The First Voyage of the Norwegian Bliss to Alaska

BirdTravels

Thanks for the quick reply! I heard that you get one entree and as many appetizers and desserts as you want...true? Is that only with the SDP or is that in the restaurants that have a "cover charge" as well? Thanks again.

On Bliss, I went to La Cucina and they point at your menu saying "one from here, one from there. . ." adding up to three things - an appetizer, main, and dessert. If there was room for negotiation, they sure didn't advertise it!

At Los Lobos, the next night, I think they said any three things, similar to La Cucina, but we ordered the Guacamole dip to share (that's something you have to ask for and has a price if you aren't using SDP), and they still gave us an appetizer, main, and dessert beyond that.

Ocean Blue I think was similar to La Cucina.

Based on some conversations I inadvertently overheard between servers and guests, however, I got the sense that if your request was reasonable, they would work with you. But you have to ask. . .I was never given the impression that I can just go for unlimited anything.

We loved the UDP, never had issues anywhere getting drinks, most drinks, wine and all beers are under the $15 limit. The only time it appeared you'd have to pay extra was on tasting flights, generally $20, but they give you a 20% discount on those if you absolutely want to have one. Otherwise, just order the full size drinks and don't worry about any extra cost! :-)

As for the dining, we ate at Cagney's (excellent steak), La Cucina (outstanding service) and Los Lobos (different twist on Mexican, but still excellent). Los Lobos prices were by far the cheapest, so if you have to pay out of pocket, definitely the restaurant you want to do that in. We never had an issue w/ any of our orders, but the amount of food is usually so much, that we never tried to get multiples of anything, but I think they would honor any reasonable request, or you just pay the extra amount.

We loved our cruise, still suffering withdrawl after docking last Saturday. Would absolutely recommend this cruise on the Bliss and despite what you may read about crowds, etc, we never really had any issues. Make your reservations as early as possible, but don't fret if you don't get everything reserved before the cruise or immediately upon boarding. We easily got into comedy shows and such without reservations. About the only thing that seems to be problematic is the go-karts, but we did manage a reservation for that too made the first afternoon on board. The forward set of elevators do get crowded, especially at peak times (meals & shows). Use the aft elevators, the stairs or even take an elevator the opposite direction, then ride it to where you want to go.

The biggest complaint we had was finding a seat in the buffet. But avoiding peak times or simply sitting in the outer area between the indoor buffet and the pool area always had seating, even at peak times and is still protected from the weather. We highly recommend the spa pass, purchased ours for $199 pre cruise and loved every minute of it. They actually limit the number of passes they sell and to be honest, there was only ever one time in the six days and 15 hours I spent in the spa that was "crowded" and by crowded, I mean there was one lounge chair for each person present (approx 60).

Mike & Sue

We loved the UDP, never had issues anywhere getting drinks, most drinks, wine and all beers are under the $15 limit. The only time it appeared you'd have to pay extra was on tasting flights, generally $20, but they give you a 20% discount on those if you absolutely want to have one. Otherwise, just order the full size drinks and don't worry about any extra cost! :-)

As for the dining, we ate at Cagney's (excellent steak), La Cucina (outstanding service) and Los Lobos (different twist on Mexican, but still excellent). Los Lobos prices were by far the cheapest, so if you have to pay out of pocket, definitely the restaurant you want to do that in. We never had an issue w/ any of our orders, but the amount of food is usually so much, that we never tried to get multiples of anything, but I think they would honor any reasonable request, or you just pay the extra amount.

We loved our cruise, still suffering withdrawl after docking last Saturday. Would absolutely recommend this cruise on the Bliss and despite what you may read about crowds, etc, we never really had any issues. Make your reservations as early as possible, but don't fret if you don't get everything reserved before the cruise or immediately upon boarding. We easily got into comedy shows and such without reservations. About the only thing that seems to be problematic is the go-karts, but we did manage a reservation for that too made the first afternoon on board. The forward set of elevators do get crowded, especially at peak times (meals & shows). Use the aft elevators, the stairs or even take an elevator the opposite direction, then ride it to where you want to go.

The biggest complaint we had was finding a seat in the buffet. But avoiding peak times or simply sitting in the outer area between the indoor buffet and the pool area always had seating, even at peak times and is still protected from the weather. We highly recommend the spa pass, purchased ours for $199 pre cruise and loved every minute of it. They actually limit the number of passes they sell and to be honest, there was only ever one time in the six days and 15 hours I spent in the spa that was "crowded" and by crowded, I mean there was one lounge chair for each person present (approx 60).

Mike & Sue

The Spa Pass includes access to everything, except treatments?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The Spa Pass includes access to everything, except treatments?

The "Spa Pass" give you access to the Thermal Suite

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=56234643&postcount=190

The Thermal Suite is a passage toward ultimate relaxation. Based on the concept of Turkish baths, where friends and family spent the day relaxing, the heat and cleansing therapies of our Thermal Suite experience include heated ceramic lounge chairs, a Thalasso Therapy Pool, hot tubs, steam room, sauna, and tropical rain showers. Different herbal steam and sauna grottos cleanse the body with gentle heat while a therapeutic heated-water pool bubbling effect will wash away stiff and sore joints. Take a dip in the Vitality Pool or enjoy a warm waterfall cascading onto your shoulders. Heated chaise lounges and tropical shower features make this both a relaxing and cleansing experience. A Salt Room and Snow Room is available on the Bliss.

On Bliss, I went to La Cucina and they point at your menu saying "one from here, one from there. . ." adding up to three things - an appetizer, main, and dessert. If there was room for negotiation, they sure didn't advertise it!
We had the exact same experience and I will add that my DD wanted 2 from one area and none from another and the waitress made it sound like she'd do us a big favor and make it happen.

Mike & Sue

The pre-cruise price for the Thermal Suite for our upcoming September cruise is $249/pp

We had the exact same experience and I will add that my DD wanted 2 from one area and none from another and the waitress made it sound like she'd do us a big favor and make it happen.

No reason not to.

When waiters start talking about “rules” we ignore them and order what we want. We have never been charged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was the main dining room open for lunch on embarkation day? I know this used to be on other NCL ships but it has been awhile since I have cruised NCL.

Thank You

Joyce

MDR opens at noon along with Margaritavilla (extra charge)

The buffet, local, and observation lounge open at 11:30.

Was the main dining room open for lunch on embarkation day? I know this used to be on other NCL ships but it has been awhile since I have cruised NCL.

Thank You

Joyce

As others have replied, yes. Taste and Savor (sit-down dining) open at 12. But check out the early pages of this thread - you can see the Freestyle Daily (day planner) from each day of the Inaugural Alaskan last month. While of course they may have changed things after possibly learning a few things after that first go-around, I'd suggest you can still get a great sense of what to expect and when. Day 1 (departing Seattle) is about halfway down page 1 of this thread.

BirdTravels... Thank you so much for taking the time to write, photograph, and post this awesome report. I am an NCL newbie and I have learned so much from reading your report. Thanks again!

You are very welcome. We were on the inaugural (first after being christened) Breakaway, Geataway and Escape. The Bliss was a blast. We are already booked on the inaugural Encore (too many days to count).

• 2 weeks later...

This information was awesome! It has been over three years since I last cruised and I'm slowly remembering the ins and outs. I will be on the Bliss over NYE with a huge group of relatives to celebrate my Grandma's 90th birthday. It will be my first cruise without my cruising buddy/sister so I'll be a little lost without her. We did the spa pass on the most recent cruise that we went on and it was amazing. I'm hoping to do that again on the Bliss if I can. I'm at work right now skimming things, but I can't wait to go back and reread everything. A friend of mine was on the short sailing for travel industry folk and I had planned on peppering him with questions, but I think most of them will be answered in this thread.

Also, Silas was the cruise director on my very first cruise on Pride of America. Glad to see he's still around.

This information was awesome! It has been over three years since I last cruised and I'm slowly remembering the ins and outs. I will be on the Bliss over NYE with a huge group of relatives to celebrate my Grandma's 90th birthday. It will be my first cruise without my cruising buddy/sister so I'll be a little lost without her. We did the spa pass on the most recent cruise that we went on and it was amazing. I'm hoping to do that again on the Bliss if I can. I'm at work right now skimming things, but I can't wait to go back and reread everything. A friend of mine was on the short sailing for travel industry folk and I had planned on peppering him with questions, but I think most of them will be answered in this thread.

Also, Silas was the cruise director on my very first cruise on Pride of America. Glad to see he's still around.

Even though you are cruising without your sister, you can still wear the horse mask ;)

Happy New Year! The Bliss will be a wonderful place to ring in the new year. Have a great cruise! We enjoyed this first voyage of NCL’s purpose-built Alaskan ship.

So appreciate Bird Travels information on the menus, because we were wondering what the prices were in the specialty dining restaurants. Now we can choose which ones we would really like to eat in, and what they offer, also if we'd like to make reservations. Looking forward to our cruise in September! Thanks again, and happy cruising!

Do you have to walk through the arcade to get to entourage or the splash academy? This would mean I really need to go to guest service and have a no purchase allowed put on our kids key cards if it’s an option.

Guppies Area

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=56220191&postcount=70

Splash Academy Tour and Programs for all age groups

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=56220229&postcount=71

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=56220259&postcount=72

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=56220280&postcount=73

Entourage and Arcade

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=56250845&postcount=314