Originally posted by captainmcd
HelloHola, that too is a tough question. If you drop an anchor when the ship has forward momentum, the anchor will hit the bottom, grab or drag, and tension the anchor chain, which will lead aft. If you drop the port anchor and have much headway, it will turn the bow to port, or if you use the starboard anchor it will turn the bow to starboard. According to the AIS data the ship made a rapid turn to starboard when it had little headway, leading me to believe it must have used the bow thruster to turn to starboard. When anchoring with little headway the chain will stay "up and down" until the wind or current move the ship away from the spot where you let it go, and the bow will be pulled in the direction of the anchor, or into the wind or current. I don't think the anchor was dropped until the Concordia was near her final resting place.
Thanks for the detail explanation. Now that I think of it, your mentioning of the little headway leading to the starboard turn is an important clue. I am more convinced now that your theory is most likely correct.