Silver Spirits Beverage Package Option

sabrefan

We are on the Star right now we have the package and we are enjoying all the wines. As soon as we sit at dinner we advise our waiter that we have the package and we get the wine list or a sommelier helps us with our choices. We get prompt service. At chefs table, the wines have been wonderful. When I didn't want the Port, it was replaced with my selection of choice. We have eaten 2 times in Chef table. Great food. The staff is wonderful they even were able to get us a table tonight even tho they were totally booked. If we didn't have the package it would have cost us 75.00 ea for the premium wines but it was free for us.

Thank you ebtrip ... that is good to know. Enjoy.

I am on the Sea doing a Transatlantic. I have the silver beverage package too. The white wine selection is good. Drinking Italian and French white wines at lunch and dinner. Pre dinner or after dinner cocktails , I love the lemon drop or classic gin martini. Torshavn does a perfect side car cocktail . Going to Chef table tonight for the first time so will experience their premium wine pairing. Even if you do not get the package, the prices of drinks and wine are reasonable compared to the prices they charged on Celebrity , my last cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It all sounds lovely! Can hardly wait.

If I remember right you are going on your first Viking cruise this summer.? I waited two years and this ship exceeds my expectations! Salud [emoji483][emoji485]as you do the countdown.

• 1 month later...
We are on the Star right now we have the package and we are enjoying all the wines. As soon as we sit at dinner we advise our waiter that we have the package and we get the wine list or a sommelier helps us with our choices. We get prompt service. At chefs table, the wines have been wonderful. When I didn't want the Port, it was replaced with my selection of choice. We have eaten 2 times in Chef table. Great food. The staff is wonderful they even were able to get us a table tonight even tho they were totally booked. If we didn't have the package it would have cost us 75.00 ea for the premium wines but it was free for us.

Is that $75 for one meal at Chef table restaurant? It sounds like the package is well worth it if one wants to do the wine pairing at Chef's table.

Is that $75 for one meal at Chef table restaurant? It sounds like the package is well worth it if one wants to do the wine pairing at Chef's table.

You don’t need the package to do wine pairings. The Chef’s Table offers either premium or included wines for its pairings. We had the included wines and thought they were the best of our cruise.

It was $25pp for the special wine pairings at Chef's Table. So if you go twice as couple it's $100.

The SS package would still not be worth it for us with our typical $60 or less bar bill but for fussier wine aficionados and daily cocktail drinkers who use Chef's table also, it's a win.

The package gave us opportunity to taste wines we would probably never even see. Chinese wine? Anyone? It’s interesting wine though I’m still not sure about it. I would definitely try it again to have a better opinion. We both glad we had the package.

Everyone is different but it’s easy to calculate. If each of you could drink 3 drinks a day including favorite soda, then you would come out even or a little ahead. It’s that simple.

The upgrade to premium is $25.00per person for chef table. We went 3 times..

We were also able to ask for a wine we had at the Chef table when we were in the MDR. They were all included in the SS beverage package.

I know that the SS package seems to be ever evolving. On a 2017 cruise we had very few choices for wines by the glass but they were better than the included.

Admittedly I became VERY spoiled on the the World Cruise. They did run out of favorites but could usually find a great alternative...we were able to enjoy a great many varieties...rumor had it that Viking had no idea that the passengers would consume so many bottles!!! Overstone's Sauvignon Blanc was GONE before we reached French Polynesia (first port of call after LA)! At one point we ran out of Bailey's ( I know it is not a wine)...re-provisioned ASAP!

If any of you are considering a WC...GO!!!

We will be on the Amazon trip in November and am wondering if the SS wine choices include more than 4 or 5 choices of red/white?

• 1 month later...

Any single-malt fans out there? What are the whisky options with the SS package on the Ocean cruises (specifically the Sun)?

I suppose I can take my own on board but would rather enjoy the bar service.

Thank you!

On the WC there were many Scotch options........not sure how many single malts but 2 that we enjoyed were Macallan's and Abelour. There did seem to be some difference from ship to ship but it may have been the difference of Viking switching brands.

On the WC there were many Scotch options........not sure how many single malts but 2 that we enjoyed were Macallan's and Abelour. There did seem to be some difference from ship to ship but it may have been the difference of Viking switching brands.
Thank you, I would enjoy those as well.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

Thank you Kath. So all those wines were included on the package, or were some by the bottle only? Appreciate you doing this very much

Only the ones listed with by the glass prices are included. You can buy a bottle and you get a discount. We did fine with the by the glass wines

Thanks Kath. I would think the offerings will vary by geographic sailings. I am fairly certain we will wait until we are on board so that we can see what will be offered in the Caribbean/Amazon. Whatever we decide I am sure we will totally enjoy!

Thanks Kath. I would think the offerings will vary by geographic sailings. I am fairly certain we will wait until we are on board so that we can see what will be offered in the Caribbean/Amazon. Whatever we decide I am sure we will totally enjoy!

Their drink package is quite comprehensive and yes reflects where you are sailing at the time. My SIL and BIL are going on the Amazon in Nov too. That looks like an awesome adventure. I love Viking Ocean - it is. class act.

We like SS offering this year much better than last. The wines are good to very good. Glenfiddich and Macallan. Good Armagnac and Cognac.

Correct me if I am wrong, but the SSBP states that it is good on any drink $15.00 or less. That would imply that the entire selection of Whisky/Whiskey, Vodka, Gin etc. under $15 per drink is covered. Is that the way it works or do they put out a covered list of drinks?

Correct me if I am wrong, but the SSBP states that it is good on any drink $15.00 or less. That would imply that the entire selection of Whisky/Whiskey, Vodka, Gin etc. under $15 per drink is covered. Is that the way it works or do they put out a covered list of drinks?

Yes any drink or contain $15.00 or less. I ordered martinis, mojito and a side car with cognac and they were covered. Just ask the bartendar. The price of drink are very reasonable compared to Celebrity for sure.

you gotta try hard to top the max' allowed …… A very $$ call brand ….. or a very $$ wine ……

most will never come close to the $ limit on a drink/glass

that said, they are not pouring cheap if you don't specify a brand either ….

this ain't Carnival!!!!!

I am SURE a scotch drinker will be here in minutes to tell me why I'm wrong ….

That's what scotch drinkers do ….

you gotta try hard to top the max' allowed …… A very $$ call brand ….. or a very $$ wine ……

this ain't Carnival!!!!!

They did have some "tastings' on board during our last cruise. They were $25 and up, so they would not be covered. Had a few drinks on board but certainly not enough to need a SSBP. If your drink is over $15 you will be charged the total price, no just the excess.

this ain't Carnival!!!!!

We get the SSBP comp on our cruise and don't anticipate being interested in any beverage over $15, unless it is a rather special Port.

However as a Scotsman, although I now reside in Canada, I couldn't resist commenting. While I don't drink Whisky now, I may have sampled more than a few in my teens and 20's, especially while working deep sea.

Never tried Whisky from other countries and my preference was always single malts or Chivas, rather than younger blended Whisky. However, the price was never the determining factor, for me it was non peat.

While we haven't sailed on Viking yet, I have suspect they probably have some reasonable Whisky (15 or 18 yr old single malts) that are included in the SSBP .

So as a Scotsman and former Whisky drinker, I would not expect to experience an issue with the SSBP, if I wanted to order a Whisky. My dad still has a wee tot daily and I doubt he would have a problem with the selection.

Their drink package is quite comprehensive and yes reflects where you are sailing at the time. My SIL and BIL are going on the Amazon in Nov too. That looks like an awesome adventure. I love Viking Ocean - it is. class act.

We are very much looking forward to the Amazon trip. Maybe you can join SIL & BIL? As far as wines go, it won’t be as easy to pick up nice wines in the ports on this itinerary as it is in other regions, so the SSBP will be more of an incentive than in the past. :D

Heidi13 - Thanks for the smile about the wee tot and the wiskey. I believe that You will very much enjoy Viking.

Terri, Maybe I should pay for some extra baggage/cost of wine for you to bring some GOOD California wines. I would be a happy camper and it might be less expensive than the package. However, on our previous cruises I did love going to the Explorer's Lounge and having a GREAT cocktail that I would never order at home!!!