Viking Guarantee Cabin

TrulyBlonde

I found a cruise of British Isles for August 25, 2018. All cabins were sold and they offered me a "Guarantee" cabin for Deluxe Balcony. I was told it would be midship on 5 or better. I have never done a Guarantee, but wanted this time and itinerary.

My concern is that I am reading on the Azamara boards about a customer just having their cruise cancelled while sitting at the airport. This was a Guarantee booking and it has alarmed me. I have already booked airfare, booked hotels, private tours etc.

My booking has been transferred from Viking to my TA. Just wondering if anyone has had this happen with Viking. Hoping for reassurance :)

Thank you.

We had a guarantee on our recent back to back in the Mediterranean. We ended up with a DV2 on deck 5, slightly aft of center. It was a great location. I would do a guarantee again

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We had a guarantee on our recent back to back in the Mediterranean. We ended up with a DV2 on deck 5, slightly aft of center. It was a great location. I would do a guarantee again

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you for responding. I am unfamiliar with the way Guarantees work and the Viking agent told me that I was guaranteed a cabin in the category I booked. After reading about a nightmare on Azamara, I was concerned I would get there and have nothing. The customer service on Viking has been wonderful and having a friend on the World Cruise helped me when deciding to book this cruise. I am sure it will all be wonderful.

Well, you made me Read my contract. I wonder if Viking did do the following to the letter, what the overall results would be.

" Cancellation by Viking: VIKING reserves the right to withdraw and/or cancel a cruise or to make changes in the itinerary involving any travel services and accommodations whenever, in its sole judgment, conditions warrant. In the event of charters of the vessels, lockouts, riots or stoppage of labor from whatever cause or for any other reason whatsoever, the Owner or Operator of the cruises identified in the Viking Advertising may, at any time, cancel, advance or postpone any scheduled cruise and may, but is not obliged to, substitute another facility or itinerary and VIKING shall not be liable for any loss whatsoever to guests by reason of any such cancellation, advancement or postponement.

VIKING shall not be required to refund any amount paid by any cruise guest who must leave the cruise prematurely for any reason, nor shall VIKING or the owners or operators of the cruise identified in any Viking Advertising be responsible for lodging, meals, return transportation or other expenses incurred by such guest. "

With multiple sales channels it must be very hard to manage inventory, so it's not a surprise to me that sometimes a ship will end up oversold. I assume (and have read posts on CC reflecting this experience) that cruise lines attempt to free up cabins by offering some passengers sweeteners to change cruises -- but if that fails, there will come a time when they must cancel somebody's reservation. And it just seems logical to me that the person booted will be one of those who hasn't yet been assigned a cabin. That is why I would never consider booking a guarantee -- yes, I've read many happy stories of how it worked out great, but to me the downside is too big a worry.

Well, you made me Read my contract. I wonder if Viking did do the following to the letter, what the overall results would be.

" Cancellation by Viking: VIKING reserves the right to withdraw and/or cancel a cruise or to make changes in the itinerary involving any travel services and accommodations whenever, in its sole judgment, conditions warrant. In the event of charters of the vessels, lockouts, riots or stoppage of labor from whatever cause or for any other reason whatsoever, the Owner or Operator of the cruises identified in the Viking Advertising may, at any time, cancel, advance or postpone any scheduled cruise and may, but is not obliged to, substitute another facility or itinerary and VIKING shall not be liable for any loss whatsoever to guests by reason of any such cancellation, advancement or postponement.

VIKING shall not be required to refund any amount paid by any cruise guest who must leave the cruise prematurely for any reason, nor shall VIKING or the owners or operators of the cruise identified in any Viking Advertising be responsible for lodging, meals, return transportation or other expenses incurred by such guest. "

The second paragraph seems completely valid to me.

As for the first, I imagine if Viking enacted this with any frequency and started cancelling cruises and itinerary stops without excellent reasons, their market share would take a nose dive. The cruise business is extremely competitive, and many of its customers are repeat cruisers. It’s just good business sense to keep them as happy as possible.

Our Guarantee is a DV2 Deluxe Balcony. They said that was all that was available and could only be purchased as a Guarantee. The location was fine and if upgraded that would be a bonus but not expecting it. I really wanted this time and itinerary, therefore took the gamble.

I assume if Viking did not honor their guarantees sales, word would get out and their reputation would quickly go into the tank.

Thanks all for the feedback. I feel better.

I have never seen a "Guarantee" cabin for sale on Viking Ocean. I have only seen "waitlist", which does not seem to have any meaning. I did enquire about one waitlist and was told there was not a "wait list".???

When I called to book it said there was 1 cabin available in the category I booked. When I called I was told they only had a Guarantee available in that same category. The website was misleading. The next day the cruise showed Sold Out. The day after that they had the same 1 cabin available in the category I booked. It was strange.

When I called to book it said there was 1 cabin available in the category I booked. When I called I was told they only had a Guarantee available in that same category. The website was misleading. The next day the cruise showed Sold Out. The day after that they had the same 1 cabin available in the category I booked. It was strange.

Your sailing is still 6 months out till the end of Feb. Some folks have to make final payment at 6 months mark. Maybe they will be some who cancel, which opens up various staterooms? This sailing's other dates are also sold out. Very popular cruise and sounds lovely.

We are booked leaving June 18 on the Trade Routes of the Middle Ages. We too booked a guarantee cabin. We booked a V2. We have no idea if we will be upgraded, but we will be happy with this cabin. FYI, this will be our first Viking cruise so we are very excited.

We’re also doing Trade Routes of the Middle Ages, but we’re going in April and it’s not sold out. I’m guessing most people would prefer to see Europe in warmer weather! :)

We will be with you on this sailing, and all things being equal, I would prefer slightly warmer weather, but not too hot, and not too crowded. Work scheduling was the final factor, so April it is! At least weather should hopefully be just right by the time we get Spain.

My concern is that I am reading on the Azamara boards about a customer just having their cruise cancelled while sitting at the airport. This was a Guarantee booking and it has alarmed me.

I have been following the exact same thread. Was wondering if someone here knows.... Does Viking overbook their cruises? And if so, how do they handle if they don't get enough cancellations and have an overbooked ship close to embark date? I would hope they don't do what Azamara and RCL apparently do, bullet call two days before with paltry compensation offered.

We will be with you on this sailing, and all things being equal, I would prefer slightly warmer weather, but not too hot, and not too crowded. Work scheduling was the final factor, so April it is! At least weather should hopefully be just right by the time we get Spain.

We like to avoid crowds, too, and usually travel off season when possible. And our 25th anniversary is in April (when we’ll be in Granada!), so that clinched it for us.

The weather in Spain should be perfect! Norway, not so much.

It’s our first cruise! So excited!

We are booked leaving June 18 on the Trade Routes of the Middle Ages. We too booked a guarantee cabin. We booked a V2. We have no idea if we will be upgraded, but we will be happy with this cabin. FYI, this will be our first Viking cruise so we are very excited.

Unfortunately, I wasn’t upgraded but I like our v2 cabin. As soon as you get on board go straight to the world cafe reservation desk to make your dinner reservations at the speciality restaurants

• 4 weeks later...

As long as we’re discussing guarantee cabins! We are doing the Rome to Miami crossing in December. This is total 23 nights, but actually encompasses two itineraries, Rome to Lisbon, and Lisbon to Miami. It is its own 23 night itinerary but some passengers will be on for shorter time. We have booked a guaranteed cabin.

I know it all depends, but, does the fact that other itineraries are booked for the same time period make a difference in cabin upgrade likelihood? It seems some cabins will be booked for the first trip but TAs are often not sold out. Any thoughts?

As long as we’re discussing guarantee cabins! We are doing the Rome to Miami crossing in December. This is total 23 nights, but actually encompasses two itineraries, Rome to Lisbon, and Lisbon to Miami. It is its own 23 night itinerary but some passengers will be on for shorter time. We have booked a guaranteed cabin.

I know it all depends, but, does the fact that other itineraries are booked for the same time period make a difference in cabin upgrade likelihood? It seems some cabins will be booked for the first trip but TAs are often not sold out. Any thoughts?

I wlll be on the TA starting March 27, it is now sold out up to the PV1 category, with 5 upper stateroom still available. The V2 caterogy is waitlisted.

the TA sailing that left on March 4 was also basically sold out by the time they sailed accordign to their roll call. I would not count on the TA you will be on having lots of cabins left open when you sail.

Good luck with your guarantee and hope you get a nice location for your cabin.

I called Viking Ocean right after I read the the post from the lady of the Azamara and shared what she was going through with a last minute cancellation and she was at the airport ready to board the plane. Viking Ocean advised "we do not do this" I did read the contract with the paragraph posted above however Viking Ocean assured me this will not happen. Just thought I would pass this along. I do have a guaranteed cabin booked and they have already given me a cabin number. I was so impress with the folks on the Cruise Critic sight that immediately jumped in to help the lady on the Azamara. Well done!

I wlll be on the TA starting March 27, it is now sold out up to the PV1 category, with 5 upper stateroom still available. The V2 caterogy is waitlisted.

the TA sailing that left on March 4 was also basically sold out by the time they sailed accordign to their roll call. I would not count on the TA you will be on having lots of cabins left open when you sail.

Good luck with your guarantee and hope you get a nice location for your cabin.

Actually we will be just fine with a V2. I wouldn’t book a guaranteed and get upset if I get what I paid for. Just asking because it covers two cruises and they will not give us separate cabins for the two legs. It seems more difficult for them this way. They need some V2s for the lowest advertised fare. My guess would be a small upgrade or none at all. Lower decks ride better ;p

Actually we will be just fine with a V2. I wouldn’t book a guaranteed and get upset if I get what I paid for. Just asking because it covers two cruises and they will not give us separate cabins for the two legs. It seems more difficult for them this way. They need some V2s for the lowest advertised fare. My guess would be a small upgrade or none at all. Lower decks ride better ;p

Did Viking tell you this? I'm in the same position --2 cruises booked as one. The double cruise is sold out and we're still a year out! I assumed Viking might have us move mid cruise. I was happy to get a guarantee and didn't question when I booked.

Thanks,

Cynthia

Did Viking tell you this? I'm in the same position --2 cruises booked as one. The double cruise is sold out and we're still a year out! I assumed Viking might have us move mid cruise. I was happy to get a guarantee and didn't question when I booked.

Thanks,

Cynthia

They did not and I didn’t ask. It is its own separate itinerary so cabin assignment is for the duration. It just throws an additional factor in determining assignments.

I have never seen an itinerary with guarantee cabins for sale. The trip I am looking at is all sold out except for 1 category DV2 and waitlist for V2. 2019

Are these guarantee cabins advertised by Viking or do only travel agents know about them.? Maybe I will just have to take the DV2 , but would have preferred DV 4 or DV 6 price wise.