Timing on Hop On/Hop Off buses

We are considering using hop on/hop off buses as our main method to tour in Helsinki, Copenhagen and Stockholm this June. Does anyone know how long it is between busses. Once you Hop off, do you have to wait a long time to hop back on the next bus? How far are distances between bus stops?

Since the ship is only in port one day we'd like to see as much as possible... Any other advice?

Thanks for all your help.:o

Most HOHO busses we've used run on schedules of 20-30 minutes. Distance between stops is governed by how far it is between the major attractions. Sometimes it's a hundred yards. Other tiimes it's a mile or more.

We really enjoy touring this way. It gives us the flexibility to see what we want for as long (or short) as we want.

Here are links for the HOHO websites:

Helsinki with a link to Stockholm; it has an excellent map with all of the stops listed: http://www.stockholmsightseeing.com/EN/HELSINKI/hop-on-hop-off-bus-tour.htm

Here is a link for the HOHO in Copenhagen. http://www.sightseeing.dk/regado.jsp?type=page&id=96

In Helsinki you can also use the 3T tram which runs a loop similar to the HOHO. It runs more frequently. Here is a map of its route. http://www.worldisround.com/articles/61999/photo1.html

• 1 month later...

We've used the HOHO bus in many cities and liked them when we were staying in a place 2 or more days.

We used it in Copenhagen and were very disappointed with the time wasted waiting for it, especially in the main square.

I found there was not enough time in Helsinki or

Stockholm to use them and do anything else.

• 9 months later...
We are considering using hop on/hop off buses as our main method to tour in Helsinki, Copenhagen and Stockholm this June. Does anyone know how long it is between busses. Once you Hop off, do you have to wait a long time to hop back on the next bus? How far are distances between bus stops?

Since the ship is only in port one day we'd like to see as much as possible... Any other advice?

Thanks for all your help.:o

Hi,

I hope you are still reading this thread.

Have you gone for the cruise yet? We are thinking of the same and wonder if you have had experience with the HOHO buses. We will be going in May 09. Please let me know about your personal expeience with them in Helsinki, Stockholm ,etc. Thx

Have anyone been on the Hop On Hop Off buses for the Helsinki, Oslo, Stockholm, Copenhagen during the Baltic cruise shore excursions?

I read that the buses are not on schudule during the beginning of the cruising season ( May) . In some ports of call, the time that the ship docks there is pretty short. Would I have enough time to get back to the ship ( evenn if I don't go inside all the attractions)

Aslo, do they pass by the cruise ports ?

I would like to know your personal experience with the HOHO buses. Thx

• 2 years later...

Hi,

I just returned from Emerald Princess Baltic cruise and was very disappointed in ALL hop on hop off tour offerings for several reasons. The main reason is that the ticket selling was chaotic and uncontrolled, without a system for first come, first serve. While some waited patiently in line to buy tickets, others would walk right up to the front and were served.

However, the most frustrating stop was in Aahrus, where we were permitted to leave the ship at 12 noon. By the time we bought our hop-on hop-off tour ticket and boarded a bus it was 1:15. No one ever told us that the last hop-on hop-off bus left at 3:00 pm, leaving us less than 2 hours for the complete tour, and would have left no time to get off at any stops. We learned the hard way, getting off in "old town" only to find after waiting for 1 hour 15 minutes and having to call the hop-on hop off number at the bottom of their brochure, that their services ended after the last bus left at 3pm. I feel it was wrong of Princess to recommend this option when it gave less than 3 hours time to see the town.

Although - now that I have been, I would choose another cruise line that does not stop in Aahrus, there is not much to see here and certainly other ports have more advantages. I would gladly have given up this stop to have additional time in Stockholm (where we had to be back on board by 1:00pm) Best bet here is the hop-on hop-off boat by the Aphrodite company, for the same price, they had 3 boats to 1 going around when compared to the other companies. Max wait time anywhere was 15 minutes.

• 11 months later...

Has anyone done the Hop On Hop Off bus tours in Oslo, Stockholm, Helsinki and Copenhagen in 2012? Where can you catch the bus? Can you buy tickets at the bus or do you need to buy online. Thanks for your advice. We are sailing on the Queen Victoria June 29 - July 14.

Archived