Transportation in London

scmexico

We will be in London post cruise for 3 nights. We are arriving from Rome at Heathrow. I want to do the HOHO bus for one day and hopefully use public transport to return to areas I want to explore further. What are my best public transportation options? We will depart from LHR on the 4th day.

We will be in London post cruise for 3 nights. We are arriving from Rome at Heathrow. I want to do the HOHO bus for one day and hopefully use public transport to return to areas I want to explore further. What are my best public transportation options? We will depart from LHR on the 4th day.

The London Underground. Possibly the most comprehensive subway system in the world. Buy an "Oyster Card", which is a prepaid, discount card, and it's really the only way to get around

full details at http://www.tfl.gov.uk/

Travelcard v Oyster card is very complex. Oyster is guaranteed to be cheaper than Travelcard on an adult, transport only basis.

But if you have kids, are staying 5 days or more, or are visiting the major paying attractions then Travelcard may be better.

The Travelcard 2 for 1 deals for example, not available with Oyster include one of the HOHO buses, but its not 2 for 1, but has 2 for 1 for admissions to places like the Tower of London.

If you read the article below, you'll see what is best for you.

Travelcard v Oyster

I also tend to use the Tube when in London to go almost anywhere, but it's wise to keep up to date on construction projects on the lines. Their website usually updates this information weekly. You will find out what lines are not running between what stations; there are often weekend closures. Work may also close a particular station or just close the escalators or elevators at a station. This occured to me on my last trip; I had to haul my suitcases up the stairs at Kings Cross! And lastly occasionally there are short strikes that will close down the whole system for a day or so--those unfortunately are not often accounced too far in advance.

I do recommend the express trains from Heathrow or Gatwick--both are great for getting into London quickly and then you can transfer to the underground.

I do recommend the express trains from Heathrow or Gatwick--both are great for getting into London quickly and then you can transfer to the underground.

Its worth mentioning that though the Heathrow Express is a great service its very expensive. If there are 2 or more of you once you have factored in getting from Paddington to your hotel its often cheaper to get a prebooked taxi from someone like Simply Airports or Just Airports

Its worth mentioning that though the Heathrow Express is a great service its very expensive. If there are 2 or more of you once you have factored in getting from Paddington to your hotel its often cheaper to get a prebooked taxi from someone like Simply Airports or Just Airports

Likewise the regular train service from Gatwick gives you more choice (such as London Bridge instead of Victoria), at half the price. The penalty? it takes a few minutes longer

Is the oyster card good for transport from LHR to Paddington. We are staying near Paddington. I planned to use heathrow connect which is significantly less than Heathrow Express. Is that a good idea.

Is the oyster card good for transport from LHR to Paddington. We are staying near Paddington. I planned to use heathrow connect which is significantly less than Heathrow Express. Is that a good idea.

The Oyster card is not valid on Heathrow Connect https://www.heathrowconnect.com/content.asp?SID={DEB77F21-C6E0-46A0-9493-9815DFF15548}&pageid=30

Can you pay in pounds when you board a bus or must you use the travel card/oyster card?

You cannot pay by cash on the bus in Central London - you can buy tickets at the stop. Get an Oyster Card - 2 or 3 journeys and you have covered the deposit and then you are 'quids in' as we Brits say!

http://www.ukstudentlife.com/Travel/Transport/London/Buses.htm#Tickets

I just returned from London and we used the Oyster card exclusively for our daily transportation around London. The first day we arrived at Heathrow we went to the Underground ticket office and bought Oyster cards. I had typed up a list of all the trips (including peak vs. non-peak travel time) we planned to take on the tube prior to our trip down to Harwich for our Baltic cruise. I handed it to the agent and he was able to quote me to the pound, how much I needed to load on the Oyster card. We used it on our return trip, after our cruise, to get us from Liverpool Street station back to Heathrow. We then returned to the underground ticket office at Heathrow and received our 3 pound deposit minus the 20 pence we had gone over!

We never had to stand in line at the tube and found the Oyster card the best invention almost since sliced bread!

traveling Kathy

Don't forget the option of using the normal buses. Much cheaper than HOHO buses (so long as you use either a pre-pay Oyster or a Travelcard), and you see much more of the city than when on the Tube.

I totally agree. Unless you are traveling a great distance, the bus system is far better IMHO since one can see things besides tunnel walls and stations. There is a simple map on the TFL site that shows major bus lines and which goes by what attraction.

Cheers

The London Underground. Possibly the most comprehensive subway system in the world. Buy an "Oyster Card", which is a prepaid, discount card, and it's really the only way to get around

full details at http://www.tfl.gov.uk/

Agree 100% on how wonderful is the Underground in London. This massive city is so sprawling and large that you really to need to use this great rail option to get around. The multiple day pass is an excellent value if you are going to do much around within this super city.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

The Tube is a good way to travel if you have to be somewhere in a hurry. But for a tourist, I find that the regular buses are better because you get to sight-see as well. I am fond of finding a route and then riding it to the end. But that's if I have lots of time, which fortunately, I do.

MInd the gap.

The Tube is a good way to travel if you have to be somewhere in a hurry. But for a tourist, I find that the regular buses are better because you get to sight-see as well. I am fond of finding a route and then riding it to the end. But that's if I have lots of time, which fortunately, I do.

MInd the gap.

Bus number 11 is probably the best for taking in the sights. It runs from Fulham Broadway to Liverpool Street via Victoria and takes in Westminster, St. Pauls etc..

Sit on the top deck,

A Londoners little secret for you all!

As an older woman who has trouble going down stairs, I find buses MUCH easier to use. Much! I keep my Oyster card from trip to trip and reload it as needed.

I have a lot of trouble with the "Mind the Gap" situations on the tube and don't move fast enough to function in rush hour conditions.

The bus drivers are generally great and sometimes are great fun. Tommy the Bus on #11 not only looked out for this old woman but gave me plenty of time to get on the bus and to get off again.

The metro is by far your best option for transportation, there is also cabs but personally I find them exorbitantly priced.

What is the best/economical way to get from LHR to Paddington? I assume you will say the tube. However the cost is offset by the time. What are the thoughts on this?

Best is a subjective thing but if you want the cheapest, the Tube is the answer. I think the London Connect train service is the optimum choice for me.

One thing to consider is the ease of travel if you are coming from the States and suffer jet lag to a greater extent. In that case, one cannot beat the Heathrow Express for convenience and ease of travel.

Cheers

What is the best/economical way to get from LHR to Paddington? I assume you will say the tube. However the cost is offset by the time.
If you are going specifically to Paddington, then the only real choices are Heathrow Express for speed and Heathrow Connect for economy. The Tube from Heathrow to Paddington involves at least one change, and more than one if you want to avoid luggage-unfriendly changes.

But if you are going anywhere else in London, then the answer will depend on where you're going.

We will have a 13 hour layover at Heathrow and would like to "get out of the airport". Hopefully we will just have one small carryon each.

We have been to London before and just want to sit back and take in the scenery, no museums and minumum walking. Any suggestions on what to do for that short a time and are there lockers for our carryons at the airport?

Archived