Air France strik

gazzagirl

I just got a text message from air France saying they may go on strike the day we fly out on the 15th this Monday. They asked if we want to rebook for the 30th of September! We are supposed to be in nice on the 16th and we sail on the journey out of Monte Carlo on the 20th. I called choice air and they new nothing she gave me an 800 number to call if we get stranded really? I'm going to make some more phone calls in the morning anyone else in the same boat?

I realize you are booking through Choice Air which becomes a problem in itself in this circumstance.

Was you ticket perhaps booked on 006 stock which is Delta? If so you may be able to get some relief by contacting Delta immediately.

We were facing an AF pilots action for a flight in May from CDG to ATL and connecting to our home airport. Because the "strike" was announced in advance Delta worked with us and got us on their metal. BTW the strike was cancelled and we remained on the Delta flight.

Whether it is pilots, flight attendants or ground crews these pre-announced actions do not often materialize or are localized and do not affect transatlantic flights. The circumstance you face however, is that these actions have been gaining momentum and at some point there probably will be a work stoppage and the airline will cave into some of their demands.

I truly feel for you, having been in your shoes so recently.

Now back to Cruise Air. They will not be proactive on your behalf in this circumstance. For one thing they too know that the work stoppages may not happen. The main thing is the fact that they bought the tickets you should be using a very long time ago....long before the flights were available to you. If Choice Air can avoid rebooking you they will. If that means you are stranded before the flight ever leaves the US they may not be able to do much. Flights are packed and the closest you might be able to get is Paris. If you can get to Paris you can at least take the train to Nice or directly to Monte Carlo. Offer that to Cruise Air as an option. Another option would be flights to Geneva or even Frankfurt - anywhere in western Europe.

One other very important thing for you to think about...if you can get to Paris and there is no flight to Nice available make certain that your return flights are not cancelled. This can happen if a preceding segment is not flown.

I hope you get some assistance. Please report back. Everyone here will be very interested to see what transpires since you are just one of thousands who will be affected.

Thank you for the advice, I'm going to make some phone calls this morning to air france and Delta even choice air. I booked choice air because we received a 1,000 air credit for the cruise and they are supposed to get you to the ship no matter what... I hope. Thank you for the advice on the train to Nice good to know that is an option also. This is our first cruise and my first time to Europe (husband went 30 years ago) so I hope everything works out. I will keep everyone posted. Diane

Where is it written that they will get you to the ship "no matter what"?

I have never seen a Choice Air guarantee of any sort.

I guess my mistake I thought that was part of the perk booking with them. I called choice air this morning and she told me they would not change my flight only if we wanted to pay a penalty and pay the differance in air price, she then told me if the airline did strike on the 15th they would get us to the ship and make changes then. I also called delta and they will change our flight if we can leave a day earlier before the strike, the bummer is we paid for premium economy and now if I make changes we will be in coach.

and they are supposed to get you to the ship no matter what...

Unfortunately, but you are not the first to read the verbiage on their website and interpret it to mean what you want it to mean, rather than what it actually says. They do not promise to get you to the ship "no matter what." What they do say is is some very vague stuff like "work with the airlines" (whatever that actually means), and "when feasible" (who defines feasible?), and so on. Some people have reported great responsiveness from them where issues arise; others have reported everything from CA basically saying "sorry, talk to the airlines not us" or not even being able to get through to CA because it's the weekend.

I guess my mistake I thought that was part of the perk booking with them. I called choice air this morning and she told me they would not change my flight only if we wanted to pay a penalty and pay the differance in air price, she then told me if the airline did strike on the 15th they would get us to the ship and make changes then. I also called delta and they will change our flight if we can leave a day earlier before the strike, the bummer is we paid for premium economy and now if I make changes we will be in coach.

Did the agent say they would get you to the ship on embarkation day or just get you to the ship? Big difference. They MAY get you to the ship, but it may be days later…

At least you are being proactive and trying to find alternatives on your own through Delta/AF. At this point, it's a matter of whether or not you want to take your chances that the strike won't happen or change that flight to the earlier one Delta has offered.

Ok after all morning on the phone choice air changed our flight, we now are leaving a day earlier on sunday instead of Monday. So it all worked out ok we are flying delta not air france anymore and we are in coach but at least we will get there. Now to change my hotel and airport pickup. Thank you everyone for all your advice.

Ok after all morning on the phone choice air changed our flight, we now are leaving a day earlier on sunday instead of Monday. So it all worked out ok we are flying delta not air france anymore and we are in coach but at least we will get there. Now to change my hotel and airport pickup. Thank you everyone for all your advice.

What wonderful news. :D I've been thinking about you all morning. I'm so glad this worked out....whew!

Now, let's hope KLM doesn't plan something like this. See you next Thursday. :)

Gazzagirl,

I am thrilled for you. What a way to start your first cruise and first trip to Europe. I don't know how you found Cruise Critic but we hope that we have helped you through this ordeal. Do come back and let us know how everything went.

Have a grand time!

Gazzagirl,

I am thrilled for you. What a way to start your first cruise and first trip to Europe. I don't know how you found Cruise Critic but we hope that we have helped you through this ordeal. Do come back and let us know how everything went.

Have a grand time!

Thank you this board has been so much help, I found it just poking around the internet one day. Everybody has been so great and I learned so much stuff I would never have known without all the help. We even shared all of our shore excursions with other people on our cruise. Midwestchick has been an angel helping me thru email with this cruise from the beginning.

We got very lucky with our hotel in Nice we got the last room he had for Monday night and the transfer worked out as well so we are relieved that worked out with the airline strike. I will post when we get back how this cruise and Europe trip goes we sail the Journey on the 20th. Thank you everyone again for all the great advice. Diane & Mike

• 2 weeks later...

We have an air france flight on Sept. 25. I made the air arrangements on my own. We are hoping to take a cruise out of Copenhagen on the 27th. Right now I don't know how the strike is going to affect us. This is the 5th day of the strike and they are threatening to extend it. We have cruise insurance but can you believe it doesn't cover air line strikes!!! It covers trip delay up to $1000. I have talked to a Delta agent and they can't do anything for me right now. I have to wait until they officially cancel my flight. If we don't get there on time, we will loose all money for our very expensive 12 day Oceania cruise. Can someone give me some advice on what to do? Thanks!

We have an air france flight on Sept. 25. I made the air arrangements on my own. We are hoping to take a cruise out of Copenhagen on the 27th. Right now I don't know how the strike is going to affect us. This is the 5th day of the strike and they are threatening to extend it. We have cruise insurance but can you believe it doesn't cover air line strikes!!! It covers trip delay up to $1000. I have talked to a Delta agent and they can't do anything for me right now. I have to wait until they officially cancel my flight. If we don't get there on time, we will loose all money for our very expensive 12 day Oceania cruise. Can someone give me some advice on what to do? Thanks!

Although it's less than a week away, it will probably blow over by then...but some of the Euro airline experts may correct me on this.

Fortunately you planned to arrive a day before sailaway, and if the AF flight is cancelled it will open up more alternative for DL. (You do have more recourse than if you purchased Cruise Air).

At this late date, I would find the least expensive, *fully* refundable ticket as an ace up your sleeve. If you get to CPH as planned, get a refund on the other ticket. But it's there just in case. Be sure the ticket is truly refundable even if you no-show, the refund is a credit back to your card (and not a voucher for future travel), and no fees apply. It won't be cheap, but better than missing the cruise. Check some out-of-the box options like Norwegian, Turkish (through IST), Emirates (DXB), or Icelandic. Also a roundtrip might be less than a one-way (probably not, but check into it).

TI policies vary widely in coverages and exclusions....caution to others is to read the fine print before purchasing. Just like home and auto insurance, it might not have coverage you need, or vice-versa. Even policies from the same carrier cover a wide spectrum to suit individual needs.

With more itinerary details, people on this board can provide specific suggestions.

Edited by kenish

bcppelican.

Was your ticket issued on Delta stock - an 006 coded ticket? This would be an Air France ticket issued by Delta. CALL BACK until you get someone willing to help. I posted earlier about the impending May work stoppage and Delta changed our Air France tickets immediately.

Before you do check out KLM flights via AMS or flights with a connection anywhere in Europe.

If you can just get to Europe there are quite a few carriers that fly to CPH, even Air Latvia. SAS is the major carrier at CPH if that helps.

If you do not have a Delta frequent flyer number, get one. It will help you manage your reservation.

So sorry that you have this stress even if you are probably a LSU fan.

I appreciate everyone's help. I kept abreast of the situation with Air France. The minute they extended the strike to include my travel date I called Delta. They were able to change my ticket to a KLM flight. I had to repurchase my economy comfort seat through KLM. At least the seats were available for purchase and we will get there on time. I still can not believe that my cruise insurance would not cover this if we didn't get there on time. It makes me rethink the purchase of travel insurance. Once again, thank you for all your suggestions.

I appreciate everyone's help. I kept abreast of the situation with Air France. The minute they extended the strike to include my travel date I called Delta. They were able to change my ticket to a KLM flight. I had to repurchase my economy comfort seat through KLM. At least the seats were available for purchase and we will get there on time. I still can not believe that my cruise insurance would not cover this if we didn't get there on time. It makes me rethink the purchase of travel insurance. Once again, thank you for all your suggestions.

Congrats! Glad to hear things have worked out for you, and that you'll also have comfort economy seats again.

On the insurance, these situations really do point out the importance of reading the terms and conditions carefully. Don't know what insurance you bought, but several of the broker sites (insuremytrip, squaremouth, tripinsurancestore) allow you to select and compare the T&Cs side-by-side. Agents at these companies are also good in helping you select the right policy. I know that insuremytrip has a live chat function when their office is open, which is helpful.

Anyway, congrats! and enjoy your trip. No worries now!

We did the same. As soon as the AF strike was extended to our date, Sept. 30th, & continually seeing one or both of our AF flights cancelled, we managed to find a flight with Emirates leaving Sept. 29 & Alaska Air was kind enough to rebook our rewards flight to Venice, Italy. It was too nerve wrenching waiting to see if the strike would end for our flight as we were too close to missing our cruise.

We are still in the waiting game. Our fight is scheduled for Oct 2, the flight has been flying most days but one never knows. Called Air France since we booked directly with them. As soon as a decision is made we will be on the phone with them again. There are lots of Delta flights, they will rebook us to Delta most likely. Not knowings is the part I don't like.

I have found a flight tracker website, that provides info on flights for next two days and the past week or so, so it is useful.

Waiting to hear what the unions decided tomorrow, the 9/26th extension is up on Friday. News tonight is union holding out for something else...

Got to start packing over the weekend... I will not relax til we board in Rome. Hope I don't have to do this coming back in 2 plus weeks, at least I would have the cruise behind me then, hopefully.

There are lots of Delta flights, they will rebook us to Delta most likely.

I wouldn't count on this. If AF is canceling countless widebody flights, DL simply doesn't have the capacity to make up for it, especially if you don't have Skyteam status. Not to worry you, but don't automatically assume you'll end up on DL.

There are lots of Delta flights, they will rebook us to Delta most likely.

I wouldn't count on this. If AF is canceling countless widebody flights, DL simply doesn't have the capacity to make up for it, especially if you don't have Skyteam status.

What Zach said. The existance of a flight doesn't = available seats on that flight

What is the AF flight # in question?

One personal data point: KL flights are going out at about 110% of capacity. :):) Same with all DL flights in/out of AMS, though there is some inventory in J on some routes.

Have already collected two VDBs today, and might get a couple more tomorrow. At 600 Euros each, it's a nice day of not working. Personally, the strike can continue for as long time, or at least until my carry-on clothes need to be declared hazardous waste material.

Anyone on AF for the next few weeks should be actively looking at other alternatives. A couple of thoughts across the Atlantic include the obvious (KL and DL) and some others (AM, AZ, and UX!!) Be flexible and willing to take circuitous routings - better to get there than be insistent on non-stops/one-stops where inventory doesn't exist.