'Two Oceans by Railroad' excursion through Carnival

PaulMedik

This is a very popular tour that is offered, I imagine, by all cruise lines visiting Panama. We took this trip a couple years ago during our Summit Cruise. I can highly recommend it! We took the "Dome Car" version, which I assume Carnival also offers. There have been many comments about this tour so you may want to do a "search" of the boards to see everyone's comments (including several of my responses). I don't think you will find many people who had anything negative to say about it.

It is a great way to see the Pacific side of Panama, without having to sit in a bus, or if your cruise is not a complete transit of the Canal.

We took this excursion on our XHorizon cruise last year and enjoyed it very much. You will be able to see ships passing through the canal. We were on the domed car also. Our tour guard's name was Marty - born to American parents in Panama and raised in Panama. Our tour included a bus tour through parts of Panama City where Marty took us through a couple of the former American military bases that were turned over to Panama during the Carter administration.

This was truly among our most favorite excursions so far.

Dianne

We're thinking of doing it next month with our kids, 7, 10, & 11, is there enough to keep their interest, or will they be completely bored

mark

IMHO and from experience with our own children at that age, the adventure of being on the train, the journey past the ships on the canal and the tour guide talking about the history should keep their attention.

The Domed car is a bit more expensive but well worth the few dollars more for the view as you sit higher than those on the regular cars and you can see much more.

Dianne

We're thinking about doing this tour on our 4/13 Coral Princess cruise but the one with the dome car is sold out and they only have the executive rail car available. At a cost of $159pp, is this worth it?

Thanks

Sue

• 3 weeks later...
Thank you all for your replys.

Unfortunately the 'Domed Car' version isn't offered for our sailing. :(

My boys are 11, 9, and 5 so I'm sure they'll enjoy the experience. :)

Your boys might enjoy hanging out on the platform between the railcars with the photographers (and also the smokers!) My husband likes to take lots of photos, so I spent most of the trip out there with him, and really enjoyed the view - somewhat different than what you can see from inside. There are very sturdy railings, so with a parent there too, they will be safe.

Lisa

Your boys might enjoy hanging out on the platform between the railcars with the photographers (and also the smokers!) My husband likes to take lots of photos, so I spent most of the trip out there with him, and really enjoyed the view - somewhat different than what you can see from inside. There are very sturdy railings, so with a parent there too, they will be safe.

Lisa

Lisa,

Thanks for the tip! I'm sure that's something they will enjoy and I also like taking lots of photos. :)

Are your photos on webshots or a similar site? Would love to check them out.

We are booked on this excursion on our Princess Cruise on 4/23/06

The info we received said that it was a one way train trip and bus transportation for the return trip...Anyone that has been on this trip recently..can you clarify...bus or train return

Thanks

Peggy

We just got back. Our excursion was round trip on the train. Once we got to the Pacific side there was a short bus trip around town and to the MiraFlores locks, then back to the train and then back to the ship. I just posted some photos and videos on my website www.mydatalion.com

I believe it was just our ship only. We were the only ship docked at Cristobal Pier. I guess there could have other ships docked somewhere else that I did not know about.

• 2 weeks later...

Having now completed the Two Oceans By Railroad excursion, I must say that it was a great experience for our entire family. We got upgraded to the dome car by being last in line at the pier and being late was definately a good thing. :)

Check out our webshots photos of Panama for pictures on board the buses and train as well as pictures of areas we went to on the Pacific side.

For the five of us, the tour cost $800 and I'd say it was money well spent. My boys LOVED the dome car as well as the platform at the back.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I would like to know how to book this Excusion with Carnival, we are going on the 10-21-06. VICTORY.

If you go to carnival.com and register with your booking number you can book your excursions online ahead of time. I'm going 12/2, and all of my excursions are booked except for the Panama one.

Thanks for posting your pics, PaulMedik! My kids are now REALLY excited to go, and I think this is the tour we're going to do.

I would like to know how to book this Excusion with Carnival, we are going on the 10-21-06. VICTORY.

Hi,

We're going on that cruise too. If you get any info about this tour would you let me know? Our TA said that Carnival told her the Panama tours should be online soon. This train ride seems to be very popular so we'd like to book early. If I hear anything more I'll post too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

snoe, were you on the Brilliance? If so, would you be able to tell us the name or the price of the doomed train ride? We see 2 excursions and are not sure which one is the one you went on.

Also, how hot was it during your cruise? Did you have time to do any shopping at the pier on the way back?

• 2 weeks later...
Have you been able to book this excursion yet for the 10/21 Victory? I just checked and it shows up on the Carnival site for this sailing.

I looked today, 8/11, and it's on for the 10/21/06 Victory cruise. $155 for the excursion. Only trouble is that when you go to book it, it says that no excursions have been booked for this port. I took a chance and booked it and it said that my reservation had been confirmed so I don't know what's going on. I figure if this tour is not available, they'll credit my card.

Pricey tour but I'll never be in that neighborhood again.

Archived