Sex offenders on cruises

Cruise News
Discuss up-to-the minute happenings in the cruise line industry.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 09:31 PM.
SE USA
7 Posts
Joined Aug 2016
Wrong again. Canada does not determine who gets on a plane, a train, a car, a truck or a ship. Canada does decide who steps on their land outside of those forms of xportation. Many are turned away. Many are accepted. It's case by case at the moment they arrive at the entry point. Not when they board. And Canada's law concerning USA residents is from a cruise ship to a land excursion, a passport is not always required.
Near Orlando but California Dreaming
14,321 Posts
Joined Sep 2002
Originally posted by eternaloptimist59
Wrong again. Canada does not determine who gets on a plane, a train, a car, a truck or a ship. Canada does decide who steps on their land outside of those forms of xportation. Many are turned away. Many are accepted. It's case by case at the moment they arrive at the entry point. Not when they board. And Canada's law concerning USA residents is from a cruise ship to a land excursion, a passport is not always required.

Why are you so fixated on oassports. I never mentioned them. Canada determines who enters their country, including their water. You are giving inaccurate and potentially expensive information to anyone reading this.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Past Cruises...
April 2014--Paul Gauguin to French Polynesia
June 2012--Windstar Wind Surf Back-To-Back, Rome to Venice to Athens
October 2011--Disney Dream Bahamas
October 2005--RCCL Mariner Western Caribbean
August 2002--Disney Magic Eastern Caribbean

Three weeks in Europe (two on a ship) with a 20" roll aboard and a tote bag--packing list here.
My all in a 20" wheeled bag for a warm weather cruise packing list here
20" rolling bag packing list for two weeks in a cool/cold climate here.
SE USA
7 Posts
Joined Aug 2016
This is my original post -

"Here are the FACTS as of Aug 2016 -
Royal Caribbean makes a decision on cruising by offenders on a case by case basis. Entry into Canada from a cruise ship at a port does not require a passport or photo ID. Only your pass card from the ship. There are excursions into Canada that require passports."

This is why I am fixated on passports. Because I read conflicting information on another thread as to who can and cannot enter Canada. Just a week ago I completed an Alaskan cruise on RC and I am stating the facts. I traveled with people that have criminal backgrounds even a sex offender.

So, either Canada is allowing Criminals and sex offenders in without passports or you're wrong. The obvious is the latter. Canada can not decide who boards a vessel of any sort, they can only decide who enters their country through a port. They CAN NOT prevent a company from having anyone aboard a vessel that enters their territorial waters. CAN NOT, PERIOD!

Now stop spreading false information.
14,321 Posts
Joined Sep 2002
Originally posted by eternaloptimist59
This is my original post -

"Here are the FACTS as of Aug 2016 -

Royal Caribbean makes a decision on cruising by offenders on a case by case basis. Entry into Canada from a cruise ship at a port does not require a passport or photo ID. Only your pass card from the ship. There are excursions into Canada that require passports."

This is why I am fixated on passports. Because I read conflicting information on another thread as to who can and cannot enter Canada. Just a week ago I completed an Alaskan cruise on RC and I am stating the facts. I traveled with people that have criminal backgrounds even a sex offender.

So, either Canada is allowing Criminals and sex offenders in without passports or you're wrong. The obvious is the latter. Canada can not decide who boards a vessel of any sort, they can only decide who enters their country through a port. They CAN NOT prevent a company from having anyone aboard a vessel that enters their territorial waters. CAN NOT, PERIOD!

Now stop spreading false information.

They most certainly can prevent a person on a cruise ship from entering their territorial waters. Typical ugly American who thinks we can make decisions for other countries. Ugh.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Past Cruises...

Three weeks in Europe (two on a ship) with a 20" roll aboard and a tote bag--packing list here.
Washington, DC
1 Posts
Joined Sep 2015
Does anyone have any information about what the Bahamas, or other Caribbean countries will do if a Registered Sex Offender wants to cruise with stops there?

My brother was caught urinating on side of a building when he was a freshman in college. So he was prosecuted for indecent exposure, even though the offense occurred in a back alley. Now, years later he remains on the registry.

Does anyone know if he can go on a Caribbean cruise?
MA
224 Posts
Joined Jan 2011
There may be differences between level 1,2,3..But the question is, do people lump them all together or do they consider each individual circumstances? Answer for me is, I lump them all together and don't want me or my family near any of them. You could argue that I'm ignorant, but I'm OK with that.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
14,321 Posts
Joined Sep 2002
Originally posted by sam620
Does anyone have any information about what the Bahamas, or other Caribbean countries will do if a Registered Sex Offender wants to cruise with stops there?

My brother was caught urinating on side of a building when he was a freshman in college. So he was prosecuted for indecent exposure, even though the offense occurred in a back alley. Now, years later he remains on the registry.

Does anyone know if he can go on a Caribbean cruise?

He should probably speak to an attorney about getting the conviction expunged. I am all for sex offender registries, but I feel that they go too far in some circumstances. Public urination is typically about as much of a sex offense as writing a bad check--obviously with some exceptions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Past Cruises...

Enosburg Falls, VT
19,512 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
Originally posted by sockmonkeygirl
There may be differences between level 1,2,3..But the question is, do people lump them all together or do they consider each individual circumstances? Answer for me is, I lump them all together and don't want me or my family near any of them. You could argue that I'm ignorant, but I'm OK with that.
I see a difference between urinating in public and rape, so I guess you could say I consider the circumstances.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Previous cruises:

NCL Dream CTN May 2008
NCL Sky Bahamas April 2009 http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...?EntryID=54257
NCL Sky Bahamas April 2010 http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...?EntryID=66539
CCL Pride Bahamas October 2012 http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...EntryID=110323
NCL Gem Bahamas May 2014 http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...EntryID=255699
CCL Fascination S. Caribbean October 2016 http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...EntryID=551888
CCL Glory W. Caribbean November 2017 https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberr...EntryID=600224
CCL Pride Bahamas February 2018 https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberr...EntryID=612050

US Navy, too many to count but included 4 Med cruises (totaling 21 months) 1975-1992

I cruise because that's where the ocean is.

It beats haze gray and underway any day!
23 Posts
Joined Oct 2017
Originally posted by beachbumznc
I would like to get other opinions on the subject of sex offenders taking cruises. My brother is a registered sex offender. He had to register because he gave his granddaughter a bath, she complained to her mom, my brothers ex daughter-in-law, and she made a huge deal about it. My brother couldn't afford an attorney and at the advice of a "public defender" took a plea of indecent liberties with a minor, a level 1 offense. He has been on several cruises since then, and I just wondered if everyone lumps all sex offenders in the same group. I have read some post on here in the past and it seems like a lot of people think ALL registered offenders are perverts or child molesters. Did you know you could be placed on the sex offender list if you are convicted of urinating in your own back yard and a minor saw you, even if you didn't know they were there? The list is ridiculous as to what you can be put on the sex offender registry for. If it was a true child molester, someone that actually got sexual pleasure from children and were convicted od the higher level crime, a 2 or a 3, I would not want to take a cruise with those people.
I would just like to know what other cruisers think
Hi there, I was just inquiring for the same thing. My husband is a Tier 1 and we booked a cruise and now wondering if it will be cancelled. Were you able to go? did you find out anything? I appreciate it.
2 Posts
Joined Nov 2017
My boyfriend, (level 1 prior of indecent exposure), and I booked a couples cruise (adults only). We were notified a week out that he would not be allowed to cruise. He is not only banned on that cruise, but all cruises. They had no more information for us. Just said that a global security company does the checks and tells them who is not approved. His one and only offense was 11 years ago. I didn't even think of it when we booked the cruise.
23 Posts
Joined Oct 2017
Originally posted by sparks1093
I see a difference between urinating in public and rape, so I guess you could say I consider the circumstances.
I use to be "that" ignorant person who thought a sex offender was all in the same until it hit me twice (my spouse and my friend's husband). I don't see how a 19 yr old who went out with a 15 yr old, broke up with her because he met my friend and she decides (little dumb girl) to tell mom and dad she was raped (just because he dumped her) when everyone in our group know they were going out but we thought she was older since she was hanging out all hours of the night with us in Chicago (this was 20 years ago) my friend and the guy have been happily married since they were 20 and now are 43 (lived thru hell because of him being registered). If you were to look at a registry and read them individually it is ridiculous how many teens are "sex offenders" even with just a 3 yr difference, people who are drunk or leave a nightclub and can't get to a restroom on time, decide to pee in a parking lot or somewhere where their are cameras or children nearby are also registered as a sex offender so NO not everyone in the registry should be in it, especially my husband who's ex went psycho when he started dating me so you are definitely "ignorant" or simply judgmental and I hope this never happens to you, your loved ones or children.
23 Posts
Joined Oct 2017
Originally posted by sockmonkeygirl
I use to be "that" ignorant person who thought a sex offender was all in the same until it hit me twice (my spouse and my friend's husband). I don't see how a 19 yr old who went out with a 15 yr old, broke up with her because he met my friend and she decides (little dumb girl) to tell mom and dad she was raped (just because he dumped her) when everyone in our group know they were going out but we thought she was older since she was hanging out all hours of the night with us in Chicago (this was 20 years ago) my friend and the guy have been happily married since they were 20 and now are 43 (lived thru hell because of him being registered). If you were to look at a registry and read them individually it is ridiculous how many teens are "sex offenders" even with just a 3 yr difference, people who are drunk or leave a nightclub and can't get to a restroom on time, decide to pee in a parking lot or somewhere where their are cameras or children nearby are also registered as a sex offender so NO not everyone in the registry should be in it, especially my husband who's ex went psycho when he started dating me so you are definitely "ignorant" or simply judgmental and I hope this never happens to you, your loved ones or children.
Pacific Northwest
96 Posts
Joined May 2010
Originally posted by Harlowcruise
My boyfriend, (level 1 prior of indecent exposure), and I booked a couples cruise (adults only). We were notified a week out that he would not be allowed to cruise. He is not only banned on that cruise, but all cruises. They had no more information for us. Just said that a global security company does the checks and tells them who is not approved. His one and only offense was 11 years ago. I didn't even think of it when we booked the cruise.
That's rough. I hope they fully refunded the cruise.

I guess I wouldn't be worried about someone on the registry on a cruise; at least not a Level I offender. Same as I wouldn't really be worried about someone with a non-violent felony in the past deciding to cruise.
Greenville, SC, USA
54,431 Posts
Joined Apr 2000
Most people do not hear the full story, and often are not given all the details. My feeling would be better safe than sorry.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Paul
GA
6 Posts
Joined Jun 2018
A high school classmate of mine is a registered sex offender after being in a (completely consensual) relationship with a girl that was 2 or 3 years younger than him. Her parents found out about it and didn't like that their daughter was in a relationship with someone of another race and had him arrested. Hardly a 'sex offender' that I would be worried about - and quite frankly wish he (and others of similar circumstances) shouldn't be on, as it dilutes the registry in my mind, which should be reserved for people that are or could be a threat to me or my family.

A level 1 sex offender - underage, urinating in public, whatever, wouldn't bother me at all. So it's a general question but one that would require layers of answers I feel like.