solar eclipse Dec 4, 2021

retubby

I have never been on an antarctic cruise but would like to do one during the solar eclipse coming on Dec 4, 2021. In your opinion would this be something that could be observed from the deck of a cruise ship? Could I expect a reasonably stable deck for good viewing?

The path of the eclipse will be an arc starting just east of the Falkland Islands curving southwards through about the middle of the Weddell Sea, then passing over the west portion of Berkner Island and the Ronne Ice Shelf, and continuing east of the Ellsworth Mountains. From there it crosses the continent over the Marie Byrd Land before heading back out to sea near the Russian station at Hull Bay (Russkaya). The eclipse then fades over the Antarctic Ocean somewhere just north of the Antarctic Circle at about 125 degrees west Longitude.

I'm guessing east of the Falklands might be the best chance for viewing? Any chance of calm seas in that area? Are there cruises to the Amundsen Sea that visit the Russian Station? Are the seas any calmer over there? The Russkaya Station is quite close to the path of maximum totality - it looks like a good place to be.

I think you can safely assume that there will be many trips for this phenomenon. Try getting in touch with National Geographic or Hurtigruten. But release dates won't be for another year or two.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think you can safely assume that there will be many trips for this phenomenon. Try getting in touch with National Geographic or Hurtigruten. But release dates won't be for another year or two.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Any comment on the chance for calm seas or clear skies?

Any comment on the chance for calm seas or clear skies?

We have sailed to the Falklands three times. Twice it was calm, once it was a Force 12. No-one this far out can say what the weather will be like at the time of the eclipse. December is the Austral Summer so you should have a chance of clear skies but beyond that...

The seas can barely be predicted 3 days at a time so I am sure you are not so naive to be expecting people to predict them for you years in advance !

There will be a plethora of cruise ships and expedition ships advertising itineraries aligned with the eclipse - likely around 2 years pre date as the last one was.

I have been on icebreakers during 2 lunar eclipses and it definitely wasn't steady enough for crisp photography, day photography for a solar eclipse is somewhat easier for focusing but still no guarantee of a stable deck on the day.

Re the Amundsen Sea region - only Oceanwide does expeditions there and their next one is 2020 - but unlikely to be early December as they do Ushuaia to Bluff in January then Bluff to Ushuaia in Feb. BUT - at this stage as no one is advertising for as far ahead as 2021 - and there are several new ships being built - no one here can possibly predict what will be advertised for what region.

While its good to plan ahead - I would start by squirreling away your $$ in a high interest savings account so you are reading and rocking for the second the offers start coming out and you can slap down your deposit.

I have never been on an antarctic cruise but would like to do one during the solar eclipse coming on Dec 4, 2021. In your opinion would this be something that could be observed from the deck of a cruise ship? Could I expect a reasonably stable deck for good viewing?

The path of the eclipse will be an arc starting just east of the Falkland Islands curving southwards through about the middle of the Weddell Sea, then passing over the west portion of Berkner Island and the Ronne Ice Shelf, and continuing east of the Ellsworth Mountains. From there it crosses the continent over the Marie Byrd Land before heading back out to sea near the Russian station at Hull Bay (Russkaya). The eclipse then fades over the Antarctic Ocean somewhere just north of the Antarctic Circle at about 125 degrees west Longitude.

I'm guessing east of the Falklands might be the best chance for viewing? Any chance of calm seas in that area? Are there cruises to the Amundsen Sea that visit the Russian Station? Are the seas any calmer over there? The Russkaya Station is quite close to the path of maximum totality - it looks like a good place to be.

I have already put a deposit on a cruise that will be in the path of totality on 12/4/21 through Ring of Fire Expeditions.

Carole

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I agree with what others have said, you never know what the weather and seas will be like. I have been on a large ocean going ship (3000 passengers) during the total eclipse in Australia and the captain was able position the ship to get a good view while those on land could not see it at all due to cloud cover. The solar eclipse on the ship was one of the highlights of the trip.

• Like 1