was cold. However, it allowed us to enjoy the most spectacular night lightning storm that I have every seen - the sky looked like a cracked egg at times :D. Also, got to sight dolphins, etc. during the day. If the price differential is not bad, then go for a veranda.

• 3 weeks later...

For next spring's TAs, the price for a balcony or oceanview are almost identical right now. We've always done OV, booked months ahead, and then noticed that balcony prices go way below OV prices as the dates get closer. We're okay with that, we prefer OV, but some late bookers got balconies at even lower prices, once all the OVs were sold.

Living in the west and loving the fresh air and openness, I need a balcony. My DH would be fine with an OV, but life is short and I want my cruises with fresh air all day and night. Once, I was able to get a suite for only 300 more...now I am spoiled. However, if prices keep going up and up, I may have to have a smaller cabin and cruise more...as a friend of mine told me...” you deserve to try new things all the time; it is only money and spend it you should.”

I did my first eastbound TA last April in a starboard corner aft suite. It was heavenly, but my DH hated losing the hours...he has trouble sleeping normally, so that killed him...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums