Summit Prnthouse suite: question about the piano

Airspeed

Hi,

Going on the Bermuda cruise lastvweek in May/first days of June. Anyone who has been in these cabins before: does the piano use floppy disks to play, of CDs? The reason I ask is because I might pick up some self-playing music on eBay before we criuse. I suspect it is a Yamaha Disklavier driven by 3 1/2 inch floppy disks.

Thanks!

Hi,

Going on the Bermuda cruise lastvweek in May/first days of June. Anyone who has been in these cabins before: does the piano use floppy disks to play, of CDs? The reason I ask is because I might pick up some self-playing music on eBay before we criuse. I suspect it is a Yamaha Disklavier driven by 3 1/2 inch floppy disks.

Thanks!

I would not waste your money. We have not sailed on Summit but have been in the PH on Constellation, Millennium, Eclipse and Equinox. The pianos just do not work (unless you can actually play) and our butlers have told us that they do not work on any ship.

However, you can still make the most of them, I have used it for our wedding photograph when we have cruised for a special anniversary, decorated them for Christmas and they are great for a large box of chocolates and a vase of flowers.

Several years ago we had a cabin crawl where the occupants of the PH opened their suite to us. They actually set up a nice reception with finger foods etc and the butler was there assisting. The piano was a hot topic and he essentially indicated the same as project gal - the piano's are significantly out of tune as they aren't serviced/maintained.

As indicated it is more of a decorative element to the suite.

We have sailed in the PH on both M Class and S Class ships. We have found the CD on the piano has worked more times than not. The big issue for us is the volume.

The minimum volume level is still quite loud inside the PH and we were hesitant to play it for any extended period of time out of respect for our neighbours.

All in all, I wouldn’t have any problem if Celebrity decided to remove the piano.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would not waste your money. We have not sailed on Summit but have been in the PH on Constellation, Millennium, Eclipse and Equinox. The pianos just do not work (unless you can actually play) and our butlers have told us that they do not work on any ship.

However, you can still make the most of them, I have used it for our wedding photograph when we have cruised for a special anniversary, decorated them for Christmas and they are great for a large box of chocolates and a vase of flowers.

We were in the Penthouse on Eclipse last year and the piano worked. Both the automatic music function worked or you could play manually. Either way was very loud though so we only played with it once or twice. I found it to be a waste of space.

The "player" pianos in both Penthouse suites on Silhouette and Eclipse function. They use CDs. We were in Penthouse cabins on both ships within the past couple months.

But ... they are out of tune. The pianos are really just for looks and to make people say "Wow! There's a piano in that suite".

The most we have ever used the pianos for .... its a good place to put your dirty laundry bags so the butler sees it when they come in the suite.

- Don

The "player" pianos in both Penthouse suites on Silhouette and Eclipse function. They use CDs. We were in Penthouse cabins on both ships within the past couple months.

But ... they are out of tune. The pianos are really just for looks and to make people say "Wow! There's a piano in that suite".

The most we have ever used the pianos for .... its a good place to put your dirty laundry bags so the butler sees it when they come in the suite.

- Don

My sweetheart wife just reminded me ....

Some of the pianos have a "record as you play" function that is very, very cool !

Our grand daughter would play the piano and then play back her recording.

She had a great time !

-- Don

On the Millie and on Summit there was some recorded music that played back. On Millie it was limited to ‘Mad World’....On Eclipse, nothing recorded and no instructions to work...perhaps we should have asked...

Personally, on S class, I would get rid of the piano (however useful for placing the chocolates on) and extend the balcony inwards to make it less long and thin! You could design a great outside dining space!

Only piano we have ever had working and with discs provided was the Royal Suite on RC Freedom of the Seas...It was a novelty for a few minutes....

Hi,

Thanks!

We returned yesterday from 11 days in the penthouse on Reflection. It was a CD-based Yamaha. The existing disc had a nice variety of music with over 100 songs. We had it playing daily.

We booked the reflection suite for the next cruise and will miss piano.

Several years ago, we were on one of the M ships in the FV directly above one of the Penthouse Suites. Our downstairs occupants threw a party one afternoon and the featured piano player from one of the showroom performances was there and played for the guests.

We were in the PH on Summit twice last year (6148) and the piano did absolutely work! We used it at a couple of parties we hosted and our children loved it. The old style floppy discs worked and there were 3 discs in the storage section of the piano stool.

If you are in 6148, look out for the notes that my children hid - including one near the piano!!

have a great cruise

Julie Jean

OK first of all for those that talk about the instrument quality and out of tune issues: I know the tuner for the Summit, I've talked to him, he tunes them on the Summit before each departure. However, the way I practice, I always have a tuning hammer by my side. I was classically trained, my professor used to yell at me: "Why are you playing this passage quietly?" My answer: "it is marked pianissimo". His answer: "You never play quiet, you just play less loudly, a concert pianist projects their sound!" That often can make a string slip in a unison, so I always ready to bring a note back up.

Second of all, having owned Bösendorfer, Blüthner, and others, I have to say that the Yamaha Conservatory Series, which by appearance seems to be what these Penthouse pianos really are, are quite good (I am drawing this conclusion by looking at the beveling of the lid). I have a huge 7'4" version of one of those here at home. This means, yes, the piano, during the cruise, will be played and practiced on. Neighbors are always free to jump overboard into the sea if they so wish.

But for the other replies: Thank you, this obviously takes the ancient floppy disks. Much appreciated for helping me out!

We were in the PH on Summit twice last year (6148) and the piano did absolutely work! We used it at a couple of parties we hosted and our children loved it. The old style floppy discs worked and there were 3 discs in the storage section of the piano stool.

If you are in 6148, look out for the notes that my children hid - including one near the piano!!

have a great cruise

Julie Jean

6148 is us! Will look for the notes! ;p

• 3 months later...

OK definitely can now update this thread:

The piano is a Yamaha C1 baby grand. "C" stands for "Conservatory Series". It is 5'3", it is a baby grand of Yamaha's higher quality model lineup. The quality of the instrument is quite good (I am very critical of piaons), it is in excellent shape, and the player "discklavier" works very well.

Needless to say I get a lot of practice in now...

We are in the SS next door - is the piano really close to the connecting door, or is it supposedly loud next door just because the piano is loud? I just hope we get someone who is respectful and doesn't play it all hours!

We are in the SS next door - is the piano really close to the connecting door, or is it supposedly loud next door just because the piano is loud? I just hope we get someone who is respectful and doesn't play it all hours!

Piano is powerful. I will not let it be played at night. Has it bothered you? Please let me know...

Piano is powerful. I will not let it be played at night. Has it bothered you? Please let me know...

We haven't gone yet...you sound like someone who would be aware of your neighbors, some may not. I know I "chose" that SS but it has many nice features over other SS's, so I can't really complain when the guests in the PH do play it, I just hope they have enough sense not to do it very early or very late.

We haven't gone yet...you sound like someone who would be aware of your neighbors, some may not. I know I "chose" that SS but it has many nice features over other SS's, so I can't really complain when the guests in the PH do play it, I just hope they have enough sense not to do it very early or very late.

Maybe you should get together for an evening soiree? Even better , put me up in a stateroom and i will entertain you all free of charge . I am a pro pianist and singer !

Sadly, as others have said, the pianos are for decoration only.

Disagree. It is a good instrument, well maintained, and they tune it before every departure. I worked on Chopin Ballade no. 2 and Beethoven Tempest while on the cruise.