Roundtrip Crossings

jaycruises

I noticed that Cunard is showing a lot of Roundtrip crossings on the QM2. I wonder why someone would book that? Now we are real cruisers and that might appeal to us.

We're going on the M929B 9/15/19 to 10/4/19. It's two separate crossings with two separate days in Southampton, one day in Hamburg, and one day in Le havre (you can visit Normandy, Paris, etc.) and the National Symphony will play two performances! We can avoid flying overseas and will explore three cities/areas for the first time. I really enjoyed the NY to Southampton crossing on the QE2.

• 3 weeks later...
Yes, Cunard will offer shore excursions from Southampton for passengers continuing on the round trip back to New York. Here is a link to a page on Cunard's web site showing a list of the possible shore excursions that might be offered from Southampton.

http://www.cunard.com/destinations/british-isles-cruises/england/southampton/

Be advised that Cunard most likely will not offer all of those listed excursions. The specific excursions that will be offered on your voyage should show up in your voyage personaliser approximately 12 weeks prior to your departure date.

Just to give you a couple data points from crossings we did a few years ago, in November 2015 Cunard offered excursions to Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Beaulieu. In August 2016 they offered the excursions to Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Winchester.

Regards, John

Following up on my earlier post to provide another data point about Cunard shore excursions from Southampton. Our upcoming 21-day round trip voyage from New York on QM2 in June 2018 (including a voyage to Norway) will have two days in Southampton (17 June and 24 June). For both of those days, Cunard is offering the following Southampton shore excursions in our Voyage Personaliser.

Cathedral City of Winchester

Prehistoric Stonehenge

Royal Windsor Castle

Bombay Sapphire Distillery

Half day and full day private car/minivan tours of Southampton

Full day private car/minivan tours of London

When the excursions were first posted on Voyage Personaliser a couple weeks ago, there was also a listing for the "Southampton Titanic Trail" excursion, but that has since disappeared. The description for that excursion states "Your walking tour begins at Ocean Terminal". We are actually scheduled to be docking at the QEII terminal, so I wonder if that may have had something to do with that particular tour no longer being offered on our voyage.

Regards, John

.. there was also a listing for the "Southampton Titanic Trail" excursion, but that has since disappeared. The description for that excursion states "Your walking tour begins at Ocean Terminal". We are actually scheduled to be docking at the QEII terminal, so I wonder if that may have had something to do with that particular tour no longer being offered on our voyage.

Regards, John

Could be due to poor advance sales. Twice I was signed up to take ths tour. One time it was cancelled due to insufficient interest. Last December it was cancelled the afternoon before supposedly due to a safety inspection at the Titanic museum.

Following up on my earlier post to provide another data point about Cunard shore excursions from Southampton. Our upcoming 21-day round trip voyage from New York on QM2 in June 2018 (including a voyage to Norway) will have two days in Southampton (17 June and 24 June). For both of those days, Cunard is offering the following Southampton shore excursions in our Voyage Personaliser.

Cathedral City of Winchester

Prehistoric Stonehenge

Royal Windsor Castle

Bombay Sapphire Distillery

Half day and full day private car/minivan tours of Southampton

Full day private car/minivan tours of London

When the excursions were first posted on Voyage Personaliser a couple weeks ago, there was also a listing for the "Southampton Titanic Trail" excursion, but that has since disappeared. The description for that excursion states "Your walking tour begins at Ocean Terminal". We are actually scheduled to be docking at the QEII terminal, so I wonder if that may have had something to do with that particular tour no longer being offered on our voyage.

Regards, John

We did the Winchester tour this past September - it seemed a bit short, only an hour or so in town post cathedral tour, then the bus back to the ship in time for lunch.

We did the Winchester tour this past September - it seemed a bit short, only an hour or so in town post cathedral tour, then the bus back to the ship in time for lunch.
We did it independently last December by taking a train to Winchester. A short taxi ride from the ship to Southampton Central train station and about 20-25 minute ride from Southampton Central to Winchester. The Cathedral is a fairly easy walk from the Winchester train station since it is mostly down hill. You can make Cathedral tour reservations on the internet. Our tour had only 4 people, so we had a really good, interesting tour there. Lots of time to shop in town before or after going to the Cathedral. We walked back to the station, but some may wish to take a bus or taxi back to the station since it is an up hill walk.

Hi Lanky Lad, looks like you're still enjoying cruising with Cunard. We have done a B2B and loved every minute, it was lovely to know we weren't leaving the ship in New York. We booked a Cunard excursion which took us to places we missed last time we were there. Never got bored once and soon got into the routine of being on board for 14 days.

We are looking forward to our trip on QE in November to Canary Islands, its be a while since we cruised so really looking forward it it.

Catherine & Tony

Yes we are still cruising with Cunard. :D We are off on QV in April, to keep us going before QM2 in November.

I noticed that Cunard is showing a lot of Roundtrip crossings on the QM2. I wonder why someone would book that? Now we are real cruisers and that might appeal to us.

We have been fortunate to do two QM2 Roundtrip Trans Atlantic crossings - "lunch in New York darling". They were wonderful voyages and a real holiday rather than a cruise. No jet lag, Westbound you have 25 hour days on five of the seven days and back Westbound you lose an hour in bed for five days of the seven days; but a lye in and a late breakfast in bed more than compensates . The entire experience is amazing. Some days just float by (pun intended) sitting on a steamer chair watching the North Atlantic slide by.....we even forgot to have lunch one day........on a ship, surely unique. Other days were full of things....busy, busy, busy. Lunch or dinner in the cabin. Reading, chatting - NO INTERNET FOR 7 DAYS.....BLISS, I USED UP THE COMP. MINUTES IN NEW YORK. We travel a lot now as we are retired and have a bucket list of places to see. But when it comes to a real holiday we only consider QM2 to be the ultimate relaxation resort - at sea!

- We love it so much we are doing a Back-on-Back TA on QM2 3rd June this year, 2018. Southampton-Southampton.

- Try it if you have the time - it is a classic liner experience DOUBLED!!

Did our first transatlantic Queen Mary 2 last November. Only been on Brilliance of the sea some years ago. Although its a crossing it was very much a cruise for us. When you have a wheelchair uses this is a excellent ship. Spacious elegant welcoming. Plenty of deck space without annoying other travellers. Wined and dine on tap room service entertainment. My husband loves the sea and it's here in ocean loads.

Perfect!

So much so we have booked for longer December to the Caribbean.

• 1 month later...
Thank you so much! So glad to know others do this also. I looked into flights back after 2 nights in London (booked through Cunard) and it was nearly as much as just cruising back.

That's why we're doing a round trip. For 7 people to fly home was only $1000 less than an entire extra week on board. Easy decision. Honestly, even with 2 weeks I'm afraid we won't have enough time on board! ::D

We've done it twice, round trip NYC (well, Brooklyn). Once in August where we had fabulous summer weather all but one day; the second time in July where it rained every single day. You never know what you are going to get crossing the Atlantic. Would do it again in a heartbeat!

I love my BTB TA last year - so I am booked for another BTB TA for next year- can´t wait. I can highly recommend such a vacation for stressed out people- nothing is more soothing than two weeks on board the Mary- with nor more worries than which lounge to choose from- and deciding what to take for dinner...! Walk around the prommenade deck- enjoy the view- enjoy the wind. Perfect to relax and unwind!

Good morning,

We are sailing on a back to back on QM2 in July. Need some advice whilst in NY city please. We want to walk the Brooklyn bridge, then visit a certain camera shop at 420 9th Ave, maybe something to eat and back to the QM2. We are reasonably fit as walking the Santiago to Compostella Camino way (only 5-7 miles) in October again with Cunard. Is this possible and how to organise, can it all be walked, is it safe to walk etc? - ideas please from anybody who has knowledge of NYC.

Thanks in anticipation.

Photo Andy.

Good morning,

We are sailing on a back to back on QM2 in July. Need some advice whilst in NY city please. We want to walk the Brooklyn bridge, then visit a certain camera shop at 420 9th Ave, maybe something to eat and back to the QM2. We are reasonably fit as walking the Santiago to Compostella Camino way (only 5-7 miles) in October again with Cunard. Is this possible and how to organise, can it all be walked, is it safe to walk etc? - ideas please from anybody who has knowledge of NYC.

Thanks in anticipation.

Photo Andy.

Andy: I'm sure you'll get some excellent ideas from native New Yorkers. Here are my ideas: First it's a doable plan and perfectly safe. In case you didn't know, New York is now the safest big city in the US. I suggest taking a cab/Uber/Lyft from the Red Hook ship terminal in Brooklyn to the Brooklyn Bridge. Walk across it, it's great fun. That will put you in the City Hall area in lower Manhattan where you can catch a cab or subway to your camera shop. Have some lunch. Then for your return trip, you can meet Cunard's shuttle bus at Macy's, or do it on your own. On your own you can take a cab/Uber/Lyft all the way back to Red Hook, but note that due to traffic that would be slow. Or you can take a subway to somewhere near downtown Brooklyn and a cab from there.

Native New Yorkers will tell you about the closest subway station to the Red Hook terminal, but it's a rather long walk to the ship from there and through an industrial area, so not so pretty.

Have fun...I love exploring New York!

We are booked on the QM2 next April round trip from Southanmpton.

Reasons:

I've been to NY before but my other half hasn't so we get to visit there without having to fly.

Two weeks with lovely Cunard service, those fantastic beds and time to do what we want when we want.

Only having to endure the 'going ashore' process once.

Lots of books to read.

Having been on QE last year and QV this month, this adds the third queen to our list. And it's an ocean liner !!

Can't wait

Then for your return trip, you can meet Cunard's shuttle bus at Macy's, or do it on your own. On your own you can take a cab/Uber/Lyft all the way back to Red Hook, but note that due to traffic that would be slow. Or you can take a subway to somewhere near downtown Brooklyn and a cab from there.

There are some East River ferry options that will drop you off right at the Red Hook cruise terminal, including a trip down from East 34th Street (i.e., as far north as Macy"s). This would include sailing under several bridges including the Brooklyn Bridge. Same $2.75 fare as the subway.

https://www.ferry.nyc/routes-and-schedules/

Recommend:

• Taking ferry from Red Hook (right next to QM2) to Wall St Pier.
  • Short Walk to Wall St subway.
  • Take #2 or #3 uptown to 34th St/Penn Station.
  • Walk 2 blocks to Camera store on 9th at 34th
  • Walk back to 7th Ave Penn Station
  • (Optional - decent lunch at Tick-Tock Diner in New Yorker Hotel on 8th)
  • Take 2 or 3 back downtown to Fulton St.
  • (Optional - check out 9/11 Memorial and/or Museum & Freedom Tower)
  • Walk to Brooklyn Bridge (Keep your eye out for lunch if you haven't eaten yet)
  • Walk Brooklyn Bridge
  • Take cab back to ship

- Mark

OOPS - I changed my advice re subway lines and didn't completely re-edit. Here's how it should've read...

• Take ferry from Red Hook (right next to QM2) to Wall St Pier.
  • Short Walk to Wall St subway.
  • Take #2 or #3 uptown to 34th St/Penn Station.
  • Walk 2 blocks to Camera store on 9th at 34th
  • Walk back to 7th Ave Penn Station
  • (Optional - decent lunch at Tick-Tock Diner in New Yorker Hotel on 8th)
  • Take 2 or 3 back downtown
  • (Optional - get off at Fulton St check out 9/11 Memorial and/or Museum & Freedom Tower)
  • Walk to Brooklyn Bridge (Keep your eye out for lunch if you haven't eaten yet)
  • Walk Brooklyn Bridge
  • Take cab back to ship

- Mark

As another native (but a long time ago) NY'er, I'd suggest combining elements of the various suggested itineraries. The parts that appeal most to me are (1) the walk across Brooklyn Bridge, (2) the boat ride down the East River to the Red Hook Cruise Terminal, and (3) the Cunard bus from Macy's Department Store on 34th St (obviously the last two are alternatives -- can't do both).

Be aware, though, that although both Macy's and the ferry pier are both at 34th St, they're on almost opposite edges of Manhattan Island. That's a pretty long walk. And the worst traffic is on the crosstown (east-west) streets that a cab would need to use in getting from one to the other. Note also that the ship presumably will wait for the Cunard bus, but not for the ferry from 34th St, which could always encounter an unforeseen delay (even assuming the Saturday schedule shows a departure time that would work).

If it were me, I'd be inclined to do the Bridge walk and take the boat back from 34th St if the schedule looks workable, but allow lots and lots of time to get across town to the ferry pier.

As for lunch, keep in mind that Lower Manhattan and the Garment District (around 34th St once you're east of Macy's and towards the East River piers), most of the simple lunch places are closed on weekends. These are business neighborhoods, not tourist areas. But on Saturday or any other day you couldn't keep me away from the Second Avenue Deli at 162 E. 33d St (not on Second Av), en route to the ferry pier, which is one of the last two or three classic East European/Jewish deli's in NY (and just about in the whole US too). If you like, and/or have never had, a really good hot Roumanian pastrami sandwich, not to mention other "Jewish" foods, this is your place. Eat like a local (or like the locals used to eat, anyway).

Edited by Neuhoftraveler

The DUMBO ferry pier is right under the Brooklyn end of the Brooklyn bridge (I assumed it would be closer to the Manhattan Bridge, but go figure). I don't know how hard it is to get from the bridge pedestrian path to the river (maybe someone else has experience?) but it might be worth looking into.

I never used the Cunard Bus into Manhattan- I know the unload their passengers at Macy´s - and bring them back from exactly there. However, if you ask for the easiest way- I highly recommend the afore mentiones NY- Ferry- from Red Hook to Wall Street. From that point you can visist any place in Manhattan- wonderful experience- and it is wonderful to go by boat along the Skyline and under the Brooklyn Bridge! That ist also the cheapest way to get into town.

I was wondering if anyone has an idea of temperatures/weather on an eastbound crossing. We are sailing this 10th June. Will we need a jumper/light coat if wanting to walk on deck? I know the weather is extremely changeable from one June to another but a vague idea of what to pack for outdoors would be a great help. Thank you.

Our first time with Cunard was a Westbound crossing in 2016. It was such a fantastic experience we booked at RT crossing in 2017 and will complete our second RT later this year.

Other than the sheer joy of it, there is also some financial reasoning. All totaled, our round trip in '17 was only slightly more than the Westbound in '16. During our 1st time aboard the QM2, one of our dining companions mentioned that for the price of airfare to London we could have just sailed Eastbound also. Once we were home and did the math inclusive of airfare, the round trip was the basically the same (within a couple hundred) of a one way crossing. As long as time is no issue, I imagine that motivates some RT bookings.

Cheers!