Opinions please

Bazfan

As another reply pointed out, the OP requested opinions on the question submitted, he simply provided an opinion. To follow your point, when traveling to Australia, China, Japan of South Korea, do you continue to tip as per custom in the U.S.

Personally, if we signed up for a cruise with a mainstream cruise line that charges a base fare, port taxes & discretionary service charge (DSC), we pay the DSC without question (it is really 1 component of the fare). We do not consider the DSC as tips, as we come from a culture where tipping is personal and is provided for exceptional service above and beyond. Yes, most crew provide exceptional service, but the DSC is a pre-determined daily rate, which we consider an add on to the cruise fare.

When taking cruises in Australia, we find the cruise fare includes remuneration for the crew, so in our experience no DSC is added. If a crew member goes above and beyond in providing us personal service, we may provide a small and discreet tip.

In summary, as the OP's situation is probably a mainstream cruise line, which includes a DSC, in addition to the base cruise fare, we consider it part of the contract. Provided the passenger in question was made aware of the DSC, at time of booking, then it probably should have been paid.

Agreed.

Here is another opinion and another generalisation about tipping. In my experience, the majority of people removing the auto gratuities say that they want to tip certain people and not all the ones in the tipping pool. Surely this goes against the cruise line tipping culture. I have no issue with people who want to tip people for great service but why remove the auto tip first, a bit hypocritical really. Can you guess where most of these people may come from?

Like I said, people will do what they want when able.

...... people should do what they feel is right for them......

And that advice is what causes so many problems these days - too many people doing what they feel is right for THEM. They smoke on balconies - because they feel it is right for THEM. They save chairs - because they feel it is right for THEM. They force their way into elevators before people can get out - because they feel it is right for THEM. And they modify the suggested gratuities - because they feel it is right for THEM. It is all about THEM, and only them, and very little about everyone else that they affect. It's the same all over these days - texting and driving, not stopping at stop signs, cutting in lines, playing music so loud the neighbors have to endure it, tossing their trash on the ground because nearest trash can is a whole 10 feet away, and on and on and on.

If more people would show respect for others around them, the world would be a better place for everyone.

There is a bit of a difference between Laws/Rules and guidelines, they are certainly not equal and nor should they ever be.

Laws or rules have definite consequences for disobedience, where as guidelines have wriggle room. If the cruise lines felt any stronger, than they would turn some of these guidelines that are abused, into the rules. so that they have consequences attached. Mind you if cruise lines do not enforce the rules, then anarchy will prevail.

There is a bit of a difference between Laws/Rules and guidelines, they are certainly not equal and nor should they ever be.

Laws or rules have definite consequences for disobedience, where as guidelines have wriggle room. If the cruise lines felt any stronger, than they would turn some of these guidelines that are abused, into the rules. so that they have consequences attached. Mind you if cruise lines do not enforce the rules, then anarchy will prevail.

I wouldn't classify anything sloopsailor listed as a law, rule or guideline (other than smoking on a balcony of course) but a basic social/human decency of realizing that this world is more than just about ME, and that MY behavior has an impact on OTHERS. I have no real issue with someone who removes the gratuities and tips the people that serve him or her directly, at least they are giving the staff something, but there is a small number of people who remove the auto tips/service charge and leave nothing, such as the person in the OP's example and they are wrong to do so. I have no control over what they do, but that doesn't mean that I can't voice my disapproval for what they do and judge that action as a wrong action.

I wouldn't classify anything sloopsailor listed as a law, rule or guideline (other than smoking on a balcony of course) .....

I never said those were laws, but some are rules and the others are guidelines. :)

No smoking on balconies is indeed a rule you agree to when you accept the booking agreement. You can be fined and/or removed for breaking it. Not saving chairs is something you are asked not to do, so it could be a rule, but certainly it is a guideline. Not forcing yourself into the elevator before people have been able to exit is just common sense and civility. And, paying the suggested gratuities is absolutely a guideline.

I don't need to do my own thing regarding these examples to enjoy my cruise. :p

You're splitting hairs between laws, rules and guidelines. So if you split those hairs you should also split the hairs between optional, discretionary and mandatory. I don't believe a single cruise line refers to the gratuity as "optional". Nor do any of them refer to it as "mandatory". It's "discretionary" meaning that the passenger is obligated to apply discretion in determining the amount of the gratuity. Opting out is a valid choice only if the gratuity is specified by the cruise line as optional.

Don't get me wrong: If you get horrendous service top to bottom, your discretion may indicate that a gratuity of $0 is warranted. However, that's almost never the case when a passenger gives no gratuity; it's almost always an expression of abject selfishness.

This message may have been drafted using voice recognition. Please forgive any typos.

You're splitting hairs between laws, rules and guidelines. So if you split those hairs you should also split the hairs between optional, discretionary and mandatory. I don't believe a single cruise line refers to the gratuity as "optional". Nor do any of them refer to it as "mandatory". It's "discretionary" meaning that the passenger is obligated to apply discretion in determining the amount of the gratuity. Opting out is a valid choice only if the gratuity is specified by the cruise line as optional.

Don't get me wrong: If you get horrendous service top to bottom, your discretion may indicate that a gratuity of $0 is warranted. However, that's almost never the case when a passenger gives no gratuity; it's almost always an expression of abject selfishness.

So, what I hear you saying is selfishness is one valid option. Hmm, OK.

Burt

I don't want to start yet another thread about tipping because at the end of the day only you can decide but having said that my question is about tipping!

A couple of months ago I was talking to a lady ( we were both solo travellers) and she said because she had paid almost double for her cabin she didnt pay tips cos, in her words," they had got enough money out of her."

I have always paid the gratuities but it did get me thinking. Do you think she was right?

deleted

She was not right. I also travel solo and have no problem tipping. Recently went on a cruise with my granddaughter and had a suite and prepaid the gratuities. I did not give extra at the end of the cruise though as I felt my prepaid amount was sufficient. Requested evening service only from my room steward so don't think he was overworked.