Airfare to South America as much as 14 day cruise

CruzinFamilyof5

We just reserved Dec 21 South American cruise with Norwegian and discovered the airfare is the same as the cruise $8400 + $8000, because it begins in Valparaiso, Chile and ends in Buenos Aires, Argentina. We're tempted to cancel and find a 14 day cruise instead from any U.S. port to avoid spending 50% of our trip on airfare. We're limited from Dec. 19th through Jan 11th for any trip.

Any suggestions?

Following is a 12 night cruise that is on Explorer of the Seas (a ship that has a lot of fun things for kids)...

Southern Caribbean Cruise

Ship Name: Explorer Of The Seas

Departure Date: December 21st

Departure Port: Cape Liberty Cruise Port, New Jersey

Ports of Call: Cape Liberty Cruise Port, New Jersey; Labadee, Haiti; Philipsburg, St. Maarten; Roseau, Dominica; Bridgetown, Barbados; St. John's, Antigua; Tortola, British Virgin Islands; Cape Liberty Cruise Port, New Jersey

Another option is this 11 night cruise, which sounds great...

Ultimate Panama Canal Cruise

Ship Name: Jewel Of The Seas

Departure Date: December 29th

Departure Port: Miami, Florida

Ports of Call: Miami, Florida; Grand Turk, Turks & Caicos; Cartagena, Colombia; Panama Canal (Cruising Canal); Cristobal Pier, Panama; Puerto Limon, Costa Rica; George Town, Grand Cayman; Miami, Florida

We just reserved Dec 21 South American cruise with Norwegian and discovered the airfare is the same as the cruise $8400 + $8000, because it begins in Valparaiso, Chile and ends in Buenos Aires, Argentina. We're tempted to cancel and find a 14 day cruise instead from any U.S. port to avoid spending 50% of our trip on airfare. We're limited from Dec. 19th through Jan 11th for any trip.

Any suggestions?

The open jaw routing has absolutely nothing to do with the price. In fact, for your dates, the open jaw routing out of either MIA or LAX is CHEAPER than a RT to either Santiago or Buenos Aires. The airfare is very high because it is CHRISTMAS and the beginning of "high season" in South America.

You don't post where you are flying from, but I can see airfare for about $1000 per person, open jaw routing. And it can be in the $750-900 range, IF you are willing to get creative on routings. Mexicana, COPA, LASCA, etc fly through Central America, some flights with 2 stops. RT into and out of either Santiago or BA and then a separate ticket on a South American carrier to your destination also yields savings. There ARE ways to fly to SA relatively cheap, even at Christmas. But you don't find those routings on Travelocity, Expedia, etc. etc.

If you really want to go, please post your dates and airports you are willing to use. Also, if you are willing to change airlines (may mean checking and rechecking your luggage) and book separate tickets. Right now, for your dates, IF you fly RT from the USA to Buenos Aires, then a separate ticket from Buenos Aires to Santiago to start your cruise, the tickets price out at $876.30pp. Seats are limited (I can only see 6 on the RT USA/Buenos Aires), but it IS available.

Any suggestions?

Do you have FF miles? I just booked two tickets through Star Alliance for 50,000 miles each and $86.36 in fees.

The open jaw routing has absolutely nothing to do with the price. In fact, for your dates, the open jaw routing out of either MIA or LAX is CHEAPER than a RT to either Santiago or Buenos Aires. The airfare is very high because it is CHRISTMAS and the beginning of "high season" in South America.

You don't post where you are flying from, but I can see airfare for about $1000 per person, open jaw routing. And it can be in the $750-900 range, IF you are willing to get creative on routings. Mexicana, COPA, LASCA, etc fly through Central America, some flights with 2 stops. RT into and out of either Santiago or BA and then a separate ticket on a South American carrier to your destination also yields savings. There ARE ways to fly to SA relatively cheap, even at Christmas. But you don't find those routings on Travelocity, Expedia, etc. etc.

If you really want to go, please post your dates and airports you are willing to use. Also, if you are willing to change airlines (may mean checking and rechecking your luggage) and book separate tickets. Right now, for your dates, IF you fly RT from the USA to Buenos Aires, then a separate ticket from Buenos Aires to Santiago to start your cruise, the tickets price out at $876.30pp. Seats are limited (I can only see 6 on the RT USA/Buenos Aires), but it IS available.

I'm sorry I never heard open jaw, yes we're serious, it's the only dates we can travel. I have until Tuesday to decide about the reservation on NCL. It was the only cruise available with a balcony for 5 people! Where do I post? Thank you!

I'm sorry I never heard open jaw, yes we're serious, it's the only dates we can travel. I have until Tuesday to decide about the reservation on NCL. It was the only cruise available with a balcony for 5 people! Where do I post? Thank you!

Where are you willing to fly FROM??? How many days pre cruise/post cruise do you want???? I have the dates-just not the EXACT dates. Cruise leaves on Dec. 21, you can fly on the 19th (most flights to SA leave USA late at night, arrive SA early morning). Cruise ends January 4th, I believe. Are you flying back that day or taking a couple of days extra???

Hello,

I had to call my soldier in Iraq to make sure he would not be deployed. Dec. 19th would be great out of LAX. On the way back, we'd like to stay in Buenos Aires as much as possible, because I have family there. Our boys need to go back to school by January 12th. If they don't show up, I believe they are dropped from their classes. So, Dec. 19th through January 10th would be ideal. If at all possible, we'd like Delta or Lan, because of the in-flight entertainment with video games for 3 boys. We had planned to travel to South America in June, but neither Delta nor Lan could give us assigned seating together. That's how we decided an Alaskan cruise at the last minute. Perhaps at these prices, we should take what we can get, right?

Also, I chose a balcony cabin with no cabins across from us. I'm worried that being on the Starboard side we will not get to see much. When we're in each port do you think we'll get to see much from a balcony?

Thank you

Dear GREAT:

I need air also. You always give such good advice and I certainly appreciate it. I need 3 different quotes:

I have been booked since November 1007 0n Star Princess, sails BUE > VAL on 17 Jan 09-2 Feb 2009

1. OUTBOUND:10 or 11 Jan.09-LAX>EZE INBOUND:4 Feb(any time)SCL Arturo Merino Benitez Santiago, Chili Airport>LAX

2. OUTBOUND:10 or 11 Jan.09-LAX>EZE INBOUND:11 Feb(any time)LIM Jorge Chavez International Lima, Peru (If I get the Cruise-Tour.

3. OUTBOUND: Wed 14 Jan - AEP (Jorge Newbery A/P, B.A.) Earliest Flight > IGU (Cataratas A/P, Igauzu Falls)

INBOUND: Fri. 16 Jan - IGU (Cataratas airport at Igauzu Falls) Latest Flight > AEP (Jorge Newbery airport in B.A.)

Thanks for your help!!!

I just tried sidestep (dot com) and found the prices for your dates [LAX to SCL, EZE to LAX Fri 19 Dec 2008 – Sat 10 Jan 2009] as little as $1300/pp via Air Canada (:eek: odd routing), next was a little under $1500/pp via AA going and Mexicana on the return. LAN would run you about $1750/pp.

We did a 20-day HAL cruise Rio-Santiago via Antarctica this year. It is a spectacular cruise!

Good luck -

Hello,

I had to call my soldier in Iraq to make sure he would not be deployed. Dec. 19th would be great out of LAX. On the way back, we'd like to stay in Buenos Aires as much as possible, because I have family there. Our boys need to go back to school by January 12th. If they don't show up, I believe they are dropped from their classes. So, Dec. 19th through January 10th would be ideal. If at all possible, we'd like Delta or Lan, because of the in-flight entertainment with video games for 3 boys. We had planned to travel to South America in June, but neither Delta nor Lan could give us assigned seating together. That's how we decided an Alaskan cruise at the last minute. Perhaps at these prices, we should take what we can get, right?

Also, I chose a balcony cabin with no cabins across from us. I'm worried that being on the Starboard side we will not get to see much. When we're in each port do you think we'll get to see much from a balcony?

Thank you

No LAN/Delta

To get CHEAP prices, you are going to have to take THREE airlines, check and recheck your luggage in South America. This may be too much hassle for you with three kids but it is CHEAP for Xmas. LAX to Buenos Aires (EZE), then TACA to Lima and LASCA on to Santiago (SCL). On the return-EZE/LAX. Prices out at 912.76pp. If interested, let me know. Two of the seats on the nonstop EZE/SCL have been sold since I posted the $876.30 price this morning, so that is NOT an option anymore.

IF you want the EASIEST, cheapest: $1213.20 PP-all taxes and fees included. $2000 less than what you posted ($8000.00)

Air Canada Flight AC792 on an Airbus A319 (jet) in coach class

Departs Los Angeles, CA (LAX) Sat, Dec 20 1:20p 4 hrs 40 min

Arrives Toronto, Canada (YYZ) 9:00p

Layover in Toronto 2 hrs 55 min

Air Canada Air Canada Flight AC92 on a Boeing 767 (jet) in coach class

(meal, breakfast)

Departs Toronto, Canada (YYZ) Sat, Dec 20 11:55p 10 hrs 35 min

Arrives Santiago, Chile (SCL) Sun, Dec 21 12:30p

Note: The flight from Toronto (YYZ) to Santiago (SCL) is overnight.

RETURN:

Buenos Aires, Argentina to Los Angeles, CA: 7750 miles 18 hrs 40 min

Air Canada Air Canada Flight AC95 on a Boeing 767 (jet) in coach class

(meal, breakfast)

Departs Buenos Aires, Argentina (EZE) Fri, Jan 9 10:05p 11 hrs 35 min

Arrives Toronto, Canada (YYZ) Sat, Jan 10 6:40a

Layover in Toronto 1 hr 40 min

Air Canada Air Canada Flight AC791 on an Airbus A321 (jet) in coach class

(food for purchase)

Departs Toronto, Canada (YYZ) Sat, Jan 10 8:20a 5 hrs 25 min

Arrives Los Angeles, CA (LAX) 10:45a

The only downfall I see with this plan: The plane arrives in SCL at 12:30PM the day of your cruise. You can get the cruise line transfers to Valparaiso or a private transfer. The port is about 1.5 hours from Santiago. You will be arriving about the same time as the cruise air passengers. I hate cruise air, but did you check the price from the cruise line???

IF the kids can miss school for 1/2 day on Monday the 12th, you can save $25.00 pp.

Dear GREAT:

I need air also. You always give such good advice and I certainly appreciate it. I need 3 different quotes:

I have been booked since November 1007 0n Star Princess, sails BUE > VAL on 17 Jan 09-2 Feb 2009

1. OUTBOUND:10 or 11 Jan.09-LAX>EZE INBOUND:4 Feb(any time)SCL Arturo Merino Benitez Santiago, Chili Airport>LAX

2. OUTBOUND:10 or 11 Jan.09-LAX>EZE INBOUND:11 Feb(any time)LIM Jorge Chavez International Lima, Peru (If I get the Cruise-Tour.

3. OUTBOUND: Wed 14 Jan - AEP (Jorge Newbery A/P, B.A.) Earliest Flight > IGU (Cataratas A/P, Igauzu Falls)

INBOUND: Fri. 16 Jan - IGU (Cataratas airport at Igauzu Falls) Latest Flight > AEP (Jorge Newbery airport in B.A.)

Thanks for your help!!!

I really don't understand your post, but it appears you want to go to Machu Pichu (why you would take the Cruise Tour is beyond me-MUCH cheaper and pretty darn easy and a better experience if you do it yourself).

Then when the cruise is over, you want to go to Igauzzu. Is this correct???

I am going to write a long post to someone who wants to do an independent trip to MP. I probably won't get to it until this evening (lots of work to do today). But please post if I understood your post correctly. Thanks

We don't mind the Air Canada flight, but I would prefer ending up in Santiago the night before the cruise, Dec. 20th. The kids can't miss school at all, but maybe they can take their finals earlier and leave on the 18th? Air through NCL was $1600 each. We don't mind moving luggage around. It will be summer time. We'll be packing light! Perhaps we find a flight next week or next month, etc. I saw Lan have one way from EZE to SCL for $272. What is the next step?

Dear GREAT:

My cruise goes the opposite direction of Cruising Family. I sail on Saturday 17 January from Buenos Aires, debarking in Valpariso, Chili on Monday 2 Feb.

PRE-CRUISE: I have a reservation at the Art Hotel in B.A. They will keep my big luggage when I fly to Igauzu for 2 nights at the Secret Garden B&B for Argentine side only. I don't know how to find reasonable Domestic Air.

I did look at doing my POST-CRUISE at Machu Picchu on my own (as I usually do) and I can do the hotels alright; however, a plane trip, bus, & rail arrangements mystify me in Chili.

I just don't know if I can find the money for the expensive Princess tour.

I shall be interested to read your version, as I know you are a Chilean expert.

Dear GREAT:

You appear to give good advice, much appreciated:).

I also want to take a cruise from Santiago, leaving 5th Jan '09.and ending 2nd Feb '09. I can't find any reasonable priced airfares from Australia to Santiago return. :(Do you know a way to help us?

I went to the Air Canada site and found an excellent price adjusting my dates! $925 each, plus tax. Total was about $5700 for LAX to SCL and then EZE to LAX, Dec 18 to Jan. 11 with no long layovers either way. I was about to purchase when I decided I better double check with our 2 oldest boys who start college in the fall. Our 2 teenagers decided that 14 day cruise was too long, plus 1 week in Argentina after the trip. I wouldn't dare leave them alone in our house for 3 weeks. :mad: "Back to the drawing board"

Do you have FF miles? I just booked two tickets through Star Alliance for 50,000 miles each and $86.36 in fees.

How did you manage that!? Where are you flying from?? I have been waitlisted on UAL for a month trying to get FF seats IAD- EZE and don't see anything for weeks on either side of our December/January dates. I've been checking the website practically everyday. We are currently booked into Sao Paulo with our FF miles and will have to pay $$ for the rest of the itinerary plus it will take over 24hours.

I don't book seats very often, so I don't know all the secrets but, if you have any advice for me, I would sure appreciate it. TIA

...Our 2 teenagers decided that 14 day cruise was too long, plus 1 week in Argentina after the trip. I wouldn't dare leave them alone in our house for 3 weeks. :mad: "Back to the drawing board"

What!? You are kidding!? No way!!!

Is it permissible to turn the tables on our children?? You know, kind of whine and sulk until we get our way.

Well, I think that they are crazy to turn down such an offer--and you can tell them I said so.

Maybe you can get an extension on the cruise offer and spend a few more days talking to the boys about the trip. You really sounded very excited about it.

Dear GREAT:

My cruise goes the opposite direction of Cruising Family. I sail on Saturday 17 January from Buenos Aires, debarking in Valpariso, Chili on Monday 2 Feb.

PRE-CRUISE: I have a reservation at the Art Hotel in B.A. They will keep my big luggage when I fly to Igauzu for 2 nights at the Secret Garden B&B for Argentine side only. I don't know how to find reasonable Domestic Air.

I did look at doing my POST-CRUISE at Machu Picchu on my own (as I usually do) and I can do the hotels alright; however, a plane trip, bus, & rail arrangements mystify me in Chili.

Please check out the MP/w cruise thread. I posted my ideas for a tour and how to handle the logistics.

I will get back to your air problem tomorrow.

What!? You are kidding!? No way!!!

Is it permissible to turn the tables on our children?? You know, kind of whine and sulk until we get our way.

Well, I think that they are crazy to turn down such an offer--and you can tell them I said so.

Maybe you can get an extension on the cruise offer and spend a few more days talking to the boys about the trip. You really sounded very excited about it.

It's ok, we would have had to all share a balcony cabin. They are too old for the teen programs now. I found a Panama Canal cruise for 11 days, Dec. 29 to Jan 9 which is a little easier with their school schedule and airfare to Miami. I think we found the last 2 cabins across from each other. We're a blended family and they have friends at both homes. At least with the Panama Canal cruise, they can "hang out" with their friends for about 10 days and then we fly off to Miami with no excuses.

We are doing the same Itinerary on the Celebrity Infinity.

Right now we have airfare booked with Celebrity for $1450pp.

I'd love to be able to get it cheaper if you have any suggestions.

Three of us traveling.

Thanks,

-Dan

How did you manage that!? Where are you flying from?? I have been waitlisted on UAL for a month trying to get FF seats IAD- EZE and don't see anything for weeks on either side of our December/January dates. I've been checking the website practically everyday. We are currently booked into Sao Paulo with our FF miles and will have to pay $$ for the rest of the itinerary plus it will take over 24hours.

I don't book seats very often, so I don't know all the secrets but, if you have any advice for me, I would sure appreciate it. TIA

Did you try Star Alliance "partner" awards? What you generally see on an airline website is NOT a partner award. Air Canada is probably your best bet.

IF you are trying to get the UAL nonstop, your chances are slim and none. The seats are pretty well sold for PAID tickets-you are trying for tickets high season/Xmas holiday. The United nonstop is the ONLY nonstop IAD/EZE. I would doubt United releases additonal FF seats.

While the AirCanada routing is not optimal (you fly IAD nonstop to Toronto, then nonstop to EZE), it may be the only way to use your FF miles. It certainly is worth a phone call. Good luck!!!

We are doing the same Itinerary on the Celebrity Infinity.

Right now we have airfare booked with Celebrity for $1450pp.

I'd love to be able to get it cheaper if you have any suggestions.

Three of us traveling.

Thanks,

-Dan

Dates???? Airports??? Destination????

Dear GREAT:

You have two/three options:

My first choice-Copa Airlines (subsidiary of Continental)

LAX/Panama City/EZE-leave LAX very early morning (1:00AM) on January 13. Arrive EZE about 9:00PM on January 13

Separate ticket on AeroLineas Argentina-January 14

Leave Buenos Aires at 7:10AM, arrive Iguazu about 9:00AM.

Return on the 4 or 5 PM flight on January 16. Total Price-@269.00

Go on your cruise-get to Valpariso on Feb. 2

This is where you have options-IF you spend the evening of Feb. 2 in Santiago, you get the CHEAP flight to Lima the next day. However, you will arrive Lima too late to get a GOOD flight to Cusco. So you can spend the day in Lima (and the night at my favorite little hotel-cheap), then take the EARLY flight to Cusco on Feb. 4

OR take the more expensive flight on the night of Feb 2 from Santiago to Lima. Spend the few hours in the airport (you won't be the only one), then on the 3rd, take the EARLY flight to Cusco.

The difference in price is less than $200, which would be eaten up in hotels in Santiago and Lima. However, you may want to sightsee in Lima and Santiago.

Here's my recommendation. You MAY have to have a TA book this for you. And the TA will probably charge you about $50.00. IF you have problems booking this, please post. I pulled the itinerary off my office SABRE system. I can only book for myself and my company. IF you need the booking codes, please post. Total price, EXCEPT the flight to Iguazu, INCLUDING the RT to Cusco-$1414.30 Taxes and Fees INCLUDED.

COPA Airlines Flight CM303 on a Boeing 737 (jet) in coach class

(breakfast, movie)

Departs Los Angeles, CA (LAX) Tue, Jan 13 1:12a 6 hrs 18 min

Arrives Panama City, Panama (PTY) 10:30a

Layover in Panama City 1 hr 26 min

COPA Airlines COPA Airlines Flight CM279 on a Boeing 737 (jet) in coach class

(lunch, movie)

Departs Panama City, Panama (PTY) Tue, Jan 13 11:56a 6 hrs 7 min

Arrives Buenos Aires, Argentina (EZE) 9:03p

Note: The flight from Los Angeles (LAX) to Panama City (PTY) is overnight.

SEPARATE TICKET TO IGUAZU-book on your own:

http://www.aerolineas.com.ar/ar/index_en.asp?pais=us&idi=en

Leave Santiago the day your cruise arrives:

Santiago, Chile to Cuzco, Peru: 1890 miles 10 hrs 5 min

Lan Peru Lan Peru Flight LP5600 on a Boeing 767 (jet) in coach class

(operated by LAN Airlines S.A. as Flight LA600)

(dinner, movie)

Departs Santiago, Chile (SCL) Mon, Feb 2 10:35p 3 hrs 45 min

Arrives Lima, Peru (LIM) Tue, Feb 3 12:20a

Layover in Lima 5 hrs 5 min

Lan Peru Lan Peru Flight LP17 on an Airbus A319 (jet) in coach class

(snack)

Departs Lima, Peru (LIM) Tue, Feb 3 5:25a 1 hr 15 min

Arrives Cuzco, Peru (CUZ) 6:40a

Note: There is an overnight stop in Lima (LIM).

ENJOY CUSCO/MP!!!!

You are on your way home:

Cuzco, Peru to Los Angeles, CA: 4835 miles 18 hrs 3 min

TACA TACA Flight TA8 on an Airbus A319 (jet) in coach class

(operated by TRANS AMERICAN AIRLINES - TACA PERU)

(snack)

Departs Cuzco, Peru (CUZ) Sat, Feb 7 7:55a 1 hr 25 min

Arrives Lima, Peru (LIM) 9:20a

Layover in Lima 5 hrs 13 min

COPA Airlines COPA Airlines Flight CM488 on a Boeing 737 (jet) in coach class

(dinner, movie)

Departs Lima, Peru (LIM) Sat, Feb 7 2:33p 3 hrs 31 min

Arrives Panama City, Panama (PTY) 6:04p

Layover in Panama City 52 min

COPA Airlines COPA Airlines Flight CM302 on a Boeing 737 (jet) in coach class

(dinner, movie)

Departs Panama City, Panama (PTY) Sat, Feb 7 6:56p 7 hrs 2 min

Arrives Los Angeles, CA (LAX) 10:58p

Dear GREAT:

You appear to give good advice, much appreciated:).

I also want to take a cruise from Santiago, leaving 5th Jan '09.and ending 2nd Feb '09. I can't find any reasonable priced airfares from Australia to Santiago return. :(Do you know a way to help us?

Australia is a LARGE country. Have you tried LAN??? They fly Santiago/Sydney.

More info, please.

Archived