The Met Opera, Munch Moments, Classical Music Performances

sandbag7

looking at the 2019-2020 Ocean Cruise Guide which references the above along with Ted Talks, BBC, Guest lecturers, etc. As to the music how many performances and of what type can we reasonably expect in 12 days or so? What venues are used? We’re looking at Northern Lights which is new so we are looking for general info. Thanks.

looking at the 2019-2020 Ocean Cruise Guide which references the above along with Ted Talks, BBC, Guest lecturers, etc. As to the music how many performances and of what type can we reasonably expect in 12 days or so? What venues are used? We’re looking at Northern Lights which is new so we are looking for general info. Thanks.

I was on a 15 day TA with lots of sea days.

We had Munch Moments every evening from 6-6:30 on the big screen on the first landing of the Living Room. There was live classical music played during this time.

Met Opera was on film in the theater , once or twice.

The resident historian gave talks in the theater at least four times with additional round tables in Torhavn and "office hours" during the morning in the Winter garden. There were three other lecturers, all in the theater. All these talks are also a available on your tv in your cabin. Ted talks in the smaller theater room. They were listed in the Daily.

We had a tenor on board that gave two performances in the evening at 6:30 and 9:30 pm in the theater twice during our cruise.

Other classical musicians played in Living room, explorer lounge.

I never had enough time to see and do everything on board!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We had Munch Moments every evening from 6-6:30 on the big screen on the first landing of the Living Room. There was live classical music played during this time.

Met Opera was on film in the theater , once or twice.

The resident historian gave talks in the theater at least four times with additional round tables in Torhavn and "office hours" during the morning in the Winter garden. There were three other lecturers, all in the theater. All these talks are also a available on your tv in your cabin. Ted talks in the smaller theater room. They were listed in the Daily.

We had a tenor on board that gave two performances in the evening at 6:30 and 9:30 pm in the theater twice during our cruise.

Other classical musicians played in Living room, explorer lounge.

I never had enough time to see and do everything on board!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

On our last 13 day cruise, the BBC was on the screen in one of the smaller screen areas, like the TED Talks. They support the itinerary. The musicians on board play all over the ship at different times and different venues. Most performances are around 30 minutes in the public venues. The Guitar player also played some in Torshavan. There is also a company of singers--(4 this cruise, with the new production company) They performed a few times . The Cruise Director and assistant CD also did a show in the theater and all 6 in another performance there.

We had a guest female performer and a comedic "Kreskin" type performer do 2 shows each. We also were treated to local music performance in Barcelona, Rome and Corfu brought on dancers, On our 15 day VH cruise, there were opera singers in Russia, Guest performer for 2 nights around mid cruise and a violinist in Bergen. So, some entertainment is dictated by destination. i'm just covering the stuff that wasn't detailed in the last post. Show usually run 45 to 60 minutes in the theater format.

What are Munch Moments? Are you saying it is something on a screen? Is the live music separate or a part of this? Thanks.

On our last 13 day cruise, the BBC was on the screen in one of the smaller screen areas, like the TED Talks. They support the itinerary. The musicians on board play all over the ship at different times and different venues. Most performances are around 30 minutes in the public venues. The Guitar player also played some in Torshavan. There is also a company of singers--(4 this cruise, with the new production company) They performed a few times . The Cruise Director and assistant CD also did a show in the theater and all 6 in another performance there.

We had a guest female performer and a comedic "Kreskin" type performer do 2 shows each. We also were treated to local music performance in Barcelona, Rome and Corfu brought on dancers, On our 15 day VH cruise, there were opera singers in Russia, Guest performer for 2 nights around mid cruise and a violinist in Bergen. So, some entertainment is dictated by destination. i'm just covering the stuff that wasn't detailed in the last post. Show usually run 45 to 60 minutes in the theater format.

Thanks; Is there a dedicated classical music ensemble on board, or do they mix classical with show tunes like some lines do?

Thanks; Is there a dedicated classical music ensemble on board, or do they mix classical with show tunes like some lines do?

There's a trio on the cruises I was on. Play short programs all over the ship at various venues in about 15-20 minute sets. There was even a cello concert. All these are in public areas

"Munch Moments" are when classical music (On the Midnight Sun cruise it was Greig) is played while art by Munch is shown on the big screen in the atrium. It is very pleasant.

Thanks Dhsamso; I’ve got a Munch “Madonna” print next to my computer and a “Scream” Mousepad cuz I’m old school; I prefer Norwegian landscape art, but I like the concept.

As to a 15 minute mini concert that is not appealing; being a traditional concert goer I prefer 45 minutes at a dedicated site or 30 at a minimum; well, now I know.

Thanks Dhsamso; I’ve got a Munch “Madonna” print next to my computer and a “Scream” Mousepad cuz I’m old school; I prefer Norwegian landscape art, but I like the concept.

As to a 15 minute mini concert that is not appealing; being a traditional concert goer I prefer 45 minutes at a dedicated site or 30 at a minimum; well, now I know.

Yes, it is strictly there to give background as the event is a "Munch" moment. In my opinion, it moved too slow and the interest was fleeting long before it was over. Didn't really know what to expect. Next time I'll opt for watching wallpaper dry but it's part of the cruise experience that you should definitely look into while on board I'm sure a traditional concert may be more interesting is some aspects. What you speak of was done on the Homelands cruise in Bergen. Not a formal concert in the theater but we gathered in the atrium and the violinist played about 6 or 7 numbers with some conversation in between. the selections were mainly those of composers from that area so it was destination focused. Knowing I was headed on the cruise, a few months before the local symphony did and evening featuring Grieg and Sibelius that I found delightful. An insight to feelings of the land that inspired them. I was amazed at how many I knew and remembered from Music Appreciation in elementary school. That was a long tome ago.

VO had the paid for rights to show the painting of Munch on board their ships.

These painting are more than the two you mentioned which are irconic of his style Many were of landscapes etc. Each evening there was a theme showing his paintings. Never the same each night.It was a lovely time to have a pre dinner cocktaill, listen to music and see the beautiful painting shown on the living room's screen.

I found it very interesting , informative and relaxing.

But everyone has their own idea of what they want to do before going to dinner on a cruise ship.

Yes, it is strictly there to give background as the event is a "Munch" moment. In my opinion, it moved too slow and the interest was fleeting long before it was over. Didn't really know what to expect. Next time I'll opt for watching wallpaper dry but it's part of the cruise experience that you should definitely look into while on board I'm sure a traditional concert may be more interesting is some aspects. What you speak of was done on the Homelands cruise in Bergen. Not a formal concert in the theater but we gathered in the atrium and the violinist played about 6 or 7 numbers with some conversation in between. the selections were mainly those of composers from that area so it was destination focused. Knowing I was headed on the cruise, a few months before the local symphony did and evening featuring Grieg and Sibelius that I found delightful. An insight to feelings of the land that inspired them. I was amazed at how many I knew and remembered from Music Appreciation in elementary school. That was a long tome ago.

I’ll definitely look into it; my father who was born in Germany played classical music all the time so I was born into it; I like Grieg though I prefer Nielsen, Atterberg or Pettersson, the latter two being amazing composers virtually unknown outside Scandinavia; I’ve never given Sibelius much of a listen except for the amazing violin concerto and one symphony; good time to expand my listening.

Thanks for all the info; it helped me decide to sign up for the Northern lights tour this coming January.