Hello Mr Caluori
Thanks for taking time to talk to us.

My question regards the promenade deck. Can you explain why it was not possible to have a full external promenade? On virtually all other ships you could walk all the way round, even if it meant going up a deck at the bow.

Many thanks.

I too will miss the full wrap around Promenade. Walking around deck seven, so close to the ocean under the cover of the deck above is a wonderful experience that I will miss when I cruise on the Royal Princess.

The very first thing I noticed when I saw the Royal Princess for the first time was the absence of the wrap-around Promenade. I thought that was a brilliant design, and one that only Princess provided. I will definitely miss that.

I was thrilled to learn of the expanded buffet, and the many other new features. We look forward to our Halloween cruise.

When designing Royal Princess we wanted to maximize the number of outside cabins, which all have private balconies, with unobstructed views. This was possible by relocating the lifeboats and tenders to deck 7, hence we had to sacrifice the full promenade. We acknowledge this will be a disappointment to some of our loyal passengers but felt the opportunity to optimize the balcony experience could not be missed. Plus we have a fantastic walking & jogging track at the top of the ship with fantastic vistas.

We to will sorely miss the Promanade. I believe a small upper deck track will not be able to handle the traffic. We are booked for the TA but from what we have seen of the design this is likely the only voyage we will take on the Royal. Hope the TA will change our minds.

Dennis & Louise

I look forward to walking the promenade deck multiple times each day of my cruise. I am very disappointed that the Royal will not have a full wrap around deck. I'm sure many people feel the same way about this design flaw. Maybe this will be rectified on the Regal.

Very much indeed on these new ships.
Being a senior citizen and there are many of us in the Princess Family.I enjoyed my walking walk around the deck on a lower level of the ship.
Love the sea air.
Think most of us realized why the promenade deck had to go unfortunately.

[quote name='Rai Caluori']When designing Royal Princess we wanted to maximize the number of outside cabins, which all have private balconies, with unobstructed views. This was possible by relocating the lifeboats and tenders to deck 7, hence we had to sacrifice the full promenade. We acknowledge this will be a disappointment to some of our loyal passengers but felt the opportunity to optimize the balcony experience could not be missed. Plus we have a fantastic walking & jogging track at the top of the ship with fantastic vistas.[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]It seems there could have been other designs that would have saved the Promenade and increasing the revenue generating balcony cabins. Didn't Crystal Symphony do that by tucking the boats under the exterior Promenade? It just seems to me that the non revenue generating amenities of the Princess ships that made them special have been replaced in this design with ways to increase the bottom line. Granted, this may be something necessary for the current cruise line business model, but it's unfortunate to see Princess lose what has made it unique all these years. [/FONT]

[quote name='bdjam'][FONT=Comic Sans MS]It seems there could have been other designs that would have saved the Promenade and increasing the revenue generating balcony cabins. Didn't Crystal Symphony do that by tucking the boats under the exterior Promenade? It just seems to me that the non revenue generating amenities of the Princess ships that made them special have been replaced in this design with ways to increase the bottom line. Granted, this may be something necessary for the current cruise line business model, but it's unfortunate to see Princess lose what has made it unique all these years. [/FONT][/QUOTE]

Yea, very well said, indeed. Thanks for your good thoughts.

We are also disappointed that the Promenade deck does not go all the way around the ship. Luckily, there are still many ships in the Princess fleet that still have them so for now we don't have any plans to sail on the new ships. For us that is a very important feature of a cruise ship.

[quote name='bdjam'][FONT=Comic Sans MS]It seems there could have been other designs that would have saved the Promenade and increasing the revenue generating balcony cabins. Didn't Crystal Symphony do that by tucking the boats under the exterior Promenade? It just seems to me that the non revenue generating amenities of the Princess ships that made them special have been replaced in this design with ways to increase the bottom line. Granted, this may be something necessary for the current cruise line business model, but it's unfortunate to see Princess lose what has made it unique all these years. [/FONT][/QUOTE]

Crystal's other ship, SERENITY, is the one with the tenders "tucked under" the Promenade. On SYMPHONY the boats are placed traditionally above the promenade deck. We have cruised on Symphony and not yet on Serenity. They both have promenade decks that encircle the ship. Symphony has more of a connection with the sea, since you can see through the rails to the water, while on Serenity, the rails are solid. Serenity has ocean view cabins on about half of the Promenade deck and the other half has public rooms.

My husband and I cruised on the original Royal Princess in her inaugural year and she was the first all-outside cabin ship. We had an outside cabin on Promenade deck and the obstruction was very slight. We loved it because we could notice something outside our window and then be on deck in a minute or two to photograph it.

A promenade deck allows one to have a very expansive view of nature. In our case, that was Glacier Bay.

We don't care as much as some do about having a promenade deck that fully encircles the ship, but we do very much want a promenade deck that is open for walking and preferably also lounging. (Added note: the original Royal Princess did not have lounge chairs on Promenade deck, but I brought my own folding chair and had the only chair on deck. ;) )

The new "Royal" Princess looks not the least bit royal to us, unfortunately. I think it is unfortunate that a mainstream ship that carries soooooooooo many passengers ([B]way too many passengers[/B]) won't offer outside cabins and that there will not be a promenade deck.

[quote=Cruisin'Rabbit;38541341]Yea, very well said, indeed. Thanks for your good thoughts.[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]I don't mean to put a dark cloud over discussion about the new ship, but if Mr. Calouri is reading this forum, I think there's no better way to get objective comments to the top brass at Princess. While Royal Princess will have the walking track, it's a totally different experience 15 stories above the sea than on a proper Promenade with the sea spray and the sea so close.[/FONT]

[quote name='Oceans&Rivers']Crystal's other ship, SERENITY, is the one with the tenders "tucked under" the Promenade. [/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Yes you're right - sorry about missing the ship! And I do believe that Symphony's design mirrored the original Royal Princess - in those days the ship yard owned the design and as able to use it to build Symphony and Harmony.[/FONT]

[quote name='bdjam'][FONT=Comic Sans MS]I don't mean to put a dark cloud over discussion about the new ship, but if Mr. Calouri is reading this forum, I think there's no better way to get objective comments to the top brass at Princess. While Royal Princess will have the walking track, it's a totally different experience 15 stories above the sea than on a proper Promenade with the sea spray and the sea so close.[/FONT][/QUOTE]

I agree with you completely. I never use upper walking tracks other than to go between the public lounges fore and aft.

[quote name='bdjam'][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Yes you're right - sorry about missing the ship! And I do believe that Symphony's design mirrored the original Royal Princess - in those days the ship yard owned the design and as able to use it to build Symphony and Harmony.[/FONT][/QUOTE]

Having cruised on both Royal Princess (now Artemis) and Crystal Symphony (and toured Crystal Harmony extensively), there are indeed similarities, most strongly noticed in the promenade deck and the tiered aft decks which are open to all passengers, not shut off to the few who book aft-facing cabins.

The aft decks of all three ships I mentioaed are lovely, in addition to the promenade decks.

Our favorite promenade decks are however on the S-class and maybe R-class of HAL, because there is room for walkers and also lovely loungers that face the sea.

[quote name='bdjam'][FONT=Comic Sans MS]It seems there could have been other designs that would have saved the Promenade and increasing the revenue generating balcony cabins. Didn't Crystal Symphony do that by tucking the boats under the exterior Promenade? It just seems to me that the non revenue generating amenities of the Princess ships that made them special have been replaced in this design with ways to increase the bottom line. Granted, this may be something necessary for the current cruise line business model, but it's unfortunate to see Princess lose what has made it unique all these years. [/FONT][/QUOTE]Nobody loves a wraparound Promenade more than me. I like to get up very early to do my morning run followed by a 10 lap walk midmorning with my wife. But, I have been following construction of the Royal for over a year and a half and I think the abundance of new features far outweigh the loss of the wraparound Promenade Deck. Many, if not most, of the new features and design are to generate revenue, but there are also many new and exciting features included in the cost of the fare. We are looking forward to the three cruises we have booked on the Royal.

[quote name='billco']Nobody loves a wraparound Promenade more than me. I like to get up very early to do my morning run followed by a 10 lap walk midmorning with my wife. But, I have been following construction of the Royal for over a year and a half and I think the abundance of new features far outweigh the loss of the wraparound Promenade Deck. Many, if not most, of the new features and design are to generate revenue, but there are also many new and exciting features included in the cost of the fare. We are looking forward to the three cruises we have booked on the Royal.[/QUOTE]

I guess it all depends on which features you feel are important - but the promenade itself isn't the root issue - it's the trend the design represents and the apparent ignorance of what has made Princess special - represented by the elimination of the promenade in favor of revenue generating staterooms - that is of concern. I don't doubt that Royal Princess will be successful - but at the cost of the Princess identity. Good or bad? We will see.

In the meantime there's really nothing in the features presented by Royal Princess that would make me rush to book her.

I lament the loss of the wraparound promenade, but I do not even like the promenade on the newer Princess ships,..I find them much too narrow and I am not a fan of the stairs that you must take to make a complete circle. I am glad to see the new walking/running track on the upper deck...originally most of the ships had them but then they disappeared when the Sanctuary was added. At least there will be an option, and fortunately that track does not appear to be close to the pools, so people won't be moving loungers near/on the track as used to happen.

We will just have to wait and see what it is all really like!

[quote name='sunsetbeachgal']I lament the loss of the wraparound promenade, but I do not even like the promenade on the newer Princess ships,..I find them much too narrow and I am not a fan of the stairs that you must take to make a complete circle. I am glad to see the new walking/running track on the upper deck...originally most of the ships had them but then they disappeared when the Sanctuary was added. At least there will be an option, and fortunately that track does not appear to be close to the pools, so people won't be moving loungers near/on the track as used to happen.

We will just have to wait and see what it is all really like![/QUOTE]

Yes, these are all good points. Well said!

[quote name='Oceans&Rivers']

Our favorite promenade decks are however on the S-class and maybe R-class of HAL, because there is room for walkers and also lovely loungers that face the sea.[/quote]
Have to agree with that!
Love those traditional HAL ships, with their teak decks and wooden steamer lounger's, a lap blanket, and a steward serving a steamy cup of pea soup, as you cruise along, viewing glacier's....it just doesn't get much better than that...:)

A ship without a Promenade deck would have no soul, no romance. The Promenade is a link to all the earlier liners. As you walk along you can imagine Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers dancing on the deck or see Cary Grant and Deborah Kerr learning on the rail.

My morning walk on the Promenade is my favorite part of the day and I absolutely will not sail on a ship that does not have one. It's depressing to see how Princess is doing away with anything that does not bring in money. The card rooms are gone, the library on some ships is now just a few shelves in the compute room, and the library space is a Godiva chocolate shop. With all the food onboard why would anyone need to buy chocolate?

I realize that cruise prices are a bargain but do they really need to do away with some of the things that used to make Princess special?

Archived