Recife/Cabo Frio/Salvador Brazil

lisabesso

• 4 weeks later...

There are plenty of taxis in Recife and Salvador that want your business. You can see a lot in Salvador by walking in the historical district. The port is close to the old town. The day we were there, the HoHo bus was operating, but the air conditioning was not working, so we opted for a taxi. I’ve read crime is an issue in Salvador, but I personally did not see anything, or feel threatened walking around in the touristy areas. I heard of one incident where someone from the ship had their camera stolen while we were in Salvador. The beach in Recife is worth seeing, but I probably wouldn’t spend the day there; the oceanfront is very developed with chair rentals, restaurants and hotels, however there are signs with shark warnings for the swimmers. There’s also a really great mall in Recife if that’s of interest.

• 2 weeks later...

In Recife we are going to use Sergio from Tours by Locals for a private walking tour that he created after I told him what we wanted to see. Haven’t been there yet so I cannot tell you if he is good or not. But, there are a few guides to choose from on Tours by Locals and you can read reviews and chat by email with the tour guide before deciding to use them. Salvador and Cabo Frio aren’t ports on our cruise so I don’t know anything about those places.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Good beaches in Salvador and Recife are outside the downtown one hour or so by car. Both cities have great historical areas. Crime is a problem everywhere in Brazil, stay safe without jewrels, big cameras and a lot of cash. Keep cell phones in your pocket and avoid using them everywhere. By doing so probably you will be safe.

Cabe Frio (cold cape) has gorgeous beaches cristal clear waters, but cold.