Icelandair review

Alaskanb

Icelandair asked for a review of their services after our recent flights. These were my comments:

We had a very smooth set of flights from DEN-KEF-LHR that included a 40 minute delay out of DEN due to a storm while we were on the runway. It was so easy to find our next gate and just present our passport for the KEF-LHR portion. Even our luggage made it with us --very impressive!

On the return LHR-KEF-DEN we did a 2 day stopover --again smooth connections. The cafe's in KEF had lovely food and drinks. Our only surprise was that there was no order to the boarding process in KEF as there had been in DEN and LHR --it did go smoothly and everyone had space for luggage. I think your 2 check-in bags certainly contributes to the ease in boarding.

Lots of free drinks served onboard with very pleasant personnel. Paid food and wine was of good quality. Movies were enjoyable and I appreciated the links to Iceland in those I watched.

Our only negative was that it was very hot in our seats in Row 14 (plane was Surtsey). We were sweaty and uncomfortable. On the return, in a different plane (Katla) we had row 17 and it was considerably a more comfortable temperature. You could feel the increase as we walked down past the row 14 area on our way to the toilet. If we travel with you again we will certainly avoid that area. I do not know what it was like further back in the plane.

Flown twice with Icelandair - just back from a Baltic cruise on this Wed. Minneapolis - Reykjavik - Copenhagen (and vise-versa) Saga class. People here case on the 757 and although not the newest tech, Icelandair has managed to keep them in very nice shape. On time. I cannot comment on coach but Saga class (first class) is like domestic first class, 40" pitch. Food was hot and tasty, service excellent. Round trip about $2200 pp which I consider reasonable, this of course includes use of the SAS lounge in Copenhagen which is very nice. Good entertainment system although there is a difference between planes and the quality of the monitors and operating systems. All in all, for the price, I give them a thumbs up and will fly with them again.

Interesting, in Iceland, there is no call for plane boarding. There is no Family with small children, Gold card members, veterans, welders local 472, only a simple "go to gate" on the video board - then you board.

• 3 weeks later...

We fly Icelandair regularly when going from Boston to Europe because the prices are just too good to pass up. We already booked our next summer vacation flights at $980 per person R/T. Boston to London and returning Paris to Boston. The inconvenience of 70 to 75 minutes to change planes is no big deal when saving $300 to $400 per person.