LIVE FROM - 9/20/17 Island Princess Coastal, Panama and More Panama

ccrain

Here we go again. Vancouver to LA, LA to LA and then LA to FLL.

Although we've done Panama before, we are joining friends on the LA to FLL run and quite frankly, 15 days just doesn't excite us anymore. So we thought we'd hop on the prior 19 day R/T out of LA and then we thought, WTH, let's start in YVR and get an extra cruise credit out of the bunch. Besides, we need the time to get some R&R. (More on that later.)

So after a hectic day of not traveling very far, very fast - two flights shot out from underneath us and a host of re-bookings, we did finally arrive in YVR and taxi'ed over the Hampton Inn near the airport. Planning on taxi'ing to the port sometime after noon. Thought about the Skytrain, but with luggage its just too much of a pain.

Up and working this morning, good night's sleep, ready to re-pack the bags for shipboard arrival - liquids can go back in the carry-on now. Sucking down that Hampton Robust coffee!

More later!

Here we go again. Vancouver to LA, LA to LA and then LA to FLL.

Although we've done Panama before, we are joining friends on the LA to FLL run and quite frankly, 15 days just doesn't excite us anymore. So we thought we'd hop on the prior 19 day R/T out of LA and then we thought, WTH, let's start in YVR and get an extra cruise credit out of the bunch. Besides, we need the time to get some R&R. (More on that later.)

So after a hectic day of not traveling very far, very fast - two flights shot out from underneath us and a host of re-bookings, we did finally arrive in YVR and taxi'ed over the Hampton Inn near the airport. Planning on taxi'ing to the port sometime after noon. Thought about the Skytrain, but with luggage its just too much of a pain.

Up and working this morning, good night's sleep, ready to re-pack the bags for shipboard arrival - liquids can go back in the carry-on now. Sucking down that Hampton Robust coffee!

More later!

Bon Voyage

09/21/2017 At Sea to LA

This cruise takes us on ashort 3 day coastal to LA with no stops. Then we are on for the 19 day R/TPanama Canal with the 2 day Panama Canal experience. After that we do a 15Panama Canal from LA to FLL.

We stayed at the Hampton Innnear the airport. It is very convenient to the Skytrain station – BUT there isgravel sidewalks on the way which makes dragging luggage a real pain. So wetook a shuttle to the port. Arrived at around 1200 and basically walked/ranthrough the entire embarkation process and was on the ship within 15 minutes.Our luggage arrived about 30 minutes later and by 1330 we were completelysettled. Not bad.

We haven’t been on the Islandsince 2006 and have been sailing Grands and Super Grands for the past 11 yearsand MAN AM I LOST ON THIS SHIP! I have been turned around a lot. But we have afew days to sort this out.

I have not had time to explorethe dry dock changes yet. The new HC layout is spacious, but at the cost oftable seating. Very crowded aisles in the seating area. The new dessert bar ispretty cool. At peak times the HC will still be confusing due to the stationlayout with people crossing paths and exiting through the entrance and viceversa.

So far the most disappointingis the pizza from the pizzeria. It was terrible and I typically like the pizza.The pepperoni toppings had a very weird after taste and an immediate acidreaction in my stomach. One bit and that was it for me. Fortunately the HC hada really good selection of salads and other items like a Thai fish cake thatwas really good.

Unlike other YVR departures,the deck party was rockin. Callie Smit is the CD and Mike Witte is the ED. Butwe have two cruise staff we’ve sailed with before. Amparo and Walter. Both willbe on till we leave. Both are a hoot to sail with. In fact, we have Zumba withAmparo at 0900 this morning.

No coffee at the Patisserie until0600 this morning. But gotta go and get ready for Tai Chi at Sea!

Later…

Wow! Sounds like a really nice vacation cruise!

Thanks for sharing.

I will be following as we are planning on going on the Island in April 2018 doing the LA to LA via Panama Canal.

Curious how the Patisserie is on the Island as I'm a big International Café fan.

Following...

09/21/2017 At Sea to LA

This cruise takes us on ashort 3 day coastal to LA with no stops. Then we are on for the 19 day R/TPanama Canal with the 2 day Panama Canal experience. After that we do a 15Panama Canal from LA to FLL.

We stayed at the Hampton Innnear the airport. It is very convenient to the Skytrain station – BUT there isgravel sidewalks on the way which makes dragging luggage a real pain. So wetook a shuttle to the port. Arrived at around 1200 and basically walked/ranthrough the entire embarkation process and was on the ship within 15 minutes.Our luggage arrived about 30 minutes later and by 1330 we were completelysettled. Not bad.

We haven’t been on the Islandsince 2006 and have been sailing Grands and Super Grands for the past 11 yearsand MAN AM I LOST ON THIS SHIP! I have been turned around a lot. But we have afew days to sort this out.

I have not had time to explorethe dry dock changes yet. The new HC layout is spacious, but at the cost oftable seating. Very crowded aisles in the seating area. The new dessert bar ispretty cool. At peak times the HC will still be confusing due to the stationlayout with people crossing paths and exiting through the entrance and viceversa.

So far the most disappointingis the pizza from the pizzeria. It was terrible and I typically like the pizza.The pepperoni toppings had a very weird after taste and an immediate acidreaction in my stomach. One bit and that was it for me. Fortunately the HC hada really good selection of salads and other items like a Thai fish cake thatwas really good.

Unlike other YVR departures,the deck party was rockin. Callie Smit is the CD and Mike Witte is the ED. Butwe have two cruise staff we’ve sailed with before. Amparo and Walter. Both willbe on till we leave. Both are a hoot to sail with. In fact, we have Zumba withAmparo at 0900 this morning.

No coffee at the Patisserie until0600 this morning. But gotta go and get ready for Tai Chi at Sea!

Later…

Fun!! Have a great cruise!! We will be on the Island in 2019 :) A long ways away, but it's been 14 (?) years since we were on the Coral (never on the Island). No memory of what the ship is like. So, I understand the need to relearn the layout. :)

Hope you have a great cruise and looking forward to your updates.

Thanks for posting along the way. :)

9/22/2017

The coffee klatch for theupcoming cruises are to be held in the Patisserie on deck 5. Plenty of seatingroom. But, it does not open till 0600. In fact, nothing opens until 0530 up inthe HC. Bummer. Working with no coffee sucks…

We tried out Alfredo’s yesterday.Brilliant idea. Use Sabatini’s for lunch pizza and turn it into Alfredo’s. Andnobody knows about it. Uncrowded, quiet, nice seating. The pizza was reallygood, especially when compared to the stuff from the top deck the day before,but the crust still needs a bit more salt. Topping were great. Order the Zenpizza – the vegetarian with ham on top! (One with everything!)

Tried out Tai Chi at sea.Interesting. Will probably do a bit more later. Now I have to concentrate ongetting some work done for the next 5 days. Big transition from Tai Chi toZumba! With the Universe Lounge missing we had to use the Wheelhouse bar. Notvery conducive to Zumba or Tai Chi. I certainly miss the Universe Lounge…GladPrincess decided to not ‘reconfigure’ the Coral as well.

Very disappointed in the Elite Lounge. They still have thesingle drink of the day special for $6.50, but the snacks have degraded.Limited supplies that run out quickly and people have to stand in line waitingfor plates or veggies or the ‘main’ attraction. Its in the back section of theExplorer’s lounge. Maybe it will pick up on the next cruise.

In lieu of a Most Traveled party we got a free dinner atBayou Café and two free drinks! I have to say, and Judy agrees, that thehalibut, which they will not have on the next cruise, and the lobster were thebest prepared and freshest we can remember anywhere! Wow! Service wasfantastic. The steak (Porterhouse) – so so – a little tough, lots of fat andgristle, needed a bit more char on the grill marks and a bit more seasoning.Texas Roadhouse ribeye’s ate better.

Dancing is more restricted on this cruise with the loss ofthe Universe Lounge, but the larger wheelhouse and Explorer’s Lounge dancefloor almost make up for it. The party band is Solutions and they are verygood. Lots of R&R selections. We were able to mix between foxtrots, nightclub,cha-cha and merengue with not a lot of repetition. They do like their Santanathough! The band in the wheelhouse is a quartet – NICE! And they do a mix ofballroom dance music as well.

Well back to work and off to coffee in about 30 minutes…

Later!

9/22/2017

The coffee klatch for theupcoming cruises are to be held in the Patisserie on deck 5. Plenty of seatingroom. But, it does not open till 0600. In fact, nothing opens until 0530 up inthe HC. Bummer. Working with no coffee sucks…

We tried out Alfredo’s yesterday.Brilliant idea. Use Sabatini’s for lunch pizza and turn it into Alfredo’s. Andnobody knows about it. Uncrowded, quiet, nice seating. The pizza was reallygood, especially when compared to the stuff from the top deck the day before,but the crust still needs a bit more salt. Topping were great. Order the Zenpizza – the vegetarian with ham on top! (One with everything!)

Tried out Tai Chi at sea.Interesting. Will probably do a bit more later. Now I have to concentrate ongetting some work done for the next 5 days. Big transition from Tai Chi toZumba! With the Universe Lounge missing we had to use the Wheelhouse bar. Notvery conducive to Zumba or Tai Chi. I certainly miss the Universe Lounge…GladPrincess decided to not ‘reconfigure’ the Coral as well.

Very disappointed in the Elite Lounge. They still have thesingle drink of the day special for $6.50, but the snacks have degraded.Limited supplies that run out quickly and people have to stand in line waitingfor plates or veggies or the ‘main’ attraction. Its in the back section of theExplorer’s lounge. Maybe it will pick up on the next cruise.

In lieu of a Most Traveled party we got a free dinner atBayou Café and two free drinks! I have to say, and Judy agrees, that thehalibut, which they will not have on the next cruise, and the lobster were thebest prepared and freshest we can remember anywhere! Wow! Service wasfantastic. The steak (Porterhouse) – so so – a little tough, lots of fat andgristle, needed a bit more char on the grill marks and a bit more seasoning.Texas Roadhouse ribeye’s ate better.

Dancing is more restricted on this cruise with the loss ofthe Universe Lounge, but the larger wheelhouse and Explorer’s Lounge dancefloor almost make up for it. The party band is Solutions and they are verygood. Lots of R&R selections. We were able to mix between foxtrots, nightclub,cha-cha and merengue with not a lot of repetition. They do like their Santanathough! The band in the wheelhouse is a quartet – NICE! And they do a mix ofballroom dance music as well.

Well back to work and off to coffee in about 30 minutes…

Later!

So glad to see that there is Tai Chi. Is it a DVD or a live teacher?

I just got off the Island and am waiting for my flight at LAX. Disembarkation was the easiest I've ever had and actually quite pleasant.

I totally agree that the pizza from the pizzeria was terrible. I remember Princess pizza being great so I'm not sure what happened ...

I liked the ship generally, especially walking around the Promenade deck and sitting in the loungers. Was disappointed in the fitness center-it's stuck in the middle aft so no windows.