"LIVE" from Norwegian GEM / March 7, 2009

Radio

Hello everyone. . . .

It is once again I am sailing with Norwegian Cruise Lines. I have sailed twice previously on Majesty in the past 7 months.

This time I am sailing on the newest ship in the fleet. . . Norwegian GEM !

Those of you who have followed my "LIVE" reports with RCI, and HAL, and CCL already know that I will provide daily comments and trip reports from this cruise.

I will also try to post "LIVE" pics daily (as long as I am able to maintain a valid wireless connection)

Norwegian Gem is the newest and final of NCL's Jewel Class ships. She is similar to Norwegian Jewel (2005), Norwegian Pearl (2006), and Norwegian Jade (originally Pride of Hawaii)

It will be very exciting for me to explore this ship. She was built for Freestyle Cruising in 2007; so she is very young, and the reviews I have read about have been fantastic. There will be so much to explore for me, and I will try to get pics of all of the public rooms if possible.

I should be boarding the ship late tomorrow morning. My hotel is just about 15 min from the pier, and I hope to be onboard by 1130 or so.

Hopefully the weather will be good. . .the forecast is calling for 61f and sunny for sail away. I love New York City Sail aways. . .

So sit back, and relax. . .this should be a fun cruise ! (I hope that my internet connection stays active). I will try to post several pics before sail away at 4PM.

Thanks for tuning in. . . .

Radio

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Norwegian GEM

GEM2.jpg

© 2009 NCL Corporation Ltd.

Really looking forward to your live report! You will LOVE the Gem! When I first saw pictures of some of the public rooms it was a shock :eek: but everything works so well together. You will be very well taken care of by an excellent staff, from HD Prem, F & B Director Mirsad, Restaurant Manager Noel, CD Ray and Bar Manager Luis -- all the way down the line NCL has assembled the best of the best!

I'm particularly interested in hearing what you do in the ports, since we'll be on the Gem at the end of the month (THREE WEEKS!!:D). If it was just DH & I we'd probably never get off the ship, but since we're bringing DD on her first ever cruise, and she's never been to any of the ports on this itinerary, we feel the need to show her around.

You're in for a treat in that Ariel Jacobbe is on board -- if you like Sinatra, you will LOVE Ariel!

Enjoy your cruise!

I love live reports!!! Whenever the opportunity to post presents itself, I look forward to reading it!:)

I have been doing "LIVE" threads for awhile now. . . some of them can be seen HERE. . .

Thanks for tuning in !

Radio

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Radio:

We loved your recent Majesty and look forward to watching on the Gem.

Please take a picture of the bowling alley and the teppanyaki.

Thanks in advance

Ha ha. . . :) I think I would LOVE to try to Bowl a game while at sea !

Thanks for the nice comments !

Radio

;);)

Radio

;);)

You just have to pick a particularly rough sea day and you never know your score may go up!!

Radio

;);)

We bowled on the Pearl last May; it was comped by staff for people at the Meet & Greet. It was lots of fun!:D I bowled about as well as I do on land...horrible!:p Gutter balls are my friends.

I also look forward to your posts and pictures from the Gem. I want to cruise on her in April 2010. Thanks!:)

Hi Radio, I love your live reports and pictures! Because of your Majesty live report, I sailed her last August to Bermuda. I also like that your photos come up quickly on my old home computer. Have a safe journey to the ship and an excellent trip.

Coka

Radio, I was so happy to see that you are on the March 7th Gem and plan to do your live reports. We are just off the Gem last Saturday 2/21-2/28 and had a wonderful time on a beautiful ship - now we can relive our cruise with you via computer.

Please try to visit the Mermaid and take some pics of her and all her charms from past cruisers. (Sticky - top of Gem Roll Call board)

Thank you and have a great time!

Hello everyone. . . It looks like the forecast is very accurate. Today is a sunny bright day, and the temps should rise to about 65f.

The Gem is now docked. It appears that she docked at about 945, so I am in no rush to get to the pier. I went across the street for a great cup of Starbucks this morning, and I will probably head over to the port by around 11AM.

I have cruised from New York a few times, and it appears that traffic heading to the pier is heavier on weekends, than it is during the week (at around 11-12)

I should hopefully be able to post a few pics before sail away.

Here are a few pics from the NCL Gem Bridge Cam, and from a cam across the street from the pier. (These cams are a little out of focus)

There is another Webcam at the Intrepid Museum at Pier 86 HERE

Thanks for tuning in. . .

Radio

No Ships docked at Pier 88 at 830 this morning. . .

S3.jpg

Norwegian Gem heading up the Hudson River

S4.jpg

She is almost home. . .

S5.jpg

Pulling up to Pier 88

S7.jpg

She is docked, and it is almost time for me to hop onboard.

S9.jpg

Gem at the pier

S8.jpg

Archived