Port of Greenwich to London Eye

mushroom

Our ship will overnight in Greenwich and we would like to go to the London Eye...preferable in the evening. What is the best way to get there? If it's taxi, what would be an educated guess as to cost? I know it's daylight in London much later than here on the East Coast, so what is a good time to go to see the city lights from the Eye? Are taxis readily available at the port in Greenwich? I surely will appreciate your help with these questions...my traveling companions are counting on me to make this work! Thanks.

Our ship will overnight in Greenwich and we would like to go to the London Eye...preferable in the evening. What is the best way to get there? If it's taxi, what would be an educated guess as to cost? I know it's daylight in London much later than here on the East Coast, so what is a good time to go to see the city lights from the Eye? Are taxis readily available at the port in Greenwich? I surely will appreciate your help with these questions...my traveling companions are counting on me to make this work! Thanks.

Train; from Greenwich Station (GNW) to London Waterloo East (WAE). Takes 18 minutes and costs GBP2.40

http://nationalrail.co.uk/

Both are a short walk from the docks/London Eye

Another way to do it is by river. Thames Clipper run from Greenwich Pier to Waterloo Pier (under the Eye!). £5 single. No return as such that I could find online, but a Roamer ticket (for a day) is £12. You could probably buy a return ticket at the pier. http://www.thamesclippers.com/

Journey takes about 40 mins each way.

Simon

Wow Simon....even better! Thanks so much. Now we have two excellent choices...might go one way by water and one way by rail.

You may need to check the riverboat times carefully - the 'transport' ones (as opposed to the 'party' ones) stop running at about 6pm usually.

Upriver by boat and back down by train sounds like a workable plan.

I know it's daylight in London much later than here on the East Coast, so what is a good time to go to see the city lights from the Eye?
I'd suggest this site to get sunrise/sunset times.
Now we have two excellent choices...might go one way by water and one way by rail.
You may need to check the riverboat times carefully - the 'transport' ones (as opposed to the 'party' ones) stop running at about 6pm usually.
I'd definitely go by river both ways. The train is distinctly unexciting.

Good news: the Thames Clippers now run (just) beyond midnight every night. Timetables available here.

• 1 month later...

One of the highlights of our visit to London two weeks ago, was taking one of the river cruises from Greenwich to Westminster. We had the luck to take the last trip of the day at sunset. Absolutely magnificent! The train might be quicker, but this is one time I would suggest that quicker is not better. Take the cruise, sit back, relax and enjoy.

Spot on, Mea :)

I live in London and have cruised the Thames from Greenwich many times. It's a beautiful trip and it opens you up to the energy of London. While you are in Greenwich I recommend a visit to the Royal Observatory, home of Greenwich mean time ( GMT). As you are on a cruise you might also want to read this fascinating book: Longitude by Dava Sobel

http://nobeliefs.com/sobel.htm

It sounds very scientific, but it's actually a real page-turner. Greenwich, which is a picturesque part of London steeped in maritime history is central to the story. :)

Archived