St Thomas or Grand Turk

sflinch

Trying to choose best location for snorkeling and with whom...

Cruising on Carnival Magic April 21 - 28, 2018. Islands are Amber Cove, St Thomas, San Juan and Grand Turk. Should I do excursion with Carnival or a private operator. I have done private tours on my own, so that does not bother me. I have done tours with the ship and find them rather crowded, but I would do again if best option. I have snorkeled before, quite a few times, but my 30 something daughter has not, I am looking forward to blowing her mind with an awesome snorkel experience.......so please give me your best info!!!

I have narrowed it down to either Grand Turk or St Thomas. We will be in Grand Turk from 12PM to 6PM and in St Thomas from 11:30AM to 7PM.

Thank You for any info and experience you can provide me, to make this a memorable time with my daughter!! :D

We just did this same itinerary and ship back in March. I would probably snorkel at St Thomas, and just hang out on the beach in Grand Turk. We did the Turtle snorkel in St Thomas and it was okay, saw a few turtles, then did a snorkel boat in Grand Turk which was about equal.

Neither were really best snorkeling we have ever done...but that may have been due to being afternoon tours at both ports, and so many other people on islands, so crowded!

If we go back to either port, we are going to dive instead.

• 3 weeks later...

We went to St Thomas and took a ferry to St John. From there, we went to a beach that had a snorkeling option. They have a snorkeling "trail" with markers set up identifying fish and such. It wasn't "mind blowing", but i did see some pretty impressive coral, some puffer fish and squid---both of which I had not seen before. It was Trunk Bay in the VI National Park.

• 2 months later...

My vote would be for St Thomas and Coki Beach. We have been here twice and the snorkeling was amazing and the second time we decided to do a little discover scuba from there to adventure out a little more. We personally love snorkeling here.

Look in my signature line (expand it) for my St Thomas reviews and click on the Coki beach review. There's TONS AND TONS of pictures of the snorkeling and it will give you an idea of what you'll see. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I dove at Grand Turk with Blue water divers about 10 or so years ago. Had a great time. They have a wall about 1/4 - 1/2 mile off shore. Saw a few large turtles and a Hammerhead while down there. Grand Turk doesn't have as much as some of the other ports so it's beach, diving or jimmy buffets (well at least those were the options back when)

• 3 weeks later...

We have done a sailboat over to St. John twice and also did a catamaran as a ship excursions. All were unbelievable! Loved the sailboat the best. Max 6 people.

We were going to stay on st. Thomas this time but the hurricanes changed all that. Western Caribbean here we come! Again, lol!

• 3 weeks later...

I would do a snorkel excursion---or take a taxi-- on St. Thomas. Coki is pretty, but quite crowded. I have a blog of many of the beaches we snorkeled at on St. Thomas here: St. Thomas snorkeling

We've tried a couple places on Grand Turk, but found the snorkeling right by the port to be pretty good. Plus the free lounge chairs and Margaritaville pool right there are great. I have pictures of Grand Turk snorkeling here: Grand Turk

• 2 weeks later...

St. John is one of the most beautiful places on earth! On land and under the sea!! I am sure St. Thomas has nice snorkeling, too. I fly in there and get to St. John as soon as possible! It is my happy place of all the places I have ever been! And so many beautiful places to snorkel!! Some of them might not look the same after Irma and Maria, but a lot of it still looks beautiful!