5 Reasons to book a balcony...

Cabin Selection Tips
Help on how to choose a cabin on a cruise ship.

How To Choose A Cabin from Cruise Critic
Offer up your opinions on selecting the best cabin.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 10:56 AM.
3,608 Posts
Joined Feb 2001
Originally posted by ray8905
Your dad philosophy is awesome.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Forums mobile app
Thanks for the kind words ,and yes, I STILL do that today..my wife & I may not go out to dinner as much as others do, but our vacations & cruises we take are so worth it! Next up- RCI Harmony Of The Seas in November ( West Caribb), RCI Anthem Of The Seas 9 night Canada/ New England Sept 2019, and the biggie...for our 25th wedding anniversary: Hawaii on NCL's Pride Of America, May 2020...I am semi retired now, wife works full time, but these trips cost $$.. rather splurge on a nice balcony cabin, great food, shows, beaches, sunsets on the balcony sipping a Mai Tai more than dinner at the local joint Sat night...so we go out once in a while, where 10 years ago, it was 3 out of 4 Sat nights in a month..Dad taught me well!!

Big Al
Big Valley, Ca
183 Posts
Joined Nov 2003
I have to say I definitely prefer balconies. Our first cruise was on the MS Southward-I think that was it with 2 portholes. I had to look out. 2nd was on the Carnival Jubilee with square windows next two cruises were also with windows then balconies ever since. There is nothing like looking down at the water and seeing the Bio-luminescent glow as the ship churns the water, Also, nothing more relaxing to me then sitting out on the balcony with a beer watching cloud to cloud or cloud to water lightening way off in the distance.
JAY and KATHY, Texas
155 Posts
Joined Jun 2018
Me too!! What is a hump cabin??
Ref balconies, we plan to book interior after Sept, only due to financial constraints. If i don't make the downgrade, my partner will hold us to fewer cruises. He's the financial planner.
122 Posts
Joined Jun 2015
I chimed in a while back about my love of balconies. My upcoming cruise in September is a 4 day so I opted for an oceanview instead. However, in 2019 I have my first aft wrap-around leaving out of New Orleans and am sooo looking forward to that to be sure.
3,608 Posts
Joined Feb 2001
Originally posted by jerseymermaid
I'm a novice here, can you tell me what a hump cabin is please?
A hump cabin is the cabin that sticks out a bit on the ship..if you look at a picture of say, the Oasis, or RCI Freedom Of The Seas, you will see cabins that "stick out" a bit more..those are called "hump" or "bump" cabins..they are great because 1) they have unobstructed views on both sides, and 2) tend to be slightly bigger in SF...I try & get them all the time...

Big Al
3,608 Posts
Joined Feb 2001
Originally posted by DeesEscape
I chimed in a while back about my love of balconies. My upcoming cruise in September is a 4 day so I opted for an oceanview instead. However, in 2019 I have my first aft wrap-around leaving out of New Orleans and am sooo looking forward to that to be sure.
Wrap arounds are super!
3,608 Posts
Joined Feb 2001
Originally posted by RocHed11
I have to say I definitely prefer balconies. Our first cruise was on the MS Southward-I think that was it with 2 portholes. I had to look out. 2nd was on the Carnival Jubilee with square windows next two cruises were also with windows then balconies ever since. There is nothing like looking down at the water and seeing the Bio-luminescent glow as the ship churns the water, Also, nothing more relaxing to me then sitting out on the balcony with a beer watching cloud to cloud or cloud to water lightening way off in the distance.
Agree 100%..if we can't afford a balcony we don't cruise till we can...
North Alabama
126 Posts
Joined Oct 2012
Originally posted by DeesEscape
Are you an Ncl aft pent house?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Ray
3,608 Posts
Joined Feb 2001
Originally posted by pepperbr
Our very first cruise is coming up in 4 weeks. Just curious about the references to a "hump cabin." What is that?
A hump cabin is the cabin that sticks out a bit on the ship..if you look at a picture of say, the Oasis, or RCI Freedom Of The Seas, you will see cabins that "stick out" a bit more..those are called "hump" or "bump" cabins..they are great because 1) they have unobstructed views on both sides, and 2) tend to be slightly bigger in SF...I try & get them all the time...

Big Al
USA
5,934 Posts
Joined May 2012
Originally posted by pepperbr
Our very first cruise is coming up in 4 weeks. Just curious about the references to a "hump cabin." What is that?
We had a "hump" balcony on one of our cruises. I'll insert a link below that will take you to my wife's slideshow of that cabin with the hump balcony.

There are several pictures of the balcony including the end of the slideshow which shows a couple of pictures she took from the tender looking up at the balcony. It gives you a better view of the bump out shape.

Happy Travels wherever you go. Cruising is a fantastic way to travel and see the world.

http://nancysoasis.com/2012OS/2012OS.html

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Forums mobile app
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
View my wife's cruise slide shows on her website Nancy's Oasis and individual links below.

2017 14 day Panama Canal Transit Holland America Westerdam
2016 Christmas Liberty of the Seas
2016 14 day Alaska Maasdam
2015 Christmas Adventure of the Seas
2014 Christmas Island Princess ~ Partial Panama Canal
2013 Christmas Adventure of the Seas ~ So.Caribbean
2012 Christmas Mariner of the Seas ~ W.Caribbean
2012 Radiance of the Seas ~ Alaska Southbound
2011 Christmas Mariner of the Seas ~ W. Caribbean
2011 Carnival Ecstasy ~ Western Caribbean
2011 Carnival Ecstasy Penthouse Suite Visit from the Upsell Fairy - 916 sq ft of paradise!

2011 Carnival Conquest ~ Eastern Caribbean
2010 Caribbean Princess ~ NE/Canada Upgrade Fairy Visit FREE PH Suite
2009 Star Princess ~ Alaska Inside Passage
2008 Christmas Carnival Ecstasy ~ Western Caribbean
2007 Carnival Conquest ~ Western Caribbean
Conneticut River Valley
467 Posts
Joined Oct 2014
I wonder what a submariner chooses for accommodations when booking a cruise? My guess is it wouldn't be an inside cabin? Sixteen pages of posts and no one has mentioned cruising on a sub. If anyone out there has worn the Dolphins - thanks for your service.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
RMS Queen Mary
RMS Queen Elisabeth
SS Catalina
SS United States
Stockholm
QE2
QM2
Rotterdam (#5)
Statendam
Sea Goddess I
Mermoz
Canberra
Royal Danish Training ship Danmark
Royal Viking Sea
M/S Southward
M/S Sunward
Seaborne Pride
Seaborne Legend
Crystal Symphony
Windstar Pride
Windstar Legend
Pacific Princess
Viking River Truvar (Russia)
Viking River Jarl (Danube)
Azamara Journey
Washington
11 Posts
Joined Oct 2013
Newbie question -- what is a "hump cabin?"

We are embarking on our 5th cruise come January and I didn't even think about any cabin that didn't have balcony attached to it when booking. Even sweeter was the fact that without knowing at the time, I was setting us up in a "hump" cabin as well to which I'm very much looking forward too.
3,608 Posts
Joined Feb 2001
Originally posted by IRMO12HD
Newbie question -- what is a "hump cabin?"

We are embarking on our 5th cruise come January and I didn't even think about any cabin that didn't have balcony attached to it when booking. Even sweeter was the fact that without knowing at the time, I was setting us up in a "hump" cabin as well to which I'm very much looking forward too.
A "hump" cabin is a cabin that sticks out a bit more than the others..some ships don't have straight lines from front to back and you can see parts of the cabins "sticking out"..those are called "hump" or "bump" cabins..better views and sometimes slightly bigger balconies..you will love it!!

Big Al
USA
5,934 Posts
Joined May 2012
We've been in hump cabins and really enjoyed them. They were larger and hadwas great views. We even had breakfast since the weather was nice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Forums mobile app
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
View my wife's cruise slide shows on her website Nancy's Oasis and individual links below.

2017 14 day Panama Canal Transit Holland America Westerdam
2016 Christmas Liberty of the Seas
2016 14 day Alaska Maasdam
2015 Christmas Adventure of the Seas
2014 Christmas Island Princess ~ Partial Panama Canal
2013 Christmas Adventure of the Seas ~ So.Caribbean
2012 Christmas Mariner of the Seas ~ W.Caribbean
2012 Radiance of the Seas ~ Alaska Southbound
2011 Christmas Mariner of the Seas ~ W. Caribbean
2011 Carnival Ecstasy ~ Western Caribbean
2011 Carnival Ecstasy Penthouse Suite Visit from the Upsell Fairy - 916 sq ft of paradise!

2011 Carnival Conquest ~ Eastern Caribbean
2010 Caribbean Princess ~ NE/Canada Upgrade Fairy Visit FREE PH Suite
2009 Star Princess ~ Alaska Inside Passage
2008 Christmas Carnival Ecstasy ~ Western Caribbean
2007 Carnival Conquest ~ Western Caribbean
464 Posts
Joined Jan 2011
I am a little weird but I like obstructed balconies a lot.

I try to pick one that is either between lifeboats or the obstruction is caused by ship’s superstructure. Seeing lifeboats and superstructure lets me know I am on a ship.

I live on a high rise condo by the ocean and I already have ocean view and city view from home everyday. I want to feel I am on a ship when I am cruising.