Coffee on Princess Ships

I think the error lies with all the cruise lines in not making enough areas in which to - buy & drink coffee, play cards, read book/ tablets, eat - did I miss anything .

Interestingly we never had a problem finding somewhere to sit for our coffees on Royal Princess when we did the Med. cruise last year. I was quite surprised.

The problem is probably exacerbated in our region as most Aussies tend to prefer to sit down to drink their espressos, lattes, tea, etc. Whereas many Americans seem quite happy wandering around with giant takeaway cups of coffee.

But there does seem to be some areas on some ships that are underutilised during the day - Skywalkers on Princess is a classic example and the Sky Lounge on Celebrity could be utilised more too.

Ssshhhh, don't tell everybody about Skywalkers! Sheesh, it'll be jam packed and yet another pleasant quiet place will be lost. :(

Don't worry, only a tiny percentage of cruisers in our region are here on CC.

Interestingly we never had a problem finding somewhere to sit for our coffees on Royal Princess when we did the Med. cruise last year. I was quite surprised.

The problem is probably exacerbated in our region as most Aussies tend to prefer to sit down to drink their espressos, lattes, tea, etc. Whereas many Americans seem quite happy wandering around with giant takeaway cups of coffee.

But there does seem to be some areas on some ships that are underutilised during the day - Skywalkers on Princess is a classic example and the Sky Lounge on Celebrity could be utilised more too.

Agreed.

Yeah I think most ships have areas that are under-utilised, maybe the ship could push it a bit in the newsletters.

Even have a coffee and snacks bar in the lounge during the day.

Yeah I think most ships have areas that are under-utilised, maybe the ship could push it a bit in the newsletters.

Even have a coffee and snacks bar in the lounge during the day.

Stick a self serve coffee machine in the ships laundromats, there's an idea. Get rid of a few from the IC/Piazza.:evilsmile:

Stick a self serve coffee machine in the ships laundromats, there's an idea. Get rid of a few from the IC/Piazza.:evilsmile:

In all seriousness I’ve often wondered why they don’t use more self serve machines. Not just coffee (though most make pretty ordinary coffee) but snacks, soft drinks, even cans of beer, use you card grab a chocolate bar, or can of Coke or a xxxx. One on each deck.

In all seriousness I’ve often wondered why they don’t use more self serve machines. Not just coffee (though most make pretty ordinary coffee) but snacks, soft drinks, even cans of beer, use you card grab a chocolate bar, or can of Coke or a xxxx. One on each deck.

Vending machines all around the ship would be okay but then who get s the gratuities?:eek:

But how would the machine pay the 15% gratuity to the server? ;)

Because they would have a very hard time adding the 15% service charge. The general cruise passengers would question why is 15% added. This could cause them to question the whole policy of tipping. Princess does not want to do that, as they make millions from the service fees. It is not about what is good for the guests it is always about how to make the most profit.

Agreed, we have become coffee snobs. The coffee here is so good that it has become a search of the world for a decent coffee when travelling and yet nearly always ending in disappointment until we return home.

So true and such a first world problem :') Sometimes I have to stop and ponder just how spoiled I’ve become. We have a great collection of coffee roasters and baristas here in Cairns so my daily drop sets a high mark to match.

Princess should get COSTA Coffee on board their ships, like P&O UK have. Costa Coffee is everywhere in UK, in every town. Costa is owned by Whitbreads who own the Premier Inn chain.

Always a decent brew is Costa.:hearteyes:

I struggled with Costa coffees on a trip to the UK a couple of years. Our experience then was that the coffee was made by an automatic machine and a little weak for my tastes. That said, Costa coffees are far superior to Starbucks in my travels.

I just think that Australia and NZ need to export more trained baristas to the rest of the world.

If packing your own solution means bringing something electrical that plugs in there is the strong possibility that they may take it off you before boarding & return it to you at the end.

The reason they give is related to electrical safety but that doesn't gel with me as they provide drip coffee machines in suites and for a while RC was providing kettles in Australian waters. They still do so in Asia, due to passenger demand for chinese tea.

Princess did however deliver a flask/jug of boiling water to the cabin very promptly when asked.

Sad isn't it that even our instant is better than that foul American stuff. Uggg

My own solution doesn’t include jugs or similar. I have a travel sized grinder and an Aeropress. All I need is water at 93C (no hotter according to a barista). Easy eh?:')

My own solution doesn’t include jugs or similar. I have a travel sized grinder and an Aeropress. All I need is water at 93C (no hotter according to a barista). Easy eh?:')
Here is a photo of my setup when I was on P&O pacific eden. It was no problem getting the thermos flask filled with hot water from the espresso bar for free.