Colon, Panama suggestions?!?!

ADATL

Hi all. I looked under Ports of Call with no luck, so thought I'd ask...anyone have any suggestions on things to do in Colon, Panama? Any great excursions you'd recommend? Thanks in advance!!

I'm interested in any feedback from this too....in particular Panama.

I did a little research and got a few recommendations on independent tours in Costa Rica.

http://www.oscarbrowntours.com/tours.html

http://www.okeydokeytours.com/

They do the same tours as Carnival but for much much less.

Still trying to find something for Panama.

Panama (the country) is fine...however Colon (specifically) is not safe.

Richard of Panama on the boards is very clear that this is not a port you just grab a taxi at.

There are several ship excursions that are good. Of course, the Panama Canal by boat (but it is expensive and all day).

There is one that takes you to the locks and an old fort.

There are several shops, restaurants/bars right there at the port. And while it is fenced...it is not gated...locals come in to shop at the grocery store.

We felt very safe INSIDE the fenced area...

A group of cruisers on our cruise hired a taxi (van) thinking there was safety in numbers to try to save money on a tour. About half way through the tour, locals had put a log across the road and it cost them more money to have the log removed (what were they going to do???) ...these are the things you can run into if you do stuff on your own there.

gone_cruisin - thanks for the suggestions..... will look into those for Costa Rica!

LHP - wow! Thanks for the info....I had been hearing on my roll call that it wasn't safe....that's great information to have. Makes you wonder why CCL would pick it for a port with it being unsafe.

We were in Colon about a month and a half ago.

You want to have plans in place for sure. Colon is not the greatest place to just walk around, and I'll hang out just about anywhere.

We had booked the canal ferry trip, but due to a late arrival that day there was not enough time. We scrambled to find an alternate tour and booked a trip to the Miraflores Lockes. The lockes and the museum were very interesting, and at least we can say we got to see the canal! As we were there on Easter Sunday, ship traffic was very low so we didn't see a ship go through the lockes, however, they do make an announcement when a ship is coming so everyone can be out on the observation deck to see it.

The ride is about 2 hours from the port, depending on traffic.

If I had it all to do over, I probably would have done the Gatun Lockes instead as they are much closer.

That's unfortunate what happened to your fellow cruise mates. That could happen even to the Cruise sponsored tour too. I definitely do not plan to just rent a car and venture on my own.

From the sounds of the boards, the 2 tours that I gave links to pick you up right from the pier and payment/tips are paid after the tour. So if I guess if our ship comes in late or doesn't dock at all, we are out nothing.

Here's the Ports of Call board link

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=826461

If I had it all to do over, I probably would have done the Gatun Lockes instead as they are much closer.

Thanks for this tip!! Actually would love to see the Lockes and Canal!

That's unfortunate what happened to your fellow cruise mates. That could happen even to the Cruise sponsored tour too. I definitely do not plan to just rent a car and venture on my own.

From the sounds of the boards, the 2 tours that I gave links to pick you up right from the pier and payment/tips are paid after the tour. So if I guess if our ship comes in late or doesn't dock at all, we are out nothing.

Here's the Ports of Call board link

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=826461

Also great information! Thanks! This is why I love these boards....

We were just in panama in April on the Freedom. We did a private tour through MyFriendMario. We went to the Gatun Locks. We fortunately saw a few boats go through and really enjoyed it. After that we went to a beach called Playa Langosta. Very nice. Our guides actually even made drinks and lunch for us. It was a great day.

gone_cruisin - thanks for the suggestions..... will look into those for Costa Rica!

LHP - wow! Thanks for the info....I had been hearing on my roll call that it wasn't safe....that's great information to have. Makes you wonder why CCL would pick it for a port with it being unsafe.

Carnival goes there because it is the port that is closest to do an excursion through the Panama Canal.

People really want to see the Canal.

I just booked myfriendmario today. We are going to do the CL007 tour. Check out myfriendmario.com and look at the tours. I picked him through researching private tours on the ports of call boards. They are very helpful...

I was on the Liberty a couple of years ago. Go to Panama City and see the Panama Canal!

There is a real nice restaurant overlooking the canal, you can see ships going in and out. Really nice and good food!

Have a great time!

We have been to Panama twice and did two completely different excursions. The train across the Ithmus is a very good trip and I would recomment it. The train is in excellent shape. Their is a large table between the passengers so it is really comfortable and you have plenty of room for food or your cameras. You travel along the Canal and Lake Gutan and pass many towns along the way. You will also see some of the jungles and the bases the US left behind. The train then stops at one of the locks for a view of the ships going through.

If you want some thing different, then do the aerial tram. You take a bus trip to a fancy hotel where you can also see the canal from some spectacular views. Then you take the tram through the jungles. If you are lucky, you might hear and see a troop of Howler monkeys who passed over us in the trees. There is also a tower that is several stories high where you can take great pictures. Finally they have 4 other sites including an Orchid farm, an Aquarium and reptile house.

Both tours are great although the train is the most expensive.

Don't get off the ship and book one of the "shipside tours"! We did, and it was a joke! We went to the Panama Canal (stayed a grand total of 15 minutes at the locks!), and when we wanted to go shopping, he took us to a mall! We stopped for a beverage... at a grocery store. He proceeded to purchase himself some beer, and drank it the remainder of the excursion! Then, he had the audacity to publically poll everyone on the trip about how much tip we were going to give him. It was awful! Pay the extra and take a Carnival trip!

I just booked myfriendmario today. We are going to do the CL007 tour. Check out myfriendmario.com and look at the tours. I picked him through researching private tours on the ports of call boards. They are very helpful...

We were in Panama a few years ago on Celebrity and we did the CL007 tour with Mario. His Dad actually led us on the tour. The Embera Indian visit is still the best tour we have ever done on a cruise.

Mark

We were in Colon from the Freedom in May and took the ship tour to Panama City. It was $99 p.p. including lunch. We normally tour on our own but chose not to this time. We enjoyed the ride in a nice van type vehicle and used the new toll road that had just opened. Took about 45min to get to Panama City. Our guide told us it was unsafe for us in Colon other than at the pier shopping area. He said the people from Panama City don't even want to go there.

Stop on the way back at Gatun Locks was interesting - got to see a few ships go through from the viewing balcony.

Lunch was ok, nothing to write home about but fine. The tour was listed as 8.5 hours and we got back with about 45 min. left until all aboard.

There is a supermarket at the pier with wine/liquor/coffee etc and good prices.

OP here - thanks so much for everyone's recommendation and advice!! I've shared this thread with my roll call for the upcoming August cruise.

Thanks again! Y'all are the best!

When we were there in April we went to gatun locks and an old fort. We were late getting in so our operator had to make things up as we went. we were supposed to go to the Indian village which they say is a great time. We used mario and they are a very good tour oporator...lots of fun.

DO NOT walk or take a taxi around colon.

Use common sence and have fun

• 2 weeks later...

Very helpful info...Has anyone hear of the miraflores locks?? We can book thru the cruise for an 8 hour day but it is expensive...$179 pp and we are 4! Plus, does anyone know how long the bus would be from the port to the ferry that takes you thru the locks?

Thanks for the info...much appreciated!:)

It used to take about an 1.5 to 2 hrs to get from the Atlantic side over to the Pacific side where you would pick up the ferry. It also essentially be the same to go to Miraflores Locks. Now for the good news, the new road opened at the end of April, I would guess it would take no more than an hour. I have not talked to anyone who has been on it, so that is just a guess. Should be a better ride in any event!

Can you tell us how your tour went? We booked that same tour for July 9th so any feedback you can share would be awesome!

Thanks in advance.

Sunshine:cool:

Any input on which locks to go see? I understand that the Gatun locks are closer to the ship, making it less of a hassle to get there via bus. Anything else?

Thanks in advance for any info .....:confused::confused:

Archived