Rented a Car in Halifax!

kpgibbs

I will be in Halifax on October 12th I have already rented a car. I kind of want to get away from the touristy stuff. What is a must see? I love the small fishing towns and stuff like that. I know I won't be able to get away from all the tourist stuff, but I want to see some local flair.

That's about as touristy you can get in Nova Scotia, but worth the stop.

If you don't want to go there and continue to Lunenburg (gorgeous coastal route) you can go the other way on road 207 and hug the shoreline as far as you have time to go

I will be in Halifax on October 12th I have already rented a car. I kind of want to get away from the touristy stuff. What is a must see? I love the small fishing towns and stuff like that. I know I won't be able to get away from all the tourist stuff, but I want to see some local flair.

Peggy's Cove is worth seeing but the towns around there will be dramatically less touristy and in some cases completely free of tourists even in the summer. Chester is very pretty if affluent and Blandford and the drive to it would fit your bill. Herring Cove to Sambro could also be of interest. The 207 mentioned above will be even more authentic in the sense of less gentrified.

• 3 weeks later...

i'm renting a car as well. what fun sites between halifax and peggys cove will i find? my gf really likes lighthouses. is it worth taking the 'long way around' to get back to port and what would i see? we get in at 10 am so i'm assuming until i get the car and drive it will be 1130. besides what is at the cove any recommendations to/from peggys cove for eating?

i have a bone to pick with the lighthouse signs coming back from st martin. i drove 15 min and didnt see one down that road. sigh! gave up. dont put an arrow and a lighthouse and then just leave us hanging. gps wasnt working there either. so i couldnt check things out.

separately:

saint john: walked slowly 20 min to enterprise. they were open before 8. i think with the ipad checkin it took maybe 3 minutes until i was driving away. 60 bucks plus i used 9 in gas. got a kia. beat everyone out to st martin. just 2 people there before us!

halifax, dirt cheap hertz sucks but is nice. its literally a closet they work out of. only 2 people in front of us but the old guy behind the counter is slow and a bit too social. the line behind me got pretty big. i think in there 25 minutes but for 35 bucks we got what we paid for. a cheap rental close to the dock. was nice to have the freedom to stay at peggys cove longer. 1230 it really empties out with the buses. had a blast on the rocks.

loved the freedom and waze took us where we wanted to go. i recommend ATT prepaid for international use if you dont already have ATT. good signal from rogers up there.

i have no idea why hertz is so cheap but all other places were at least double or triple that amount.

Fisherman's Cove has a backdrop of a container port and not very authentic even though it is an old fishing port.

I like the other suggestions above.

Here is a document which we are working on to help cruise visitors: http://*******/2wJOjW3

Maryann, your link doesn't work. Does it have one of those words CC doesn't like? The document you are putting together sounds like it would really help those of us looking for something different.

i have a bone to pick with the lighthouse signs coming back from st martin. i drove 15 min and didnt see one down that road. sigh! gave up. dont put an arrow and a lighthouse and then just leave us hanging. gps wasnt working there either. so i couldnt check things out.

Those signs are not directing you to a lighthouse they are for the “Fundy Coastal Drive”. There are no lighthouses between Saint John and St. Martins. There is a large lighthouse past Mispec Beach at the end of Red Head Rd. in Saint John called Cape Spencer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...